Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat" (Remixed in 5.1 surround by Alan Parsons!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered. Thanks for the post. Just saw Stewart last year for the first time. (April ‘19 in San Diego - Al Stewart Setlist at Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach). Had to buy his vinyl again at the show (signed copies available), mainly to support the modest tour and artist gems like this still making music.

His live musicianship was excellent. Very mellow British gentleman. He had a pair of young talents (one male, one female) that added a new energy to the show hopefully for a new generation. But Al himself was funny, unpretentious, and looked like he walked out of a Wallace and Gromit video (as Wallace). His talent was undeniable, yet he was not full of himself and had some good stories about making music in England in the 60s and 70s.

I love his live recording release from the early 80s, so looking forward to these newly released ones from ‘76. And a Parsons 5.1 Year of the Cat track is worth the shipping charge for me. Can’t wait.

OH wow - Snood spending too much time looking after Momma Snood and watching football lol - did not see this til tooooooday

Auto Order - saw him in concert hmmm was small jazz venue but think it was 1980 or 81 - me and best bud were heavy into him for a year or so and of course had all his stuff form 1975 to about 1984 Russians & Americans 🤪

Fantastic News!! Now I have to listen to the album again to make sure it is worth the investment on my end...I know it is recognized critically as a great album... I just need to make sure I'll listen to it numerous times if I'm going to pre-order.

Lately, I find I have less and less time that I can devote to listening to music, and the collection is getting large, gotta start being a bit more picky ;)
I don't have time either...which is they they are piling up. But, one day, I will have time......I think once I'm retired...I'll be glad I have all this music.

I don't have time either...which is they they are piling up. But, one day, I will have time......I think once I'm retired...I'll be glad I have all this music.
:LOL: that’s what I thought; but nope, of course you watch a lot less TV than I do, so maybe you’ve got a chance.
Giddy Up is the best attitude IMO! 🤠

Pre-ordered! :bananadance:

As much as I love YOTC (and I've worn out several vinyl copies since late 1976), if it were up to me to decide which release got this treatment, I would have instead chosen Time Passages. That's always been my favorite Al-bum, followed closely by Last Days of the Century.
I agree.. 'last days of the century' was very underrated. A great album!
I'm wondering, with shipping costs to usa, how much is this YOTC in US dollars?

You guys are killing me. I'm 58, I have a few years to go. Luckily, I have been rather aggressive with my 401k and things should work out. :)

SO BROTHER, CAN YOU SPARE A DIME?

See the source image

Last edited:
I'll be in for this one as well though I'll do a little price-watch first. I'm not a big Al Stewart guy but always did like this album a lot, just seemed like it all came together for him on this one. Hoping the set will perhaps get me to reevaluate some other albums from his catalogue.
I placed an order with Cherry Red, but will be looking for it to appear on Big Moose or Amazon. If the price is a significant enough savings, I may change it, but I doubt it. Nearly missed Vienna with that strategy. Burning Shed saved me.

Oh man this is killing me. I made some recent purchases that depleted what I can spend 'cause life; Dr bills, etc.
Not looking too good for this month, we'll see come January.
Never saw Al Stewart live, but love Year Of The Cat. I was working a summer in a Florida new hot "orange grove" subdivision near Cypress Gardens in Winter Haven doing stucco when the title song played about every 15 minutes on the work truck's radio. Stucco and I didn't last long but Al stuck with me.

Since there's no actual video content mentioned for the DVD, I guess we're hoping that it will be a lossless DVD-Audio? There would be enough room to also have some lossy AC3/DTS in the VIDEO_TS folder, for backwards compatibility with players that can only play DVD-Video.

So often DVD multichannel releases of albums are only lossy DVD-Video. I was surprised to read on Wikipedia that you can have data in both VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, and I wonder how often that's actually done.

Since there's no actual video content mentioned for the DVD, I guess we're hoping that it will be a lossless DVD-Audio? There would be enough room to also have some lossy AC3/DTS in the VIDEO_TS folder, for backwards compatibility with players that can only play DVD-Video.

So often DVD multichannel releases of albums are only lossy DVD-Video. I was surprised to read on Wikipedia that you can have data in both VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, and I wonder how often that's actually done.
I doubt very much that this release will be lossless. If they wanted to release a lossless version, it would have been a Blu-ray, not a DVD-A. They went extinct years ago.

I doubt very much that this release will be lossless. If they wanted to release a lossless version, it would have been a Blu-ray, not a DVD-A. They went extinct years ago.
I was also guessing it would be lossless, but they could theoretically do their best, and not have to spend a penny more to deliver both compatibility and sound quality on the same media.

Since there are still Blu-ray players being made that play DVD-Audio discs, it's not entirely unreasonable to just throw some files into AUDIO_TS.

Yes... I suppose it was all just a fantasy of mine. It's just so miserable that someone bothers to make a great mix, and then it can only be heard in DTS. Isn't technology supposed to perpetually advance, not go backwards?

Back