Dream Theater - New Album in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to a Norway reviewer the mix has MLP 5.1 and a DD 5.1 mix for those without a DVD-Audio player. A picture he's posted of the disc seems to confirm it.

DVD-A DT.jpeg

According to a Norway reviewer the mix has MLP 5.1 and a DD 5.1 mix for those without a DVD-Audio player. A picture he's posted of the disc seems to confirm it.

QUOTE]

Well, I did something really unusual today and went into a record shop, HMV in Oxford Street, London, and bought the Deluxe version. I cannot remember the last time I did not buy a newly released disc online!

Anyway, the good news is that the DVD has DVD-Audio 24/96 5.1 as well as DD 5.1. The disc plays automatically in both versions on first spin - DD if not in a DVD-A player. The strangest thing is that it has absolutely no menu and feels more like an SACD in that respect.

I have not yet been able to listen to the album in full but first impression is that it seems like classic Dream Theater. I shall post a comment once I have listened to it a couple of times.

So, DVD-Audio is definitely not dead.

Many thanks to Roadrunner Records and Dream Theater.

i do have it on preorder. not familiar with band so that's gonna be first introduction.
but i discovered Porcupine Tree and Katatonia only because of DVD-As as well and it
turned out very well. i just hope they will continue in this direction.

I was surprised when the disc went straight into the MLP 5.1 mix without any menu or picture but it seems to be a discrete surround mix and I could at least listen to the music without being put off by the kind of compression levels that normally make this kind of music difficult to listen to. All in all quite a pleasant surprise.

I was surprised when the disc went straight into the MLP 5.1 mix without any menu or picture but it seems to be a discrete surround mix and I could at least listen to the music without being put off by the kind of compression levels that normally make this kind of music difficult to listen to. All in all quite a pleasant surprise.

Hi mattB2, is the hi-res stereo mix uncompressed as well?

Hi mattB2, is the hi-res stereo mix uncompressed as well?

I'll have to check later but I don't think there is a stereo mix on the DVD-A disc - certainly not one available through a menu.

Correction: There is an MLP (96/24) stereo mix selectable via the "Audio" button!

UPS just deliverd this to my door and it is now playing... "Looking Glass", incidentally I had not heard anything from this until about 30 minutes ago while listening to
" Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio " where they played " Looking Glass " now onto the " Enigma Machine " liking it so far, nice to have something from the heavier
camp and in REAL DVD-Audio too. Now if they would only go back and redo the whole catalog! Especially " Systematic Chaos " like the album but the 5.1 could have
been so much better....now playing " The bigger Picture "...........

1st impression is pretty good so far, my 1st pass (still in progress) is mainly getting to know the music. But there is a fair amount of descretness going on with a few nice speaker swirls.
Drums sound especially nice, up front, full with nice impact the way I like em'.

That sounds so exciting! I wonder what made them go 5.1 all of a sudden - I mean, good 5.1 in good quality. I wonder if that's a precursor to back catalog releases? I'd pop a blood vessel if Scenes from a Memory came in 5.1

i got confirmation from amazon that this one had been shipped.
so in couple of days should be here.
sadly all my gear still packed and can't hear it properly :(

Yeah, I asked them on their Live Webcast yesterday if they have thought in remixing their catalogue in 5.1 but there where so many questions and mine did not come up :(

Scenes form a MEmory would be nice, well,, all their albums would sound great in 5.1, but I think "Falling Into Infinity" would benit the most... Lines in the Sand, Hells Kitchen and Trial of Tears... mindblowing.

Scenes form a MEmory would be nice, well,, all their albums would sound great in 5.1, but I think "Falling Into Infinity" would benit the most... Lines in the Sand, Hells Kitchen and Trial of Tears... mindblowing.

I agree. Falling into Infinity is their most underrated album. It would be great in 5.1.

For those who like DT and wish they had Hi REz files, HD trackas just released some albums in Hi rez and thier DR Ratings are way better than the CDS

Year Avg. Low High
Dream Theater Systematic Chaos [HDTracks] (i) 2013 10 9 11 88.2/24
Dream Theater Black Clouds & Silver Linings [HDTracks] (i) 2013 10 9 10 96/24
Dream Theater Dream Theater [HDTracks] (i) 2013 12 11 13 96/24

Dream Theater Systematic Chaos (CD FLAC) 2007 6 5 6 44.1/16
Dream Theater Black Clouds & Silver Linings (CD Flac) 2009 6 6 6 44.1/16
Dream Theater Dream Theater (CD Flac) 2013 6 5 8 44.1/16

That's cool. Conversely, in the FB thread about DTS via HD Tracks revealed a lot of cluelessness about quality, formats, what fits on which kinds of disc, applying mp3 conversion (!) to make it fit, no mention of 5.1 or down mixing the 5.1 to stereo instead of using the stereo track also provided. It was breathtaking.

That's cool. Conversely, in the FB thread about DTS via HD Tracks revealed a lot of cluelessness about quality, formats, what fits on which kinds of disc, applying mp3 conversion (!) to make it fit, no mention of 5.1 or down mixing the 5.1 to stereo instead of using the stereo track also provided. It was breathtaking.

it sometimes feels insurmountable.. do people get what they want or what they deserve!? :mad:@:

the numbers of people I talk to who really haven't a clue but still express opinions on Hi-Rez (and occasionally surround music) who have never even heard any of it yet they pass judgement or chip in with their 2 cents. "have you heard surround music?" I ask if/when they say its a gimmick or just not for them.. "No.. But.." just doesn't cut it for me.. I see red! Grr..!! :mad:

add to that the confusion caused by all the formats (did it ever have a chance right from the disastrous DVDA Vs SACD format wars back in the day?) and the bewildering lack of consistency or any established Hi-Rez/surround standard format for rock & pop to this day and it's no wonder this is the kind of BS that people talk!

I also blame both the record labels and the hardware manufacturers - they have been mostly less than useless! there's never any correlation between the different divisions of the same company/corporation..

..all those years ago, Sony had it all with SACD = they made the players, they made the discs, they owned the music, yet they still screwed it all up!

Back