SQ/QS encoding in AA1.5...just for fun ;)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucanu

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Cabras, Sardinia, Italy, Europe, World, Solar syst
Ok, I'm about to give you something you really don't need, but it's a lot of fun IMHO.
I've made two session files for AA1.5 that are capable to encode 4/5.1 discrete material into these good old matrix formats.
You could ask me "Why have you made this??"
I made this just for fun, and just because I think that you are a bit crazy just like me.

I tested it with 6 mono wavs taken from an ac3 sample I have and know it very well.

First, you MUST have 4 or 6 wave files (extract them the way you think it's better).
Then open AA1.5 in multitrack. Open one of the session files I'll attach in this thread.
Insert your FL, FR, RL, RR, CC, LFE just in the corrisponding tracks.
Don't touch anythin in FX because there is the encoding process.
If you have your pc connected to a TATE or a SANSUI just press play and you'll hear your discrete multichannel sample in SQ or QS.

If you wish to export that file, just go to EDIT, MIXDOWN TO FILE, ALL AUDIO CLIPS, and you'll get a stereo matrixed file.

:banana:

Last edited:
Heya, I'm surprised no one ever commented on that. Way cool! I don't have a use for it right now. What I need is a Mac compatable live SQ/QS encoder

I never saw this thread before, I find that the forum search function doesn't always bring up all the threads it should.

I've experimented with using Audition for SQ and QS encoding with great results but my process is rather tedious. I thought that I could write a script as Lucanu pioneered for decoding but that works for the edit view only.

Session files in multitrack, I will have to think about that. It would be nice if Lucanu could re-post the session files, I see no link to them here.

Now-days with multitrack digital audio there is not a lot of need to encode anything anymore, however if required software encoding would produce an encoded result more accurate than any hardware encoder could, due to more accurate phase shifting.

There are far easier ways of SQ/QS/EV-4/DY encoding, and in real-time, but as you say, the encoders are of very little use except to create accurate test tones.

But Audition really isn't the way to go

There are far easier ways of SQ/QS/EV-4/DY encoding, and in real-time, but as you say, the encoders are of very little use except to create accurate test tones.

But Audition really isn't the way to go

If only I found a center channel extractor for Logic(Mac), I'm sure I could come up with a way to decode SQ in real time form my 96/24 files.
(it' not as if the hardware can't take it)

I wish you did Mac OS!...
(as it is, I am thankful you do Windoze!)

Cheers!

Back