ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1710980753383.png

WTF! Am I the only Van Halen fan who had no idea that Michael McDonald co-wrote "I'll Wait" from 1984??

:censored: :oops::hi
It took decades for Michael to get his writing credit. He came up with the chorus. Ted Templeman brought him in during some sessions because the group was struggling with the song. I've always loved that song.

So, there has been a good amount of chatter about Dynamic Range values on vinyl. I don't have a dog in the fight at all, nor do I pretend to know what is right or wrong. I tried various iterations of the exact same track from the same vinyl record of mine.

Pentangle, Light Flight. I purchased this new, and minimally did a pretty thorough clean of the album and ensured my TT was up to snuff.
Using Audacity, I ripped track 1. Went with wav files so I could eventually use click repair on the finished product.

RIP Version 1
Track 1, wav, straight from album, no adjustments. DR 10
Track 1, wav, ran through click repair, cleaned up the dead space between tracks. DR 10

RIP Version 2
Track 1, wav, straight from album, no adjustments. DR 10 (this was a 2nd try at ripping this track at exactly the same recording level)
Track 1, wav, ran through click repair, cleaned up the dead space between tracks. DR 10

Anyway, I thought there might be some differences in the DR value across these different iterations, but there wasn't. Even though it was a new vinyl, as per usual, the between track spaces were a bit noisy, and I often use the command "generate silence" within Audacity to clean that up. It can be done on tracks that have a clean ending and a clean start to next track. Also, click repair did find a good amount of clicks across the track, which it easily cleans up.

RIP John Sinclair

Paywall-free link to obit:
https://wapo.st/4cPuX3t

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_...cle_f15c4646-f125-11ee-9a89-e39c41e9b86c.html

Sinclair drew a 9 1/2-to-10-year prison sentence in 1969 from Detroit Recorder's Court Judge Robert Colombo for giving two joints to undercover officers. He served 29 months but was released a few days after Lennon, Stevie Wonder, Bob Seger and others performed in front of 15,000 attendees at the University of Michigan's Crisler Arena.

"They gave him 10 for two/What else can Judge Colombo do/We gotta set him free," Lennon sang in "John Sinclair," a song the ex-Beatle wrote that immortalized its subject.

1972 poster:

1712422585712.jpeg

Last edited:
Back