70'S QUAD FM SYNDICATIONS AND SIMULCASTS-OTHER THAN BBC, KBFH

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
April 03,1976 page 01;
The All Campus Radio Network (ACRN) will be airing shows from syndications such as : KBFH , BBC Rock Hour , RATW , and soon Live At The Agora . (Of which most of these shows are now available in SQ quad, but not all )

April 17,1976 page 01;
Radio Picadilly Manchester , UK is doing QS broadcasts between April 02 and 3rd .

May 08,1976 page 07;
The show "Live At The Agora" has been aired by Agora affiliate station WMMS FM Cleveland over the past 3 years.
(SQ)

May 15,1976 page 03;
WQIV FM NY which switched to WNCN Classical (SQ) , resumed airing the Classical music format in August 1975.

June 19,1976 page 06;
There are now 75 FM stations broadcasting in QS , and 60 in SQ.

.....page 19;
Both QS and SQ are discussed by a number of FM Quadcasters.

July 17,1976 page 18;
The group WIDOWMAKER on United Artists , is airing ten commercials in QS .

August 28,1976 page 38;
Jazz at the Agora is featured by the Sansui sponsored show " A New World Of Jazz" (QS).

.....page 56;
Radio Clyde Scotland is broadcasting in QS a program of The Scottish National Orchestra promoting it's 1976 Concerts.

October 16,1976 page 31;
The Agora which is now 10 years old , features FM broadcasts Rock on Mondays and Jazz on Tuesdays . (Rock SQ ,Jazz QS)

October 30,1976 page 06;
The Bottom Line NY has been recording acts for the past 3 years for FM Broadcasting over WNYU FM.
(no mention of quad but it's worth noting they were broadcasting their acts some of which were picked up by The Agora which was broadcasting in matrix quad , both SQ and QS )

November 13,1976 page 30;
SQ matrix has been attacked on it's FM quadcasting performance by rivals QSI (Discrete) and QS Sansui.

December 18,11976 page 03;
CBS (SQ) discusses the poor performance for broadcasting of CD-4 transmissions .

December 25,1976 page 03;
Sansui charges that SQ FM Broadcasting exceeds the S/N ratio . And it also has improper emphasis on front oriented over rear channel transmission , unlike Sansui QS and BBC Matrix H .

:)

......and more

LIVE FROM THE BOTTOM LINE (QS)

LOU REED
PROCTOR AND BERGMAN
BRYAN FERRY
TOM WAITS
GATO BARBIERI
HARRY CHAPIN
MANHATTEN TRANSFER
MIKE BLOOMFIELD
DAVID BROMBERG
KENNY RANKIN
RACHEL FARO
THE PERSAUSIONS
NITTY GRITTY DIRT BAND

Producer Don Kettler (also broadcast in dummy head binaural in 75)

STUDIO 4 with Skitch Henderson (EV-4)
broadcasts out of NY? in 73, MOR programming

LIVE FROM THE AGORA CLUB, CLEVELAND (QS)

BILLY COBHAM
THE BRECKER BROTHERS
DAVE LIEBMAN
DAVE BRUBECK
JEAN LUC-PONTY
WEATHER REPORT
NEW YORK MARY
BOBBY HUTCHERSON
IGUANA
LARRY CORYELL
STANLEY TURRENTINE
GEORGE BENSON
MIKE URBANIAK
FREDDIE HUBBARD
GARY BURTON
GARY WRIGHT
THE OUTLAWS
ELVIN BISHOP GROUP
MONTROSS
MELISSA MANCHESTER
URSULA DUDZIAK
BEN SIDRAN
TOM WAITS (JAN 77)

ALL CONCERTS REPORTED IN "THE FOUR CHANNEL SCENE", SANSUI'S PROMO NEWSLETTER.SANSUI WAS ALSO THE MAIN SPONSOR FOR THE LIVE AGORA QS BROADASTS AND SYNDICATION.

THE BOSTON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA-BOSTON POPS WCRB (QS),
also available in (SQ)
produced by BOSTON SYMPHONY TRUST-RICHARD KAYE
With this mention of "Rock around the world" being in SQ, is there any print documentation of this, or are their "SQ" labels on the records?

1615331587474-1654831846.jpg

Sorry , this is the only mention I have of Rock Around The World being in quad presumably SQ. I have many articles/newsletters from Sansui's Four Channel Scene(QS) and none mention this show.
Don't have any recordings, and I don't know when it started and ended.
There are a number of large print adverts in Billboard Magazine ( 75-78) , and none mention quad but this article is by Martin Clifford who should know. His magazine followed quad development from day one .

As to Live From The Bottom Line I think it all depended on the various (New York City) FM stations for encoding local clubs, as far as I can tell. The FCC put a stop to 24 hour matrix encoding of stereo programs. This compelled all to produce live quad discreet - matrix encoded shows.
The Agora carried some of The Bottom Line shows but they could be either matrix (QS SQ).

