Anyone care to guess about this one?? KANSAS SQ LP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larry,

That is true, but if you look at the label, the angle that the photo was taken, the overall "blurriness" of the picture, the exact curvature of the SQ Logo along the label itself, it looks pretty legit. It would be a LOT of work and have to be done with a skillful Photoshop guy to get that SQ "balloon" logo curved and lined up that good.

I think...

You are correct, obviously, about the QAL master numbers. I think it is a case of a mis-labeled product, but the label looks legit.

Odd, however, is that:

- He had such a high Buy It Now price
- He did not add the label photo to the listing
- He withdrew the item

:-jon

groups.yahoo.com/group/Ka...sage/19128

I put the above message on the Kansas Yahoo group. We will see what happens.

DAMN! I forgot how crappy the Yahoo groups are. I could not even go back and edit my post to fix the link to this page!

He probably got an "off line" offer for the album and decided to close the deal and end the auction. I think the label is legit and is just a misprint. I do not believe the record is quad. It is still a neat collectible.

like Cai said he probably sold it off line, but it was kind of "strange" he did have some photos in couple of his past auctions ????? and NOT on this one ???? very, very "strange" i think it was fake !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Earlier today it was bid on, I went and checked , he with drew his bid upon proof of it's existance. Go to the page and click on # of bids and at bottom look for retractions etc.

:x

I was trying to be "indirect"! :D

I got this response at the Kansas forum:

From "belexus"

I'm a big collector of the band and I have never heard of such a
release. There are 1/2 speed master albums of Leftoverture and Point
of Know Return. I've never heard nor seen a quad Kansas album.

If it is genuine, there sure as heck were not many pressed.

I pulled out my album and it is the regular release. No SQ logo or
Quad on it. Catalog # is PZ33385. If it was a true Quad release,
wouldn't the label assign a unique catalog #?

For further reference, I took out an old Kansas fanzine, Closet
Chronicles. This lists all the known releases of the SFA and a quad
release is not listed. I also looked at my issue of Goldmine magazine
which Kansas had a discography printed and a quad release is not
listed.

What ever happened to this LP. Wasn't the guy going to loan it to Cai?

Yeah, I'll be hooking up with the guy in a couple of weeks when he'll be in Seattle. That reminds me, I still need to pick up a regular stereo copy of the LP so we have something to compare his to.

they always pull the auction when the item gets white hot. Was this the same guy who was talking about a quad Kansas LKP a few weeks back, and then never fully answered the questions?

Kinda likle the Autoban Q-Reel a while back. They alwas never answer the final question, and then disappear.

Jeff

Yes It's the Kansas one but I've been / was in contact with him and he pulled it because of the anount of mail he got and wanted to know if it was a rare SQ album and chose our site, and me specificaly to help him with it . I put up his post and off it went . I need to get in touch with him again, unless Cai has done so already!:D
Rob

Okay, I had the opportunity to listen to the "infamous" Kansas - Song For America SQ quadraphonic LP yesterday. Dan, the guy who owns it, stopped by my place with the record in his hot little hand. I had purchased a clean stereo copy to compare it to.

The record labels look totally identical except for the SQ stuff printed at the bottom. On the stereo LP label, this area is blank. The SQ printing is absolutly legitimate. It was obviously printed that way at the factory.

The matrix numbers of the two LP's were not identical, but they were very similar. There was nothing in the matrix number on the quad-labeled LP to indicate that it may be quad.

After the visual inspection, we tossed the stereo LP on the table and listened to about 15 minutes worth through my Tate decoder using the SQ setting. It didn't sound too bad, but was typical of stereo-through-the-Tate performance.

Then we threw the quad-labeled version on the table and... and... and... (drum roll please) it sounded identical to the stereo version through the Tate. This record is without a doubt NOT quad.

Still, it is certainly a cool quad-related collectible. It's either an accidental mis-label or somebody working the printing press decided to pull a prank. I'd be curious to know how many of these are out there. I'd like to have it just for fun, but Dan decided he wants to hang onto it. It's certainly a nice curio to have, but it most certainly is NOT a quadraphonic recording.

Wow! I ended up buying that other one from Dan. I wonder how much this one will go for? I'm still curious how many of these versions with the quad label misprint are out there.

I just realized that this was an original "EZBoard" QQ post. Wow!

I always liked this particular type of Columbia SQ label. To me it looks classier than the early gold deals, and the later labels with the tiny quadraphonic text on them. Something about those lined up SQ logos! :D

Cai, you always wondered if there were more out there!

Back