ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Cow - if there were any disc that should be released in Quad and or multi-channel....it's the debut album from The Cars. The song "I'm In Touch With Your World" absolutely screams for multi-channel. It sounds crazy good in multi-channel stereo....seriously....oh boy. Why can't we have this???

Holy Cow - if there were any disc that should be released in Quad and or multi-channel....it's the debut album from The Cars. The song "I'm In Touch With Your World" absolutely screams for multi-channel. It sounds crazy good in multi-channel stereo....seriously....oh boy. Why can't we have this???

Cause some of the record labels are stupid enough to commission a surround mix only never to release it, as this was exactly what apparently happened with the Cars debut album. :mad:

Reminiscent of the late 80's, we again have an alternate Yes lineup going out on the road this year. Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman & Trevor Rabin are hitting the road in October. A new album is in the works. I will be psyched to see Rabin again as he hasn't been on the road in over two decades. Also, I'm excited by this lineup. I thought there was some great chemistry between Wakeman & Rabin on the 1991 Union tour. I was disappointed that never got developed further.

Here's all the info from Pollstar.

Reminiscent of the late 80's, we again have an alternate Yes lineup going out on the road this year. Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman & Trevor Rabin are hitting the road in October. A new album is in the works. I will be psyched to see Rabin again as he hasn't been on the road in over two decades. Also, I'm excited by this lineup. I thought there was some great chemistry between Wakeman & Rabin on the 1991 Union tour. I was disappointed that never got developed further.

I'm really going to try and get tickets for the Nashville show in November. Can't wait! I have never heard any of these Yes members perform live, so it should be a really special event indeed! :)

Cause some of the record labels are stupid enough to commission a surround mix only never to release it, as this was exactly what apparently happened with the Cars debut album. :mad:

It makes me sick thinking about it...you know, there are just some albums that were made for multi-channel...and this is one of them.....ugh.

I saw the Anderson Ponty Band a couple weeks ago when tickets were 2 for 1 and they were very good. Surprised me for some reason even though I have great love for both of them. Interesting alternate arrangements of YES classics and Ponty's own work was perfect. Both still have their 'chops'.

BTW, in case anyone is interested, here's the link to the official ARW website for a full list of Fall US tour dates: http://www.arw-tour.com

:) :banana:

I think I'll wait until I hear their new music. I've seen Trevor Rabin butcher classic Yes songs on both the 90125 and the Union tours, and much of it was painful on the ears :couch

The press release on the ARW website contains some ridiculous quotes, the funniest one being Rick Wakeman calling himself, Jon Anderson and Trevor Rabin the "holy trinity of Yes". Really :rolleyes:

I think I'll wait until I hear their new music. I've seen Trevor Rabin butcher classic Yes songs on both the 90125 and the Union tours, and much of it was painful on the ears :couch

The press release on the ARW website contains some ridiculous quotes, the funniest one being Rick Wakeman calling himself, Jon Anderson and Trevor Rabin the "holy trinity of Yes". Really :rolleyes:

I'm used to members of Yes butchering Yes music. I have had to deal with Benoit David and (especially) Geoff Downes butchering Yes music over the last eight years. :rolleyes:
And yes, the 'holy trinity of Yes' quote from Rick is excessive, but since Squire's untimely death, I would honestly say that Jon & Rick could be considered the stronger couple of classic Yes members than Steve Howe & Alan White. (And that's not a negative reflection on Steve's playing and contributions at all.)
But as long as Steve & Alan won't let Jon & Rick back in Yes, I fully support this new endeavor from them. :)

I'm used to members of Yes butchering Yes music. I have had to deal with Benoit David and (especially) Geoff Downes butchering Yes music over the last eight years. :rolleyes:
And yes, the 'holy trinity of Yes' quote from Rick is excessive, but since Squire's untimely death, I would honestly say that Jon & Rick could be considered the stronger couple of classic Yes members than Steve Howe & Alan White. (And that's not a negative reflection on Steve's playing and contributions at all.)
But as long as Steve & Alan won't let Jon & Rick back in Yes, I fully support this new endeavor from them. :)

Their website also includes the quote "YES was founded by Jon Anderson in 1968", which is more than a bit disrespectful to Chris Squire.

