The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell us what tonights Magenta gig was like - I still haven't got to see them!
This gig by Magenta at Acapela Studios Cardiff was semi acoustic, Rob only played piano, they played music from Rob's Sanctuary album, previous incarnation Trippa, popular Magenta songs such as Lust and Trojan, along with Kate Bush's The Man With the Child in His Eyes and
Shirley Bassey's Diamonds Are Forever, a very enjoyable experience!

Got an unusual gig coming up...so my wife was asked to give 2 conferences in Budapest on Thanksgiving week (of COURSE I'll taga long!) so we look into a couple of classical music concerts; on the 26th and the 27th...and we got tickets....
about 3 days ago I check into my QQ home and somehow found out that Djabe , which I thought were turkish (silly rabbit, Trix are for KIDS!) are actually HUNGARIAN!!!!
AND, they are playing on the 27th opening up for Simon Phillips in Budapest!!!!!
So... I got tickets to see them and got in touch with them asking them to bring a copy of every DVD-A to the gig, to which Attila (the guitar player) responded VERY promptly and professionallly...
Will report back...

Last night my brother and me sat totally mesmerised, in the New Theatre Oxford.

If we were to close our eyes, we could really believe the band on the stage were the actual band...it was that good!!

They started in 1988 and 31 years later they are still the best at producing one of the most entertaining shows we have seen.

And who are we talking about?

The Australian Pink Floyd that's who.
https://www.aussiefloyd.com/the-band
The closing number was Comfortably Numb....and we were, with complete pleasure.
I cannot recommend these guys and girls enough folks.

Last edited:
Last night my brother and me sat totally mesmerised, in the New Theatre Oxford.

If we were to close our eyes we could really believe the band on the stage were the actual band...it was that good!!

They started in 1988 and 31 years later they are still the best at producing one of the most entertaining shows we have seen.

And who are we talking about?

The Australian Pink Floyd that's who.
https://www.aussiefloyd.com/the-band
The closing number was Comfortably Numb....and we were with complete pleasure.
I cannot recommend these guys and girls enough folks.
I've seen them a couple of times they are very good

This new entry is for Pupster specifically. Yes, I could send him a personal message but...whatever. You were excited by the LA line-up at Experience Hendrix and then I told you abut the bad sound. Conversation ended. I just went on yet another 'Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise ' and now I realize why I love it SO MUCH. The sound everywhere on the boat is PERFECT. The line up this year was:
Taj Mahal
Keb' Mo'
Los Lobos
Tab Benoit’s Whiskey Bayou feat. Eric Johanson & Alastair Greene
Latimore
Tommy Castro & The Painkillers
Ronnie Baker Brooks
Mindi Abair & The Boneshakers
Rick Estrin & The Nightcats w/ Special Guest Fillmore Slim
Vintage Trouble
Mike Zito 7-pc. Big Band
Mr. Sipp (The Mississippi Blues Child)
Anthony Paule Soul Orchestra feat. Wee Willie Walker & Terrie Odabi
The Proven Ones: Kid Ramos, Anthony Geraci, Willie J. Campbell, Jimi Bott, Brian Templeton
Southern Avenue
Kelly Finnigan & The Atonements
Christone "Kingfish" Ingram
Willie K & The Warehouse Blues Band
Super Chikan & The Fighting Cocks
Dawn Tyler Watson
Corey Ledet Zydeco
John Primer & Steve Bell
Brother Yusef

& others. What makes this SO GOOD for the wife and I year after year? The sound is beefed up and run perfectly everywhere on the boat from the big stages to the little bar rooms. Good sound is what it is ALL about.

This new entry is for Pupster specifically. Yes, I could send him a personal message but...whatever. You were excited by the LA line-up at Experience Hendrix and then I told you abut the bad sound. Conversation ended. I just went on yet another 'Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise ' and now I realize why I love it SO MUCH. The sound everywhere on the boat is PERFECT. The line up this year was:
Taj Mahal
Keb' Mo'
Los Lobos
Tab Benoit’s Whiskey Bayou feat. Eric Johanson & Alastair Greene
Latimore
Tommy Castro & The Painkillers
Ronnie Baker Brooks
Mindi Abair & The Boneshakers
Rick Estrin & The Nightcats w/ Special Guest Fillmore Slim
Vintage Trouble
Mike Zito 7-pc. Big Band
Mr. Sipp (The Mississippi Blues Child)
Anthony Paule Soul Orchestra feat. Wee Willie Walker & Terrie Odabi
The Proven Ones: Kid Ramos, Anthony Geraci, Willie J. Campbell, Jimi Bott, Brian Templeton
Southern Avenue
Kelly Finnigan & The Atonements
Christone "Kingfish" Ingram
Willie K & The Warehouse Blues Band
Super Chikan & The Fighting Cocks
Dawn Tyler Watson
Corey Ledet Zydeco
John Primer & Steve Bell
Brother Yusef

& others. What makes this SO GOOD for the wife and I year after year? The sound is beefed up and run perfectly everywhere on the boat from the big stages to the little bar rooms. Good sound is what it is ALL about.
Wow Wow Wow, Amazing stuff, jealous as hell man, most concerts I've been to don't sound that great, so really happy for you! 🤯

Last night was our Portland Cello Project show. I was looking forward to it as we've seen them a couple times before and the venue for the show was one we quite like (small seated theatre). The line-up for their short bursts of tours can fluctuate in size - this time we had 5 cello, trumpet, drums, bass and a singer for as little more than half the pieces.