Ok, this is a help. I came across some RATW records recently, but couldn't see any mention of quad. I'll take a closer look when time permits. Is there any RATW discography online anywhere?

Sorry, I don't know of one for R.A.T.W.
And amend broadcast date from 75 ,76,77 and probably 78. Not totally certain of 78. Best to check Billboard or an FM broadcast info mag.

Sorry, I don't know of one for R.A.T.W.
And amend broadcast date from 75 ,76,77 and probably 78. Not totally certain of 78. Best to check Billboard or an FM broadcast info mag.
Thanks. I actually found a RATW website. 200+ shows, but probably only the first 80 would be the ones that might have encoded music scattered amongst them. Lots of interviews, especially as the show progressed. Another rabbit hole. Swell....

Thanks. I actually found a RATW website. 200+ shows, but probably only the first 80 would be the ones that might have encoded music scattered amongst them. Lots of interviews, especially as the show progressed. Another rabbit hole. Swell....

80 plus would be quite a large number , but who knows for sure. Would be helpful if the recordings you came across have introductions from the shows's DJ'S . Maybe they tell you if it's quad encoded.
Likely those with Alan Freeman as DJ from London, as I noticed he is on some of the1976 ones.
FWIW he always told you it was quad on his BBC shows during BBC Matrix (H/HJ) broadcasts.
Anyway ,, happy hunting.
And be sure to let us know what you find. And your conclusion.

I'm hoping someone comes across some discs of the "On Tour" Concerts.
They were encoded in QS by one half of CCR , Mr.Clifford and Mr.Cook.
Those Concerts have a number of great Rock performers .

80 plus would be quite a large number , but who knows for sure. Would be helpful if the recordings you came across have introductions from the shows's DJ'S . Maybe they tell you if it's quad encoded.
Likely those with Alan Freeman as DJ from London, as I noticed he is on some of the1976 ones.
FWIW he always told you it was quad on his BBC shows during BBC Matrix (H/HJ) broadcasts.
Anyway ,, happy hunting.
And be sure to let us know what you find. And your conclusion.

I'm hoping someone comes across some discs of the "On Tour" Concerts.
They were encoded in QS by one half of CCR , Mr.Clifford and Mr.Cook.
Those Concerts have a number of great Rock performers .

I'll take a closer look at those RATW discs when I get a chance and see if any of them are the earlier broadcasts. My hunch is that they are the later ones, but we'll see. My hunch is that the live shows may be "borrowed" from other places, and not produced by RATW. Cleveland/Agora seems to come up from time to time in their listings. What is the "On Tour" show you are mentioning? I'm not sure I'm aware of that one. Anyway, something to pass the time while waiting to hear back from potential employers...

Might be somewhat OT, however, FM Stereo radio audio processing wasn't very sophisticated during the Quad era.

I was wondering if (matrix encoded) recordings from that era are adversly affected by the radio station processing (the sometimes sudden gain changes), perhaps causing problems with the matrix decoder logic system?

Kirk Bayne

Might be somewhat OT, however, FM Stereo radio audio processing wasn't very sophisticated during the Quad era.

I was wondering if (matrix encoded) recordings from that era are adversly affected by the radio station processing (the sometimes sudden gain changes), perhaps causing problems with the matrix decoder logic system?

Kirk Bayne

Probably.
Don't forget the weather systems. (T-Storms) and whatnot.

Kirk Bayne
Kirk, in general , the less stages any encoded source goes through, the better. Any stage of playback and broadcast will degrade a source and its' ability to decode, often to the point where it WON'T. That's why the "pre-fm" sources tend to be a little more cooperative if you're trying to figure out what the original 4 channel mix would have sounded like. I've been told there is "phase limiting" processing in more modern radio transmissions that would further corrupt rebroadcast of encoded sources. Even with the shows that were broadcast from reels, a badly maintained reel to reel machine would have made it next to impossible for the broadcast to decode adequately, even though you wouldn't notice when listening to the broadcast in stereo.
In general , analog matrixed quad broadcasts seem like they must have rarely worked well, as there were a lot of things that were capable of messing things up. If the source was lucky enough to leave the radio station in decent shape, then you had to deal with the decoders that fell short. With digital tech. around now, we're actually in a little better of a position to hear what these old mixes were supposed to sound like, provided you can still find a source in good enough condition to work with.

@quadaholic

So what your saying is the more modern stations today have "phase limiting" which would be detrimental to quad matrix broadcasts.

I believe there is a member ( or two ?) who is broadcasting encoded (QS SQ ) at this time.
Should they be concerned about this ?

@quadaholic

So what your saying is the more modern stations today have "phase limiting" which would be detrimental to quad matrix broadcasts.

I believe there is a member ( or two ?) who is broadcasting encoded (QS SQ ) at this time.
Should they be concerned about this ?
Nope, as the folks you are talking about are way more savvy than me and know how to get things to work. Plus, I'm talking more about analog terrestrial radio.

Back