4 more Quadio titles coming in May 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I can share my attempts at figuring this out since the 2nd clue has disproven my "conclusions"

Using the quad label page, I made a list of catalog numbers. But I'm probably missing things not originally under the WEA umbrella that would need to be added, I don't have the extensive spreadsheets some have.

So then I found how to use excel to determine how to make a specific sum using a group of numbers, although I don't know that it finds every combination.

But, my first result was a match with these 4:

1004 - Eagles - On the Border
5058 - Stardrive - Intergalactic Trot
9005 - Eric Salzman - Wiretap
2866 - James Taylor - Gorilla

Which add up to 17933.

Which never in a million years would I have expected the Wiretap album to make the list - but it was recently referenced when I questioned Finnadar. Coincidence?

But then the next hint came out

one male artist
one female artist
one group
one duo

Well, I have no duo, and I have no female artist. Depending on what you consider Stardrive, I either have 3 male artists and a group, or 2 male artists and 2 groups.

The obvious go to for Duo would be Seals and Crofts. Female artist has a lot of possibilities.

So then I suppose the next task would be to get 4 groups of numbers, and come up with a method of making the sum from 1 number from each group - but at that point I decided it was time to close the spreadsheets, and play some more GTA online.

Still not sure what to make of the Eric Salzman thing though - 17933 requires at least one large number in there somewhere, and 9005 helps get things there. But - that's still a rather unlikely one to surface. Would be pretty wild though.

there may be other potential issues at play as well, including rights?

albums which are Warner controlled in the U.S., like Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid' & Average White Band's 'AWB' come under the auspices of Universal and Demon respectively in the UK, which i imagine may complicate matters somewhat when it comes to selling certain Quadio titles over here?
The UK no longer counts as EU (not going to discuss that further as that's politics). Directly selling in the EU gets you a market of 500 million, directly selling in the UK gets you about 60 million. EU market is way more important.

Also Rhino does already have a UK partner store. BUT they don't take all releases, some I understand as Rhino doesn't have the UK rights (eg Paranoid), but others the UK partner just declines to take it and that's really annoying.

Yes.
Well, we don't have the master in any of the Warner vaults in any territory.

I should dig deeper into this. I wish there was a quad of Cross-Collateral!
This one might be with the producer, or artist’s or manager’s estate, or even the studio where is was recorded / mixed.

But I’m surprised that Warner Japan came up empty if that is the case.

There must be a few more more bread crumbs to be followed I’d agree.

Last edited:
Yes.
Well, we don't have the master in any of the Warner vaults in any territory.

You might consider talking to your friends at Sonopress, they did all the OG CD-4 pressings for West Germany back in the day.

Similarly, this album was released in Japan by Warner-Pioneer (I wrote about their history a bit here) so I guess the possibility exists that there's a tape either in the Pioneer vaults after Warner bought them out in 1990, the Warner Music Japan vault (though it sounds like you've checked this already) or even possibly in the vault of whoever did the CD-4 cutting in Japan, which was most likely JVC/RCA.

If the Passport was a German (WEST) only release would there be a quad master copy at a German facility?
This one might be with the producer, or artist’s or manager’s estate, or even the studio where is was recorded / mixed.

There must be a few more more bread crumbs to be followed I’d agree.
German producer / engineer Dieter Dierks worked on the Hand Made album, might have performed the quad mix. He has owned studios and been involved in surround mixing for many years. He is 81 now, but likely knows where tapes are.
https://www.dierks-studios.de/

from wiki:

Dierks Studios – along with the studios of Conny Plank in Wolperath – became the home of the most important Krautrock artists, first generation German rock bands, and electronic pioneers, among them Ihre Kinder, Ash Ra Tempel, Tangerine Dream, Witthüser & Westrupp, Hoelderlin, Wallenstein, Birth Control, Guru Guru, Embryo, Popol Vuh, Bröselmaschine, the politically-oriented rock bands Amon Düül and Floh de Colgne as well as Krautrock super group Cosmic Jokers founded by music visionary Rolf-Ulrich Kaiser. They were all flocking to Stommeln in order to have their interpretations of rock music recorded and produced – and to be fed by Dieter Dierks' mother, affectionately called "Mother Dierks". One of the regular clients was Klaus Doldinger with his jazz-rock formation Passport. Their albums Looking Thru (1973), Handmade (1973), Cross-Collateral (1975), and Infinity Machine (1976) were recorded in Stommeln. Their live album Jubilee 1974, a recording of the live show at Rheinhalle, Düsseldorf, was mixed at Dierks Studios.

