12 new SACDs from Dutton Vocalion in January 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're all here! :love:
Yeay! :LB
Next day delivery.. wow! o_O

View attachment 37432

View attachment 37433

Awesome!!!!!

I just ordered 6 titles,

Paul Mauriat - El Bimbo & Toccata [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
Ray Conniff - The Happy Sound & Love Story [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
Ronnie Milsap - Pure Love & A Legend in My Time [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

and,

Chase - Pure Music & Chase [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
George Benson - Body Talk [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
Lynn Anderson - Rose Garden & Lynn Anderson's Greatest Hits [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

Please, can you tell me the duration play time for each of the 10 albums that you received? Do not have to be now, whenever you get the time to listen.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Last edited:
Awesome!!!!!

I just ordered 6 titles,

Paul Mauriat - El Bimbo & Toccata [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
Ray Conniff - The Happy Sound & Love Story [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
Ronnie Milsap - Pure Love & A Legend in My Time [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

and,

Chase - Pure Music & Chase [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
George Benson - Body Talk [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
Lynn Anderson - Rose Garden & Lynn Anderson's Greatest Hits [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

Please, can you tell me the duration play time for each of the 10 albums that you received? Do not have to be now, whenever you get the time to listen.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

bravo! i think you will enjoy those selections :)

i haven't loaded them all up yet, just roughly scanning thru the run times printed on the back of each one;

Charlie Rich 63 mins approx.,
Henry Mancini 57 mins approx.,
Stolen Goods 66 mins approx.,
Percy Faith 72 mins approx.,
Paul Mauriat 71 mins approx.,
Ronnie Milsap 59 mins approx.,
Tomita 53 mins approx.,
Dottie West 61 mins approx.,
Ray Conniff 64 mins approx.,
Fiedler 75 mins approx.

quite a lot of new surround music to digest! :51QQ:p

Last edited:
I had fallen behind on my DV orders, so I just placed an order for the following:

Tomita - Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé
Deodato - Prelude & Deodato 2
Chase - Pure Music & Chase
George Benson - Body Talk
Weather Report - Tale Spinnin'
Swingle Singers - The Four Seasons
Billy Paul - 360 Degrees of Billy Paul & War of the Gods

Looking forward to hearing them all!

bravo! i think you will enjoy those selections :)

i haven't loaded them all up yet, just roughly scanning thru the run times printed on the back of each one;

Charlie Rich 63 mins approx.,
Henry Mancini 57 mins approx.,
Stolen Goods 66 mins approx.,
Percy Faith 72 mins approx.,
Paul Mauriat 71 mins approx.,
Ronnie Milsap 59 mins approx.,
Tomita 53 mins approx.,
Dottie West 61 mins approx.,
Ray Conniff 64 mins approx.,
Fiedler 75 mins approx.

quite a lot of new surround music to digest! :51QQ:p

Thank you

the new Mancini 2-fer has a comprehensive new liner essay by Oliver Lomax.

the new Conniff 2-fer has the original Quad LP liner notes, including info on how the whole Happy Sound Of album was done in Quad from the ground up! :eek:

A few months ago I had the opportunity to spend a few hours going through Ray's office files, including his original scores. I took a couple of pictures of the cover sheets showing how he wanted them to be mixed for quad. Notice the "no channel available" (he was still recording on 16 tracks). I doubt he arranged Love Story, The Godfather, and Alone Again Naturally with quad in mind. It's more likely that CBS engineers mixed them to rush product to market in 1972. My guess is he was first involved in quad mixing for Harmony. He sketched quad mixes for several of his non-album singles but to my knowledge only stereo mixes were released. I was hoping to find evidence that his 1976 album After The Lovin' had been mixed for quad. Unfortunately, there wasn't time to find the scores as his files were immense.
ray-quad-sketch.jpg

our man fizzy will be pleased, the Tomita liner notes are in Engrish! i mean English! taken from the Bolero U.S. 1980 release notes :giggle:

View attachment 37435

going yum yum's!! :phones

Very much worthy even if the liner notes were only Japanese , Fredderico (from Tampico )

That disc looks great , btw. (I got import envy )
Crank up "Bolero " it's a must ! -test of your system! :)

There isn't much for me here, but the Fiedler album has some interest - Up Up and Away is going to be mostly cheese, but the excerpts from "Fiedler's Choice" are much more interesting (the name is a baseball pun for those not in the know). It's the whole album except for Shostakovich's Incidental Music from Hamlet, which is the last 20 minutes of the LP. The Shostakovich is available on this OOP CD (and on streaming):

51gXQlLch%2BL.jpg

The Glazunov Carnaval Overture is also on that disc. The Porgy and Bess Suite has only been released on CD once as I can tell, and is also out of print:

41HJ1JWNGCL.jpg

The Boston Pops March has never been issued on CD as far as I can tell. This seems like a must-buy for me, even if I don't care as much about the pop stuff that's the first half.

