The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, I was a little disappointed. From a non-technical observer. It seemed that when the guitarist would play lower end notes that we almost heard a low hum with each note. Weird as it was fine with all the Hendrix like guitar sqeeling but that haunted me through the show. I don’t lmention these things to my wife because she always says, “I wouldn’t have noticed if you didn’t say anything.” So maybe better you saved your travel dollars. Volume was fine thank goodness.

Although I managed to fall off a ladder yesterday, (stupid 'older' man!) I'm intending to head down to Sydney tonight to see three bands of which I'm acquainted. Kieren's Love Minus Zero, Keith's The Smart Folk and Di and Fab's Fast Cars. I managed to play on one of the tracks of FC's latest album so I should say hello!

Rick Wakeman on Sunday night. His playing is still flawless and stunningly beautiful. And the man is absolutely hysterical. He could easily have a second career as a stand-up comic. Although I don't normally splurge on such things, this time I paid for the meet and greet. It was totally worth it. We got an hour long q&a session that was a riot, he took photos with everyone and signed autographs. Plus he played a song that he didn't do in the show that night. See him if you can.

rw.jpg

I'm going to see Richard Thompson's 70th birthday bash at the Royal Albert Hall tonight. The list of guests is insane...

I was there as well! The diversity of guests was remarkable (e.g., Bob Mould, Dave Gilmour) and the choice of songs (many from outside RT's own compositions) held some surprises. A real treat to catch Maddy Prior and Ashley Hutchings, and most of all, the sublime acoustic bass of Danny Thompson, which for me was the highlight of the evening. Eliza Carthy tour de force...and even some Spinal Tap. Lousy handheld videos are widespread on YouTube but don't capture it too well (surprised that there did not seem to be any professional videography).

I was fortunate to be third row center on the floor. :D The Royal Albert Hall is a must-see wonder for when you 4-eared fellows and gals visit the UK!

Last night we drove up to Santa Fe and saw Jonathan Richman - it'd been several years since we've seen him. Very small venue, maybe 100 seats, and sold out. Promoter stepped up just before the show to do his usual "thanks for coming" talk and advised everyone to keep the phones on silent and in their pockets - no photo/video. Yay!

Jonathan came on a couple minutes after that, accompanied as usual by Tommy Larkin on drum. As always, Jonathan does not have a setlist prepared, he just makes things up as he goes and Tommy does his best to follow. Lots of banter both during and in between songs, poetry set to his music, songs in Italian, Spanish, Hindu etc.....very entertaining evening....several times he had the audience in stitches.

Went to see the first of ENO’s autumn season of four Orpheus themed operas at the London Coliseum last night:

P1020199.JPG

A very wacky production set in the 1950s which had rather too much slapstick and new dialogue for its own good, but great to see and hear bass-baritone Willard White again.

Last edited:
Wow! Can't believe you were able to take the camera in.......great photos.
Thanks GOS!
I called the theater in advance asking if I could bring my camera and was told "no professional cameras allowed". I told him what I had (Pentax K-5 IIs), and he said that should be fine. :D
Turns out nobody was checking bags anyway.

Thanks GOS!
I called the theater in advance asking if I could bring my camera and was told "no professional cameras allowed". I told him what I had (Pentax K-5 IIs), and he said that should be fine. :D
Turns out nobody was checking bags anyway.
Outstanding photos!

Sent from my K5000 using Tapatalk

Really enjoyed last night at Covent Garden:

DP1.JPG

DP2.JPG

A witty, fast paced production that allowed the comic skills of the singers to flourish, none more so than Bryn Terfel of course. The ROH orchestra were in fabulous form, positively skipping though all the shows sparkling numbers. A wonderful way to dispel the cold of an autumnal day.

What a brilliant gig, BBT what an amazing bunch of musicians, and the support Sweet Billy Pilgrim (as a duo) were great as well. Good to meet up with svengaleekie as well.
Yes I can back Duncan up, the gig was amazing, If any of you get the chance to see Big Big Train, don't hesitate.

Last edited:
Back