I've never thought it was a case of "Steve & Alan won't let Jon & Rick back in Yes". Jon has his health issues and said he could no longer do long tours, especially fronting a loud rock band. And over the years Rick, who has retired from touring more than once, has said that he would be willing to play live with Yes again, but only if it was a few large gigs, rather than a tour. And lo and behold ARW is doing a (fairly) lengthy tour :confused:

AAMOF I like Trevor's gtr playing to Steve's..; i know it's apples and oranges...but Trevor is an excellent singer too!!!...and I don't recall any "butchering" of old Yes material in the 90125 or BG Tour...I REALLY liked it,it gave it a new twist...

Now, Geoffrey Downes is a big letdown as a keyboard player, I think he believes his own hype...he ain't no virtuoso and he really butchers the songs.."Awaken" sucks when he tries to play it...

Just to say it out loud here...if anyone is wanting those 2 Barclay James Harvest releases that have the multi-channel layer, take a look at Deep Discount, seems they have the best price...even when adding a few dollars for tax...I had already pre-ordered one from Burning Shed a month ago or so. I will probably get the 2nd one at DD since they have a great price.

LINKY LINKY

Just purchased HDTracks 24/192 stereo, The Doobie Brothers, 8 albums. I had to as a San Franciscan I know the Doobies intimately for years. If MOFI doesn't break into surround releases I think HDTracks will wipe them off the map.

Although there's nothing I'd like better, don't hold your breath until MoFi releases their titles w/Mch.

Just purchased HDTracks 24/192 stereo, The Doobie Brothers, 8 albums. I had to as a San Franciscan I know the Doobies intimately for years. If MOFI doesn't break into surround releases I think HDTracks will wipe them off the map.

Although there's nothing I'd like better, don't hold your breath until MoFi releases their titles w/Mch.

So, is there a possibility that MoFi will follow suit and start releasing MCH on SACD?

This forum may seem small, but it's quite powerful....I personally think we made the AF releases happen. along with other stuff (FMac boxes, etc.)

I wouldn't be surprised in the least....

So, is there a possibility that MoFi will follow suit and start releasing MCH on SACD?

This forum may seem small, but it's quite powerful....I personally think we made the AF releases happen. along with other stuff (FMac boxes, etc.)

I wouldn't be surprised in the least....

Anything is possible. That being said, remember that Mobile Fideity's mastering facilities are Stereo, not Multichannel capable.
So it's unlikely.

Audio Fidelity's Multichannel SACD series is something that happened after years of lobbying from me and I'm sure others.
The idea was to build upon their core audience of listeners who want the best in a Stereo CD and Stereo SACD release of classic albums.
Fortunately they agreed with that suggestion... :)

I have all the MOFI Doobie Brothers, including the SHM CD of Living On The Fault Line, and the surround DVD-A The Captain And Me. The Hybrid SACD's are 24/96 VS the newly 2016 remasters HDTracks are 24/192. I will pick Stampede as my comparison MOFI 24/96 vs HDTracks 24/192 and the SHM-CD 16/44.1 Living On The Fault Line vs the 24/192. I will do this over the weekend and let you know my opinion. I just checked and I am on the (non surround) forum so this qualify's as all are stereo only.

Anything is possible. That being said, remember that Mobile Fideity's mastering facilities are Stereo, not Multichannel capable.
So it's unlikely.

Audio Fidelity's Multichannel SACD series is something that happened after years of lobbying from me and I'm sure others.
The idea was to build upon their core audience of listeners who want the best in a Stereo CD and Stereo SACD release of classic albums.
Fortunately they agreed with that suggestion... :)

Sorry if I may have missed the answer to this previously, but what did Mobile Fidelity do before when they had their short-lived Surround Series?

Back