ABC - The Lexicon Of Love (Steven Wilson 5.1 & Dolby Atmos remixes coming in August 2023; SDE Blu-Ray #12)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received my copy a few minutes ago. I will have to find some time to give it my full attention. I am tempted for a quick listen but I'd rather wait till I know I won't have any interruptions. It has certainly been fascinating reading everyone's comments about it.

What's the point of the little album cover flat folder? Just for display on my fireplace mantle?
You mean the slip cover? :hi :censored:

I'm not following I guess. Maybe you're not talking about the slipcase... I can be thick headed at times. :LOL:
Don't play thick headed with me cuz I can play that card & I'll win every time.

Every slip case I've encountered already had, well you know, the case slipped inside. This one requred folding into 3D shape. Some construction required, batteries not included.

Last edited:
Just received my copy a few minutes ago. I will have to find some time to give it my full attention. I am tempted for a quick listen but I'd rather wait till I know I won't have any interruptions. It has certainly been fascinating reading everyone's comments about it.

What's the point of the little album cover flat folder
? Just for display on my fireplace mantle?
It is a slipcase

Every slip case I've encountered already had, well you know, the case slipped inside. This one requred folding into 3D shape. Some construction required.
It's just the way SDE does it. Some of the albums only had the slip cases printed after the albums were already released and you can get those for free with your order if you want. You just need to flex it into the open shape and slip the hard case in, if that's your preference.

Every slip case I've encountered already had, well you know, the case slipped inside. This one requred folding into 3D shape. Some construction required, batteries not included.

Hey Sonik, if you dont want that slipcase I know a certain Lions fan who received his shipment dripping wet and would love a slipcase . Yup - thanks Post Office So - the Bluey is fine as it is wrapped but the slipcase is ruined. Ive had nothing but issues the last 3 weeks with the local PO. 4 times in three weeks they did not even pick up our outgoing mail. Flag was up --they just chucked the incoming mail on top of the stuff they were supposed to pick up. Sheesh

And now..................... ABC Lexicon of H2O.

Last edited:
Hey Sonik, if you dont want that slipcase I know a certain Lions fan who received his shipment dripping wet and would love a slipcase . Yup - thanks Post Office So - the Bluey is fine as it is wrapped but the slipcase is ruined. Ive had nothing but issues the last 3 weeks with the local PO. 4 times in three weeks they did not even pick up our outgoing mail. Flag was up --they just chucked the incoming mail on top of the stuff they were supposed to pick up. Sheesh

Sheesh Boo Boo. Indeed.

Who’s more PO’d, them or you?

Basement: Sony BDP-S6700, Pioneer VSX-D514,
4 Polk T15, 1 Polk PSW108 speakers
Bedroom: Sony BDP-S1700, TaiHuai HDMI>RCA, Pioneer SX-2300,
2 Polk Monitor 4, 2 Polk/HP xt953 PC speakers

_NR_ - Dolby TrueHD 7.1 containing Atmos (no decoding capability)
__9_ - *hidden* 384kbps DD 5.1 downmixed from Dolby TrueHD 7.1 [Basement]
__8_ - DTS 5.1 core of DTS-HD 5.1 [Basement]
__7_ - LPCM Stereo Remix w/fake surround sound via Hafler/DynaQuad [Bedroom]
__6_ - LPCM 1982 Stereo Mix w/fake surround sound via Hafler/DynaQuad [Bedroom]

__8_ - 4 of the 6 mixes (didn't rate Atmos and Instrumental Stereo Remix)

I like the *hidden* DD 5.1 mix best (which may have been done by default presets, no human involvement),
the 1982 Stereo Mix sounds tinny and lifeless compared to the Stereo Remix (both have a lot of content
in the fake surround channel).

Kirk Bayne

I discovered ABC when I purchased How to Be a Zillionaire. I immediately liked it & when I stumbled across Lexicon of Love I snatched that up right away. It didn't grab me the way Zillionaire did... there was nothing as bouncy or radical as 16 Story Halo. I did think think LoL was good but I also thought I never really gave it a chance.

Because of this thread & in anticipation of my SDE order, I revisited & Boy Howdy am I glad I did. I listened to the stereo CD multiple times & each time I liked it more. When the SDE disc arrived I was as happy as everyone else that's commented on the result.

