Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't realize I had Automatic Updates set to "On" and now I've caught the Apple TV 4K mono bug. :mad:
Me too. Uggh. Looks like I updated to 15.0.

Actually, I take it back. Sort of. With some material, it’s mono left only. But with others material, it‘s kind of a weird downmix to stereo. It’s almost like the center is mixed into the right channel and the surrounds are mixed into the left. But I‘m not sure if that’s exactly what it is - and I’m not even sure it’s consistently same.

And then just scrolling thru the “Now In Spatial Audio”, I just heard a song which is just mono left...except there is an occasional sound (a telephone beep) panning from left to right to left.

And now another couple of songs sort of like that one - it seems to be mostly left, but also has some L+R and a little R only. Almost like the rear channels are L+R and the surround channels (what would be height channels, but I’m not Atmos capable) are in the R only.

It’s a complete debacle.

Last edited:
Are all of you listening to Apple Atmos music still on TVOS14 or are any on TVOS15 and able to listen without the mono problem?

I'm still on OS 14.7. But I'd like to ask another question (and favor), in the expectation that I won't be able to ward off this update forever--and that Apple might not fix the problem in a timely way, either. Namely:

Could anyone link back to the posts earlier in this thread that described how to fix the problem on the user side? (Or even better: would those of you who've found a fix--@fredblue?--be willing to post a step-by-step tutorial?)

Last edited:
I'm still on OS 14.7. But I'd like to ask another question (and favor), in the expectation that I won't be able to ward off this update forever--and that Apple might not fix the problem in a timely way, either. Namely:

Could anyone link back to the posts earlier in this thread that described how to fix the problem on the user side? (Or even better: would those of you who've found a fix be willing to post a step-by-step tutorial?)
Check out Bob’s post #1365 about that-

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...tmos-streaming-game.30499/page-69#post-586630

Could anyone link back to the posts earlier in this thread that described how to fix the problem on the user side? (Or even better: would those of you who've found a fix--@fredblue?--be willing to post a step-by-step tutorial?)

I have found that when you notice a song is playing messed up, just skip back to the beginning and it will start playing normal.

"Jagged Little Pill" is a great example of the search fails of Apple Music. There are 5 different versions of Jagged Little Pill, 2 of those in Atmos. The Atmos version of the original album is really hard to find and does not show up in the Alanis Morissette album list.
In summary:
1. Jagged Little Pill (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition): This is Atmos version of the original album. It isn't labled as Atmos in the album summary because the bonus tracks are stereo. I could only find by searching for "Jagged Little Pill" and not by searching for "Alanis Morissette"
2. Jagged Little Pill (Remastered): stereo version of the original album (take that whiners who say the stereo versions will disappear)
3. Jagged Little Pill Acoustic: 2005 stereo recording of the album with acoustic arrangements
4. Jagged Little Pill (Collector's Edition): Original stereo album (but with different cover art) paired with the 2005 acoustic version
5. Jagged Little Pill Original Cast Recording - Atmos version of the broadway show soundtrack.

"Jagged Little Pill" is a great example of the search fails of Apple Music. There are 5 different versions of Jagged Little Pill, 2 of those in Atmos. The Atmos version of the original album is really hard to find and does not show up in the Alanis Morissette album list.
In summary:
1. Jagged Little Pill (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition): This is Atmos version of the original album. It isn't labled as Atmos in the album summary because the bonus tracks are stereo. I could only find by searching for "Jagged Little Pill" and not by searching for "Alanis Morissette"
2. Jagged Little Pill (Remastered): stereo version of the original album (take that whiners who say the stereo versions will disappear)
3. Jagged Little Pill Acoustic: 2005 stereo recording of the album with acoustic arrangements
4. Jagged Little Pill (Collector's Edition): Original stereo album (but with different cover art) paired with the 2005 acoustic version
5. Jagged Little Pill Original Cast Recording - Atmos version of the broadway show soundtrack.

Thanks for your bird-dogging--and for the correction!

the Front Left Mono problem only affects Dolby Audio tracks on my setup, Atmos music seems to be ok.

the only way i've been able to get around it so far is by going into the ATV's Settings while a Dolby Audio tracks playing, change the format to "5.1" (which my AVR then shows as "Dolby Digital") then change to Stereo (Atmos is greyed out and Off while doing this toggling) then change format back again and Atmos is re-enabled and the channels are all back to normal.

its a faff, doesn't always work and sometimes i've had to do it several times during the course of an album! Apple need to sort it out - now! 🤬

the Front Left Mono problem only affects Dolby Audio tracks on my setup, Atmos music seems to be ok.

the only way i've been able to get around it so far is by going into the ATV's Settings while a Dolby Audio tracks playing, change the format to "5.1" (which my AVR then shows as "Dolby Digital") then change to Stereo (Atmos is greyed out and Off while doing this toggling) then change format back again and Atmos is re-enabled and the channels are all back to normal.

its a faff, doesn't always work and sometimes i've had to do it several times during the course of an album! Apple need to sort it out - now! 🤬
The worst thing about it is that I had a ticket open and the feedback was „diagnosis not possible“

Back