ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1686538791204.jpeg

How have I never heard this?? What the hell!!! This is ridiculously amazing. It's stereo, but it sure sounds almost like sounds coming from everywhere. Boy, if Steven Wilson or SWT could get a hold of this...can you imagine? Atmos?? Whoa...

View attachment 92749
WHHHHAAAAAATTTTT???
SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!
This is one of Maestro Ponty's MUST HAVES!!!!!!

welllllll... I just "discovered" "No Absolute time" which is another masterpiece by the Maestro...

But really, PM me so I can put you up to date with the Maestro's best, which is basically ALL of his Atlantic/Columbia LPs

How have I never heard this?? What the hell!!! This is ridiculously amazing. It's stereo, but it sure sounds almost like sounds coming from everywhere. Boy, if Steven Wilson or SWT could get a hold of this...can you imagine? Atmos?? Whoa...

View attachment 92749
Thanks to this post and a little YouTube listening I ordered this 5 album set from Amazon... for under $20. How can you beat that?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PHRIKE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Previously I had heard of J-LP but never heard any of his music

View attachment 92749

It may come as a shock to the younger folks here to know that back in the 70s people like Ponty or Return to Forever could get their albums pretty high in the Billboard charts. Back when people actually sat down and listened to music. Those were the days…. 🥰

It may come as a shock to the younger folks here to know that back in the 70s people like Ponty or Return to Forever could get their albums pretty high in the Billboard charts. Back when people actually sat down and listened to music. Those were the days…. 🥰
I also think we would listen a wide variety of bands back then, not just stick to one or two genres as a lot do these days - we would sit and listen to everything from finger-in-the-ear folk to what became Heavy Metal with Jazz, Prog, plus bands like Can, Tangerine Dream etc. all thrown into the mix.

I also think we would listen a wide variety of bands back then, not just stick to one or two genres as a lot do these days - we would sit and listen to everything from finger-in-the-ear folk to what became Heavy Metal with Jazz, Prog, plus bands like Can, Tangerine Dream etc. all thrown into the mix.
those were the days...
My favorite routine when we got together and I'd take my TT, receiver and 2 speakers to the living room , they would come in with a few Heineken 6 packs in the fridge and throw a couple of baggies on the table...
Play side A (we ALL LISTENED, no talking allowed!) while drinking and smokin'...
go... "duuuude"...
Talk about it
Play Side B
rinse, repeat

I remember when I played Enigmatic Ocean to my bros, they FREAKED out...AAMOF, Jean-Luc Ponty played in San Juan PR in 1981 and I was there on 1st row!
It was basically a ROCK CONCERT with high calibre musicians...

You know, when MTV launched in August of 1981, who would have thought where the music industry was headed? It makes the mind blow...
Very interesting, here are the very first 10 videos they played on that important day.

View attachment 92800
Times have changed, back then that’s about all I watched on TV and maybe a few movies. They certainly didn’t change for the better as time went on IMO. So many MTV video memories like Jump VH and this one…

Times have changed, back then that’s about all I watched on TV and maybe a few movies. They certainly didn’t change for the better as time went on IMO. So many MTV video memories like Jump VH and this one…

I actually prefer a lot of the goofy innocence of some of the early low budget music videos to the later big budget clips.

MTV was great when they remembered that the first letter in that identifier stood for MUSIC. I would leave it on all day playing in the background just like a radio. They opened doors for a lot of new acts because they had to fill up broadcasting time 24/7. Looking back now, it's funny how even some of the bands/music I didn't really care for have ear-wormed their way into my heart 40 years later. The power of brainwashing. Now I'm not sure if they even play music videos or music related programming because there is no reason for me to check that channel out due to the pile of reality crap television they rely on.

You know, when MTV launched in August of 1981, who would have thought where the music industry was headed? It makes the mind blow...
Very interesting, here are the very first 10 videos they played on that important day.

View attachment 92800
I worked for a company that made a controller for commercial-grade VCRs that would allow a user to select a spot to play from and to with a button push or two. One of the uses for that device was a video juke box, using those music videos. One of our customers even had a giveaway for a juke box on MTV, although it didn’t mention that you needed specially programmed tapes for the thing to work.

Back