I have a 5.1 system and my Oppo 105 does all the decoding and then analog out into my Anthem pre-pro. The menu is set up very nicely & makes it easy to switch mixes and compare. The 5.1 mix is certainly more detailed & pin point than the ATMOS played back as 5.1. Also the 5.1 has more bass punch than the ATMOS mix. With my default sub woof setting the bass and all else seems in perfect balance. The F/B balance is perfect too, no need to pump up the rears or otherwise change settings. The original '82 stereo mix sounds a little duller & less detailed than my CD. I have no idea why. The new stereo mix is very nice but of course I would never choose that in preference to surround.

And I'm hooked on all the songs, I love 'em all. I had a dedicated time last night checking up on all the official ABC music videos. They were great. Hilarious!! Probably everyone has seen The Look of Love video but if not it is a must to enjoy.

Edit: I have seen mentioned a "hidden" DD 5.1 format. But it must be really hidden because I sure can't see how to access it. What's the deal with that?

Edit: I have seen mentioned a "hidden" DD 5.1 format. But it must be really hidden because I sure can't see how to access it. What's the deal with that?

It's a special downmix of Dolby TrueHD (in this case, 7.1) to DD 5.1 (required by the [UHD] Blu-ray audio standard), it doesn't appear as a menu selectable mix on the ABC Blu-ray.

I'm using an old Pioneer receiver with just DD and DTS decoders, I haven't researched this issue much, my Sony Blu-ray player is set to bitstream out and my Pioneer receiver is ignoring the Dolby TrueHD data and just decoding the included DD 5.1 downmix.

I don't know if the DD 5.1 downmix is an preset downmix or of it was separately mixed (I tend to think it is an preset downmix, much like the DD 5.1 to Dolby Surround downmix is)

Basically an old Dolby Digital only decoder is needed to get the DD 5.1 hidden mix (maybe a software Blu-ray audio decoder can extract the DD 5.1 also).

Post #418 in this thread explains some about the DD 5.1 mix on this ABC album.

Edit:
It looks like my Sony Blu-ray player is extracting the DD 5.1 from the Dolby TrueHD bitstream and sending that out the coaxial/RCA connector digital out, connecting this older style digital audio out to a newer receiver might play the DD 5.1 mix.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
I just finished listening to the Dolby Atmos mix and I was not impressed. The volume on instruments and sounds is all over the place. The track that actually sounds better than the original stereo mix is The Look Of Love. Many Happy Returns also sounded decent but not to the level of The Look Of Love. I was surprised by this mix too because I feel that Tears For Fears, The Hurting, is one, if not, the best mix SW has done in surround.

Last edited:
Anyone else listened to the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 -> DD 5.1 downmix (apparently only accessible by using the old coaxial digital audio out on many Blu-ray players)?

Kirk Bayne

I remade them all by listening to the ripped files. They are all slightly different and are fully repaired. It took quite some time to get them right! This disc wasn’t an easy one to rip. :)
How do you "fix" an MKV file with these bad track start/end cuts? This is one of the worst I've heard. The Future Bites was also pretty bad. to get the Atmos tracks I have been ripping the MKV from the disc and then using Music Media Helper to split to m4a files. I can't figure out how I would apply a custom cue sheet like yours to this.

I hope everyone is enjoying what sounds like a nifty release!

My copy is not, as yet, here. Now, thread archaeologists may remember that mine was released from customs in Chicago 12 days ago. I'm in a Chicago suburb, so 12 days does seem a bit egregious. However, when I now check the tracking, I see that six days later, it arrived in Auckland.

Y'know. New Zealand.

The next day, tracking shows it leaving the UK. Again.

I wish that it could at least send me pictures of where it stops. Like a traveling garden gnome, only instead, a Steve Wilson Dolby Atmos mix on Blu-ray.

I hope everyone is enjoying what sounds like a nifty release!

My copy is not, as yet, here. Now, thread archaeologists may remember that mine was released from customs in Chicago 12 days ago. I'm in a Chicago suburb, so 12 days does seem a bit egregious. However, when I now check the tracking, I see that six days later, it arrived in Auckland.

Y'know. New Zealand.

The next day, tracking shows it leaving the UK. Again.

I wish that it could at least send me pictures of where it stops. Like a traveling garden gnome, only instead, a Steve Wilson Dolby Atmos mix on Blu-ray.
Update: it arrived today. Better really late than never, I suppose.

Back