They opened with 4 or 5 songs before playing all of Radiohead's "OK Computer." I'd have much preferred a mixed set of their repertoire as I'm not really a Radiohead guy. Drums started off way too loud in the mix, drowning out everything else except the annoying blaring trumpet (I didn't mind the trumpet when played in a more subtle manner) - it's the Portland CELLO Project....I could barely hear any cello ffs. Unfortunately the first song also included the drum solo (the road to hell is paved with drum solos). Okay, they got mix under control a few songs in, but then the singer came out for the Radiohead stuff and I thought she was dreadful...like maybe she was one the bands girlfriends or something?

So, not quite the evening I would have liked but oh well, it happens once in a while. For this type of show maybe I'll stick to the Sybarite 5....like them better.

Friday night I was in the nitty gritty of the Delta Blues world. Jimmy "Duck" Holmes was celebrating that his album was in the blues chart and this gig was in his 1940's style club, the Blue Front Cafe in Bentonia, Mississippi..and it was full...had a LOT of fun thanks to our great frien Gloria Elaine...
duck.jpeg

Last Wednesday 13th Nov, Bro and me sat through nearly 3 fantastic hours with Steve Hackett and his band. The venue was Portsmouth Guildhall. It was packed with a lot of peeps nodding, stomping, applauding and singing along with this man's virtuosity. He played the album 'Selling England by the Pound' by Genesis in it's entirety. I won't give any more spoilers as I know Duncan is seeing him in Bath. (the Genesis album run through was announced for the tour)

I have such a dilemma for tomorrow.
Two bands I want to see in Atlanta, GA on the same day.

A rock band that I only recently discovered called the Menzingers VS the Pineapple Thief.
I only just found out that Pineapple Thief were touring the USA for the first time and the kick off is in Atlanta tomorrow night.
Guess I need to eat the Menzingers ticket I bought. Being a Pennsylvania band, I guess they will be back around my parts at some point.

Have never seen the Pineapple Thief but I have seen Gavin play with PT and he is phenomenal.
+ Maybe they will have Bruce's new deluxe album at the merch table for something more reasonable for the US$.

Last Wednesday 13th Nov, Bro and me sat through nearly 3 fantastic hours with Steve Hackett and his band. The venue was Portsmouth Guildhall. It was packed with a lot of peeps nodding, stomping, applauding and singing along with this man's virtuosity. He played the album 'Selling England by the Pound' by Genesis in it's entirety. I won't give any more spoilers as I know Duncan is seeing him in Bath. (the Genesis album run through was announced for the tour)
Seeing Steve Hackett tomorrow in Bath with my brother :rocks

I have such a dilemma for tomorrow.
Two bands I want to see in Atlanta, GA on the same day.

A rock band that I only recently discovered called the Menzingers VS the Pineapple Thief.
I only just found out that Pineapple Thief were touring the USA for the first time and the kick off is in Atlanta tomorrow night.
Guess I need to eat the Menzingers ticket I bought. Being a Pennsylvania band, I guess they will be back around my parts at some point.

Have never seen the Pineapple Thief but I have seen Gavin play with PT and he is phenomenal.
+ Maybe they will have Bruce's new deluxe album at the merch table for something more reasonable for the US$.
Pineapple Thief were great in Bristol, so a good choice

I agree just seen Mr. Hackett, what a great gig :rocks

Wow, Snood out on the town! I expect a full report on this :hi :QQlove:dance

Ooooooooooooppppppps forgot to reply - was great concert - bout Hour and 43 minutes - weird though on all the setlists.com it never shows him doing any encores..........and he did not do one this night either. Mainly all the faves plus a couple newer - He could go on for days if he played every fave :cool: Couple songs wish he would have played that he played on other stops, but he played songs he hadn't played on other stops tooooooo at this venue. Meadn best bud came away very pleased with the set.

Taxi LYFT driver story almost made us late - didn't want to take toll roads and went in circles getting lost (tried to charge us extra later toooooo) Nope!........we got to front gate of Universal Studios at 7:52 - 20 minute leisurely walk to Hard Rock other side of the Park - we had to hoooooooooooof it fast walk crowded as sheeeeeeeeeeet on Veterans Day - almost ran over a couple of kids and families :LOL: Concert starts at 8PM no openers.....

Made it 8:02 not on - had to hit the head (bathroom) got us some drinky winkys sat down 3 minutes later concert starts - urrrrrrrrrgh :rolleyes:

Another LYFT prob after but was in no hurry just had to wait like 15 mins extra for her to find the pickup.........got some food hookup out of it though - turns out she owns a lil soul food restaurant in town :giggle:

:SB:LB:SB

Back