Allman Brothers "Idlewild South" Deluxe Edition with 5.1 surround coming soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pre-ordered through AmazonUK and based on positive comments, I can't wait to receive this set. Looks like its packaged similar to "Brothers and Sisters" Super Deluxe Edition and the "1971 Fillmore East Recordings" 3 Blu Ray Audio sets.

I received the first one I ordered from B&N. Poorly packaged and damaged. Hopefully the next one is better. If not I'll buy another. And of course the others will be easily returned unopened to the local store.

update: Received my 2nd copy today, also damaged but not nearly as bad. I will check out the local FYE prices tomorrow and see if the 20% off coupon would get the price down low enough. Probably not.

update 2: FYE didn't even have it. Their computer shows a price of $69.99.

Last edited:
Speaking of poor packaging.. I do wonder if the boffins who engineered the card/digi-packaging this comes in actually got to road test the damn thing before it went into production...???

It feels like I might need to borrow the tiny weeny nimble little fingers of a small child to prise the Blu-ray out of its slot.. but with no such small sprog on hand, its tweezer time for the ABB.

Faintly ridiculous the labels have had decades to perfect how to package their product and they still can't come up with a "Universal-ly' elegant solution that 'just works'.

In other news (the packaging will soon be made irrelevant when this goes into the Samsung BD burny thing and onto the little big mac..) I am totally LOVING the super discrete mix -- clearly the whole point of buying this set for most of us here is the Surround and that is so good it does somewhat redeem the naff cardboard case (gotta love all that rear left bongo action!)

Speaking of poor packaging.. I do wonder if the boffins who engineered the card/digi-packaging this comes in actually got to road test the damn thing before it went into production...???

It feels like I might need to borrow the tiny weeny nimble little fingers of a small child to prise the Blu-ray out of its slot.. but with no such small sprog on hand, its tweezer time for the ABB.

Faintly ridiculous the labels have had decades to perfect how to package their product and they still can't come up with a "Universal-ly' elegant solution that 'just works'.

In other news (the packaging will soon be made irrelevant when this goes into the Samsung BD burny thing and onto the little big mac..) I am totally LOVING the super discrete mix -- clearly the whole point of buying this set for most of us here is the Surround and that is so good it does somewhat redeem the naff cardboard case (gotta love all that rear left bongo action!)

Its stupid when you consider some of the boxes from the same record company, Jethro Tull sets, which are very similar to sets by Fairport Convention, Richard Thompson and Sandy Denny, Its not like Universal dont do good box set packaging.

Just enjoying the rather quirky but totally immersive surround of this set now, cowbell behind me Thom Doucette's Harmonica right rear, Nice bass Greggs Vocals front and center.
'Don't Keep me Wonderin' indeed.

The Road does go on forever, I can listen to this agian and again, Big Allmans fan so good to have this and the Fillmore set on Blu Ray

Its stupid when you consider some of the boxes from the same record company, Jethro Tull sets, which are very similar to sets by Fairport Convention, Richard Thompson and Sandy Denny, Its not like Universal dont do good box set packaging.

These are made in the Czech Republic.

Czech you out..! :p

Seems this is the standard these days for many packaging.
I can give you several examples of crap packaging.
Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour 1974 box was like tissue paper, very flimsy paper, arrived in flat condition, very upset!
Allman Brothers - Brothers & Sisters - same shit paper
Allman Brothers - Fillmore East complete BluRay box - even worse, damaged again!
And now this Allman Brothers - Idlewild South is crushed to death as well due to shit design and use of thin cardboard
They are not cheap items yet they use the cheapest available materials
Universal are the worst offender!

Seems this is the standard these days for many packaging.
I can give you several examples of crap packaging.
Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour 1974 box was like tissue paper, very flimsy paper, arrived in flat condition, very upset!
Allman Brothers - Brothers & Sisters - same shit paper
Allman Brothers - Fillmore East complete BluRay box - even worse, damaged again!
And now this Allman Brothers - Idlewild South is crushed to death as well due to shit design and use of thin cardboard
They are not cheap items yet they use the cheapest available materials
Universal are the worst offender!

Cheap and ECO-friendly is what the labels love for packaging, regardless of the consumers' desires for durability and longevity…

Back