Allman Brothers "Idlewild South" Deluxe Edition with 5.1 surround coming soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, mate. Keep it coming!
I'm going to go out on a very shakey limb and predict that Idlewild South could be the sleeper set of the year.

This landed at my place today. This has a surprisingly aggressive mix. Just a few songs in.

Apparently this 5.1 remix was done by Kevin Reeves (who just did the Velvet Underground Reloaded 5.1 that's gone down so well).. I don't want to tempt fate but I think we have a new surround mixing keeper, if he keeps it up! :)

idlewild.jpg

I've been through this once. I don't know the album other than the songs that got radio play, and I have no idea what condition the masters are in. That said, this was a surprisingly very immersive experience. While often, instruments were anchored in quad fashion in individual speakers, there are some notable exceptions to that (including one fairly epic pan that folks might not care for). Vocals seem to be very tied to the center channel, and are very clear, although a touch dry. That may be the nature of the original recording. I won't say much more as everybody needs to have their own reactions to this. But, I am pretty darn pleased my first time through.

Do you think it sounds better than the Record Club of America vinyl I bought in 7th grade?

Do you think it sounds better than the Record Club of America vinyl I bought in 7th grade?

Well, less snap, crackle and pop to be sure. Had one low volume pass with it today and I like what I hear, I agree with stormchaser that some of the vocals sound a little dry especially with the bonus songs. But overall a nice mix full and discrete. Will give it a high volume pass on my next day off. Sure hope we get more of the AB's, would really love to hear Bothers and Sisters in surround!

Just got an email from Amazon UK.
I got refunded .03GBP on Idlewild South.
4.5 cents 'merican. WhooHoo!!

Update: just noticed that Amazon UK is using i-parcel shipping.
Apparently a UPS international shipping carrier with tracking info.
I'd never heard of it before.

Last edited:
This release is surprisingly clear and open. My biggest complaint with Tom Dowd engineered releases is a bit of muddiness. His artists and output is impressive, but the albums have never been anywhere close to reference quality.

The new mix of Idlewild South goes a long way toward cleaning up the SQ. And the 5.1 is interesting and discrete without seeming gimmicky. This a a good one. Hope we see and hear more of these.

I will be playing it again tonight. What fun!

Well, less snap, crackle and pop to be sure. Had one low volume pass with it today and I like what I hear, I agree with stormchaser that some of the vocals sound a little dry especially with the bonus songs. But overall a nice mix full and discrete. Will give it a high volume pass on my next day off. Sure hope we get more of the AB's, would really love to hear Bothers and Sisters in surround!

And the s/t first album as well.

This is one I had initially ordered, then canceled with all the other discs I'd been buying...I may regret it....or I may go ahead and still order...I change my mind like the wind. :)

Well, I just bought one, and from BN.com for $10 more than getting one from overseas but at least I won't have to wait until the end of the month to receive it. Supposedly it will arrive Dec. 11. Had a 20% off coupon to use so that helped. Had I been paying attention to this thread I'd have bought it from importcds.com when they had a coupon out. I assumed this was just another one of those dvd-v lossy dts releases, like with Jethro Tull (what a shame about that... haven't bought any of 'em).

None of the B&N stores here have it in stock according to the website, otherwise I would have bought it in the store with the 20% off coupon.

Last edited:
If the Barnes and Noble near where I work still has it i'll get it tomorrow[I was going to ask for it for Christmas but i'm too impatient and I can get it cheaper there too]

If the Barnes and Noble near where I work still has it i'll get it tomorrow[I was going to ask for it for Christmas but i'm too impatient and I can get it cheaper there too]

If you would have mentioned it earlier I think you could have used it for a discount...you might still be able to use it for an online purchase HERE

I couldn't resist any longer and ordered it from one of the Amazon Marketplace retailers for $42.02. I told myself that I need to lay off the discs and start pulling together the funds to replace my dead Pioneer 563A with an Oppo, but there was no way I could miss out on this one.
My whole surround habit now rests on the reliability of a early Yamaha blu ray player that I bought used. :yikes I probably shouldn't push my luck much further.

I bought the set but left the coupon at home but I found out if the coupon's still good they'll apply the dicount to the purchase even after you've bought it.

Back