Last edited:
Strange, what EU country are you in then? I am in the Netherlands and this particular title ships to me for €4,31, the merchant apparently is German. No import taxes.
Ah I have to register to see the Germany shipping cost(for some reason the listed shipping was to the USA? even weirder this seller is German and based in Germany but doesn't offer it on Amazon Germany but only on Amazon Spain???) but still almost 40 euros when other QQ'rs are buying bundles at 20 bucks a pop
As the cheapest German seller I could find was 57 euros I broke down and bought the Mingus Quadio off Ebay from a USA seller for 35 euros all in with VAT and shipping.
They were only charging 5 euros for international shipping so we'll see how that goes:SB

Last edited:
Ah I have to register to see the Germany shipping cost(for some reason the listed shipping was to the USA?) but still almost 40 euros when other QQ'rs are buying bundles at 20 bucks a pop
I broke down and bought the Mingus Quadio off Ebay from a USA seller for 35 euros all in with VAT and shipping.
They were only charging 5 euros for international shipping so we'll see how that goes:SB
Well obviously importing them from the USA will cost money. E.g. the MOFI SACD's sell for $30 in the USA and can be had at jpc.de for €42 or something like that. Other retailers often sell them for more.
Don't forget though, that prices in USA shops are always without sales tax, which means that the price as advertised often is not what people actually pay.

But I agree that it would be grand if Rhino set up a EU shop so that we could also get a bundle-discount in the EU. I've ordered the Black Sabbath one from amazon.nl (I had a €5 voucher).
I would be curious to know what the total would be if I ordered a bundle of four quadio's in the USA. $80 for the discs, $23 for shipping. $103 equals to €96.
And then customs in the NL will want 21% VAT and will charge service fees. So grand total would be something like €125 which is € 31,25 per disc... Not too bad...

I guess I can share my attempts at figuring this out since the 2nd clue has disproven my "conclusions"

Using the quad label page, I made a list of catalog numbers. But I'm probably missing things not originally under the WEA umbrella that would need to be added, I don't have the extensive spreadsheets some have.

So then I found how to use excel to determine how to make a specific sum using a group of numbers, although I don't know that it finds every combination.

But, my first result was a match with these 4:

1004 - Eagles - On the Border
5058 - Stardrive - Intergalactic Trot
9005 - Eric Salzman - Wiretap
2866 - James Taylor - Gorilla

Which add up to 17933.

Which never in a million years would I have expected the Wiretap album to make the list - but it was recently referenced when I questioned Finnadar. Coincidence?

But then the next hint came out

one male artist
one female artist
one group
one duo

Well, I have no duo, and I have no female artist. Depending on what you consider Stardrive, I either have 3 male artists and a group, or 2 male artists and 2 groups.

The obvious go to for Duo would be Seals and Crofts. Female artist has a lot of possibilities.

So then I suppose the next task would be to get 4 groups of numbers, and come up with a method of making the sum from 1 number from each group - but at that point I decided it was time to close the spreadsheets, and play some more GTA online.

Still not sure what to make of the Eric Salzman thing though - 17933 requires at least one large number in there somewhere, and 9005 helps get things there. But - that's still a rather unlikely one to surface. Would be pretty wild though.
I think you can remove that Eagles selection. Didn't FR tell us that there are issues with group members of the Eagles in trying to secure this?

Since most, no, all the clues are over my paygrade, I'll just say two things.......

I hope the group name includes Brothers
And I will continue supporting Rhinos Quadio program buy purchasing the entire bundle

I love the Einstein/Numerology math, but who are Stardrive and Eric Salzman?

1709298099341.png

https://www.discogs.com/release/592724-Eric-Salzman-Wiretap
https://ericsalzman.com/

1709298617443.png

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1060393-Stardrive
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...rt-mason-intergalactic-trot-cd-4-q8-qr.23418/

"Cross-Collateral" being a 1974 recording, produced, engineered and mixed at Dieter Dierks studios, I would not be at all surprised if a quad mix was done there at the time and never issued, never turned in to Atlantic. Tapes could be waiting there only to be awakened like a sleeping beauty. In the event someone was able to be reached at the tape library for the studio or artist in regards to "Hand Made" it would be worth mentioning interest in the 1975 released title "Cross-Collateral" (quad mixed) as well. Never hurts to dream right.

Last edited:
Back