Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good question! i guess DV will be ok so long as enough people into all this stuff are still happily buying discs and don't all go over to the dark side of the Atmos!?

tbh i doubt Sony will have used DV's mastering on this one anyway, so that might swing it for some Surround folk and those who want true Hi-Res Lossless of SACD (?).. i will try and compare this new streaming jobby with the Harold Melvin SACD over the weekend.
I don’t have any inside info on this, but I’ve followed these things for many years.

Sony could very well own the DV masters as part of the licensing agreement. It wouldn’t the first time this has happened. And it’s also possible DV only has exclusive license to SACD (and it may only be regional at that) - which leaves Sony still retaining streaming rights. Plus the license to DV may only be good for a finite period of time. And that clock doesn’t necessarily start with the release date.

Licensing is far more complicated than many understand (or the wishful thinkers want to believe).

As stated, you have to get a version above TvOS 14.5 to get Atmos. There is a problem with TvOS 15 which gives only sound in one front speaker.Don't know if it's possible to update to anything other than TvOS 15 now? This bug is not fixed as far as I know.

lol now sound is in one speaker

Tidal was easier than Apple and that did not cost me £169.99 for a box to use

I’ve found a better - but still suboptimal - workaround. Go into the Apple TV 4K settings and doing the following will restore 24/48 Atmos and 5.1.

1) Video and Audio
2) Audio Format
3) Change Format: On [Leave “New Format” as Dolby Digital 5.1]
4) Change Format
5) Change Format: Off

From there on out, you will get the proper format, resolution and channel assignments. The problem is it appears you have to do this everytime you turn the Apple TV 4K off and then back on. I haven’t tried simply leaving the Apple TV on 24/7, but I suspect this might work as a workaround until Apple fixes the bug.
I've tried this but it's not working quite right for me. I have a Spatial Audio playlist, so I start a song then go into settings and make the adjustments. Works great, next song is fine also. By the time the third song comes on, it sounds a little funny. I've lost the Spatial Audio, but it didn't revert to mono on the left speaker like before, the surrounds are gone and I seem to have some sort of stereo.:unsure: Boy, when Apple screws things up they go all out.

I've tried this but it's not working quite right for me. I have a Spatial Audio playlist, so I start a song then go into settings and make the adjustments. Works great, next song is fine also. By the time the third song comes on, it sounds a little funny. I've lost the Spatial Audio, but it didn't revert to mono on the left speaker like before, the surrounds are gone and I seem to have some sort of stereo.:unsure: Boy, when Apple screws things up they go all out.
Some (many actually) songs do that rather than mono L Only.

Did you use the skip forward or did you just let it play through? Skip foward messes things up.

I haven’t had or heard any issues yet with the “changing the auto output” approach. But I haven’t been able to Rewind a few times to get the Rewind solution to work.

Some (many actually) songs do that rather than mono L Only.

Did you use the skip forward or did you just let it play through? Skip foward messes things up.

I haven’t had or heard any issues yet with the “changing the auto output” approach. But I haven’t been able to Rewind a few times to get the Rewind solution to work.
It would appear that getting it working from the start of the playlist, it's magic. Yeah, as soon as I decide to skip a song or whatever, it's gone again.

I’ve found a better - but still suboptimal - workaround. Go into the Apple TV 4K settings and doing the following will restore 24/48 Atmos and 5.1.

1) Video and Audio
2) Audio Format
3) Change Format: On [Leave “New Format” as Dolby Digital 5.1]
4) Change Format
5) Change Format: Off

From there on out, you will get the proper format, resolution and channel assignments. The problem is it appears you have to do this everytime you turn the Apple TV 4K off and then back on. I haven’t tried simply leaving the Apple TV on 24/7, but I suspect this might work as a workaround until Apple fixes the bug.
Those sobees upgraded my version without asking me! Urg.

so something strange happened to me on the way to apple music atmos enlightenment.

I got an apple tv 4k, it had ios 14.7 but no sound would play, only video

I upgraded to ios 15.0 and I got sound, yeah

Here's the weird thing, it plays atmos songs without having me switch my Pioneer SC-97 receiver listening mode from "legacy" to "object"

this is the ONLY input that does this among my many atmos blu-ray discs and iso rips using oppo, nvidia shield, etc.

IOW, there is some serious sorcery going on at apple that they are able to presumably add some sort of flag or meta data something so my receiver is able to detect an atmos stream and automatically play it WITHOUT me having to manually switch listening modes. I've never seen anything like that?? o_O :cool:😲:SB

Last edited:
That is an interesting one, as the tracks show they have Dolby Atmos AND Dolby Audio versions in the store. I do get just Dolby Audio when I play on my AppleTV and get info in my Music library though. The album doesn't show either since the bonus track is just stereo.
Atmos in the store? I don’t see that.

I use the volume back and forward thingy.
Bit less faffing about, for me.
But not much I grant you.
My Apple box is on the latest release...
How did they balls this up?
Ain't no one doing a quality check before pressing go?

what's the volume back and forward thingy?
when i do that it just turns my Receiver's volume up or down! 😅

what's the volume back and forward thingy?
when i do that it just turns my Receiver's volume up or down! 😅

I assume he means these?
appleremote.jpg

Back