And the Schedrin version of Carmen was issued as a quad LP by RCA...seems a prime target for DV.
I took out a calculator and figured out that the two albums Fiedler did of pure classical for RCA, the above Carmen and the Dvorak New World Symphony, if done as a twofer, would be a long CD/SACD at 81:28. BIS has produced discs that long, but others might not be comfortable with it. If not, the Hamlet incidental music not included in this SACD release would be a good throw-in for a twofer.

As always, when D-V does another classical slate, I'll pick up a bunch from there along with the Fiedler and probably Tomita.

On "Fiedler's Choice," I'm guessing it's a Michael Dutton quad mix from the original tapes, not an unreleased quad mix, but can you confirm from the notes?

sorry i've not got round to playing this one yet to comment on the mixes (so much new music to take in!) no mention in the liners but the rear inlay says "Tracks 12-14 originally released in stereo and remixed in surround sound for this reissue"

9BB4458D-FC3A-4E52-A675-BADC2873956D.jpeg

3EF39BA9-007F-48C6-8D55-35D855D4B877.jpeg

I took out a calculator and figured out that the two albums Fiedler did of pure classical for RCA, the above Carmen and the Dvorak New World Symphony, if done as a twofer, would be a long CD/SACD at 81:28. BIS has produced discs that long, but others might not be comfortable with it. If not, the Hamlet incidental music not included in this SACD release would be a good throw-in for a twofer.

As always, when D-V does another classical slate, I'll pick up a bunch from there along with the Fiedler and probably Tomita.

did you get the Boulez Conducts Bartok "Concerto For Orchestra" already?
i meant to add it to this latest batch but i got so carried away ordering i forgot! d'oh! o_O

did you get the Boulez Conducts Bartok "Concerto For Orchestra" already?
i meant to add it to this latest batch but i got so carried away ordering i forgot! d'oh! o_O
I did! It's great - what the Sony release should have been all along. I don't have a real audiophile setup so I'm wary of making detailed notes on audio quality, but the D-V release sounds a little more brash and the Sony more refined - but the quad mix is great and the Sony 3-channel mix is a disaster that buries or deletes the stuff that was in the rear channels of the quad mix. And the differences don't seem that great anyway in terms of stereo sound.

And that makes sense - new quad mixes. Looking forward to hearing them.

So when do you plan on sleeping? :)

Looking forward to the mini Tomita review.

Big shame about the lack of SteelyDave liner notes :( hope things are ok with him

how do i sleep at night..! :sleep:
like a baby, a baby Tormato review! ;)
one review (maybe two) coming up, like a flower, later today! (y)

tis' a shame about the lack of our man Dave in this wee batch.. i'm sure he'll be back from his Christmas holidays, poised, pen in hand, hunched over a hot typewriter, with his temporary secretary on permanent standby, ready to write some rockin' soul release reviews, quicker than you can say QuadraphonicQuad! :rocks

A few months ago I had the opportunity to spend a few hours going through Ray's office files, including his original scores. I took a couple of pictures of the cover sheets showing how he wanted them to be mixed for quad. Notice the "no channel available" (he was still recording on 16 tracks). I doubt he arranged Love Story, The Godfather, and Alone Again Naturally with quad in mind. It's more likely that CBS engineers mixed them to rush product to market in 1972. My guess is he was first involved in quad mixing for Harmony. He sketched quad mixes for several of his non-album singles but to my knowledge only stereo mixes were released. I was hoping to find evidence that his 1976 album After The Lovin' had been mixed for quad. Unfortunately, there wasn't time to find the scores as his files were immense.
View attachment 37447

thank you so much for sharing this wonderful info and sketch!

so many times we have seen Quad dismissed as an afterthought, so to see evidence like this, of someone the calibre of Ray Conniff, who has been proven to have been involved and invested in the creative side and artistic aspect of mixing his music in Quad, its heartwarming.. to me
anyway, since i came to Quad having done the 5.1 thing first and now i love the old Quads as much as any newer 5.1 mixes, maybe more so, the engineers of the day were unafraid to
be bold and inventive and to try something new. i genuinely feel Quad mixing is an art unto itself which has been unfairly maligned and dismissed as a gimmick and a fad thru the years. hopefully with these pristine new reissues from Dutton Vocalion of so many Quads lost to time, not just these albums and artists but the very essence of Quadraphonic music itself may get a new reappraisal of its own and get the long overdue acknowledgement it deserves.

On "Fiedler's Choice," I'm guessing it's a Michael Dutton quad mix from the original tapes, not an unreleased quad mix, but can you confirm from the notes?

quick update (as i plough thru all the discs.. phew!) i'm now onto the Fiedler's Choice tracks and they sound absolutely fantastic. they are more your usual Classical ambient style surround mix (4-channel from what i can make out rather than 5.1, which to me is a nice touch) rather than the highly active Quad style we get spoilt with on some of these DV releases, still they're a very lovely bonus, it's all good clean, nay pristine, fun! (y)

Adam - I'm super curious what you think (once you listen) to the "country" titles. Charlie Rich, Dottie West, Rusty Treesap......and so on. :)

will certainly post back with feedback, still going through everything, i thought what the hell why not just play each disc in the order its popping up in the pile i put it in yesterday! its like a lovely lucky dip!

Back