185 TB on a Cassette!?! 700 Times Blu-Ray Capacity. Sony has done it

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although this technology is meant for data storage, it could easily be adapted for music, just as CD's were designed for music and later used for data. Yet, I'd bet against a resurgence of music on any tape format.

In addition to my hi-fi career, for 25 years, I sold computer equipment and supplies to Fortune 500. Made many mortgage payments thanks to thousands of 3480 cartridges. Physical space of software and storage are often hugely important in a large data center.

For you tekkies, here's a look at how Sony's "magnetic particle" technology works. It is very similar to a standard tape with much smaller particles and a protective layer on top:
185-TB-Cassette-Tape-Will-Blow-Your-Mind-440553-3.jpg

Each manufacturer's conventional magnetic tape product was all the same in the past. Each product was slit off large rolls depending on the format. Except for Fuji and Scotch (3M), ALL HG video tape was exactly the same, just a higher level of QC for higher grades. Tapes that were rejected as HG during QC were sold as standard grade, as well as those that weren't tested at all. Fuji and Scotch actually had a different physical tape for their high grades.

Cross section of conventional tape with back coating (optional). Metal particle tape uses identical technology, EXCEPT that the metal particles are held directly and use no binder.:
figure_2.gif

Aforementioned 3480 data cartridge, which is a reel of tape. Drive extracts the tape from the cartridge, and it retracts when finished reading or writing:
cartradges.jpeg

Yesterday, I actually played a cassette. First time in a long time. It was a homebrew project from the '70's of Beatle and solo Beatle covers. Among the artists were Phoebe Snow, Jeff Beck, Al Jarreau, Herb Alpert, Badfinger, and Alvin Lee & Mylon LeFevre with Hari Georgeson guesting on guitar. This track ranks in my 100 best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS_yvB7BN0s
So_sad_no_love_of_his_own.jpg

IMHO, Dark Hoarse is nearly unlistenable because of the Laringytis.

The Alvin Lee version actually predates the Dark Hoarse version, even though Harrison wrote it. Wikipedia: "So Sad" - Harrison had originally given the latter song to near-neighbour Alvin Lee to record.

yes it's a good song ...George put a nice version on his Dark Horse Album about the same time...using the same guitar ...or is that Dark Hoarse album??? well his Laryngitis wasn't too bad on his version

Although this technology is meant for data storage, it could easily be adapted for music, just as CD's were designed for music and later used for data. Yet, I'd bet against a resurgence of music on any tape format.

But it would sure work great as backup media for those of us with multiple terabytes of audio and video on hard drives!

Made many mortgage payments thanks to thousands of 3480 cartridges.

Got one sitting here right now...

IMHO, Dark Hoarse is nearly unlistenable because of the Laringytis.

The Alvin Lee version actually predates the Dark Hoarse version, even though Harrison wrote it. Wikipedia: "So Sad" - Harrison had originally given the latter song to near-neighbour Alvin Lee to record.

and Far East Man was first recorded by Ron Wood with Harrison on guitar (and possibly vocal)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsdYGdg-ayw

.on Dark Horse it sounds like this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffADzGM3ApI

Last edited:
Back