All 9 Steely Dan albums to be released on Hybrid Stereo SACD courtesy of Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only Katy Lied and The Royal Scam for me if we can get them at a reasonable price over here, (my guess is around £45 each by the time they hit the door mat + P&P). I have the other early ones on Japanese SACDs. But what I really want is them all in surround :)

as you can imagine, i'm not thrilled about the lack of inclusion of any of the Quads or 5.1 mixes at all.. but i'm still hopeful for some potential sonic improvement because i love these albums so much in any form! 🙂
Fingers crossed. Grundman's ears are not what they used to be, and many (most?) of those albums exist in some pretty great masterings already. But maybe not always in hi-res digital form.

Only Katy Lied and The Royal Scam for me if we can get them at a reasonable price over here, (my guess is around £45 each by the time they hit the door mat + P&P). I have the other early ones on Japanese SACDs. But what I really want is them all in surround :)
they're the two i'm most curious to hear what they've been able to do with the tapes, especially Katy Lied.

Fingers crossed. Grundman's ears are not what they used to be, and many (most?) of those albums exist in some pretty great masterings already. But maybe not always in hi-res digital form.
its ok, my ears aren't what they were either!

or my knees, hips, back.. and especially the ol' brainbox... 🤦‍♀️🥳😅🤣

(maybe they could provide an updated version of the VMS 70 description on the back cover of Katy Lied - something about the laser focusing system adjusting to pick up the SACD layer) ;)

My first Steely Dan album was Aja, purchased at the 1981 SCES, it was one in the first group of Mobile Fidelity prerecorded compact cassettes and a few weeks before the SCES, KRNA FM played the entire album one night.

Do stereo remasters provide about the same fake surround sound as the original stereo (in one case, an MQA-CD has more fake surround sound than the original CD)?

Kirk Bayne

CBAT: 20,000 copies
Aja: 25,000 copies
The rest, if I’m not mistaken, are 15,000 copies

Assuming they sell out (which is no guarantee) that’s 150,000 records at $150

$22,500,000

Hmm, if only there were already-existing 5.1 mixes of some of these albums just waiting to be reissued...
...and quad for the first three...

How can we lobby Chad Kassem/Analogue Productions to get at least some of these included? I imagine it's too late for Can't Buy A Thrill, since that has a release date already, but for the others? They've included both modern surround mixes (BS&T's Child Is Father To The Man, Dave Brubeck's Time Out, the Doors catalogue) and quad mixes (BS&T's Blood, Sweat & Tears) in the past, even if they weren't freshly transferred or remastered.

some of us do still listen to Stereo! 😉

(and this is the Stereo SACD area of QQ after all..) 🙂
Why this enthusiasm for stereo SACD's? Isn't this a MC forum?

If God had meant us to listen in stereo, he would not have created @chucky3042 and @Overture .

Fortunately, I have quad rips of Can't Buy A Thrill and Countdown To Ecstacy. As for my multichannel versions of the albums Penteo Logic and TAte2ja...well, perhaps forum rules prevent me from delving into that. ;)

I don't have the albums Katy Lied or The Royal Scam in any format, so perhaps those might be a future purchase for me.

Call me a snob, but I'm just not interested without the multichannel mixes. I understand ones that were never released in surround of some form, but the others? That was a seriously missed opportunity. I would have absolutely bought Countdown to Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic and Can't Buy a Thrill, even though I have the quad albums. They would have been amazing!

That being said, my favorite SD is Royal Scam and, even though I have it on CD and LP, I'll probably consider it.

If God had meant us to listen in stereo, he would not have created @chucky3042 and @Overture .

Fortunately, I have quad rips of Can't Buy A Thrill and Countdown To Ecstacy. As for my multichannel versions of the albums Penteo Logic and TAte2ja...well, perhaps forum rules prevent me from delving into that. ;)

I don't have the albums Katy Lied or The Royal Scam in any format, so perhaps those might be a future purchase for me.
Hopefully the Mastering on these will be good, combined with SACD makes KL & TRS must haves. The fact that you don’t own any and I’m encouraging you to get those two!

The intro guitar solo by Larry Carlton on Don’t Take Me Alive, is one of the most brilliant and iconic intros in all of Rock.

Back