Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume he means these?
View attachment 72128

right! thanks! πŸ˜„
i think that might be a track skip thingy rather than a volume thingy?
its been a while since i used that remote i'm on the new ATV now which has a different remote control but i will try the trick on the directional bit at the top of it πŸ‘

48A99A0D-4E76-4790-9A54-E1C96778658B.jpeg

I’d go into settings and get it off Automatic Update (forget the exact choices sorry) but do that for the future, as they can always mess up even more.

gah.. wish i'd done that! πŸ‘ŒπŸ€£
it wasn't so bad to begin with but the constant
back and forth to the drinks cabinet, i mean to toggle the audio format, is getting exhausting! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

gah.. wish i'd done that! πŸ‘ŒπŸ€£
it wasn't so bad to begin with but the constant
back and forth to the drinks cabinet, i mean to toggle the audio format, is getting exhausting! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Before a was awoke to this, I’d thought it had got me on one of the new Moby tunes, because sounded like it just has something coming out of the Left Front by itself and a little bit of everything else starts to kick in slowly πŸ˜“

Before a was awoke to this, I’d thought it had got me on one of the new Moby tunes, because sounded like it just has something coming out of the Left Front by itself and a little bit of everything else starts to kick in slowly πŸ˜“

ah.. is it one of those mixes where you can't quite tell exactly what's coming out of where.. πŸ‘€ or were you in a state of semi-somnolence, daydreaming perchance of those halcyon days before the dreaded TV OS update reareth its wretched countenance upon us? ah fook, that last G&T was a bit lively πŸ˜‹

ah.. is it one of those mixes where you can't quite tell exactly what's coming out of where.. πŸ‘€ or were you in a state of semi-somnolence, daydreaming perchance of those halcyon days before the dreaded TV OS update reareth its wretched countenance upon us? ah fook, that last G&T was a bit lively πŸ˜‹
So the balance was waaaay off between the G and the T (heavily loaded towards the G!)

sooo, what version on this Apple thingy are we up to now, β€˜cause I’m stuck on 14.7 until further QQ notice?

So the balance was waaaay off between the G and the T (heavily loaded towards the G!)

sooo, what version on this Apple thingy are we up to now, β€˜cause I’m stuck on 14.7 until further QQ notice?

15.0 and i'm scared to do any more updates in case it fooks things up even more! πŸ˜…

right! thanks! πŸ˜„
i think that might be a track skip thingy rather than a volume thingy?
its been a while since i used that remote i'm on the new ATV now which has a different remote control but i will try the trick on the directional bit at the top of it πŸ‘

View attachment 72131
Speaking about that remote (again) I’d love to see it about 50% wider, β€˜cause my hands are (well you know, large) and with these added buttons:

1- Info- about the specs on the audio, credits etc.

2- Search- toggled between either Global or from current location.

3- A selectable or programmable Home button.

4- A slight raised bump on that center Select button (I don’t like the depression.)

Can probably think of one or two more with more familiarity.

Speaking about that remote (again) I’d love to see it about 50% wider, β€˜cause my hands are (well you know, large) and with these added buttons:

4- A slight raised bump on that center Select button (I don’t like the depression.)

The new remote has a home button, and I think it can be programmed what to do.

i found the older Apple Remote too basic for my needs to be truly useful and a bit finicky in a way.. the new one is better but isn't really a considerable improvement.

i honestly believe there's a minimum number of buttons a purposeful AV remote should have and the new Apple one is maybe a few buttons light?

this might be a contentious suggestion as it
would require a slightly larger form factor and tbh a complete redesign of the remote layout (and add a load of buttons so Apple would never do it on asthetics alone! πŸ˜‚) but i would add 4 "App Shortcut" buttons for the 4 apps at the top of the screen, numbered 1-4 (i only regularly use 4 tbh; Apple Music, Netflix, Amazon Prime & Disney+).

i would also add a "TV" button to take you straight to all your TV and Movie streaming Apps which would reside in a sub-screen or separate Folder and a "Music" button direct to your Music Apps.

then i would include a "Menu" button to take you straight to the Settings.

i like your suggestion of an "Info" button Mister Pupster, so i'd bung one of those in too πŸ˜„

i found the older Apple Remote too basic for my needs to be truly useful and a bit finicky in a way.. the new one is better but isn't really a considerable improvement.

i honestly believe there's a minimum number of buttons a purposeful AV remote should have and the new Apple one is maybe a few buttons light?

this might be a contentious suggestion as it
would require a slightly larger form factor and tbh a complete redesign of the remote layout (and add a load of buttons so Apple would never do it on asthetics alone! πŸ˜‚) but i would add 4 "App Shortcut" buttons for the 4 apps at the top of the screen, numbered 1-4 (i only regularly use 4 tbh; Apple Music, Netflix, Amazon Prime & Disney+).

i would also add a "TV" button to take you straight to all your TV and Movie streaming Apps which would reside in a sub-screen or separate Folder and a "Music" button direct to your Music Apps.

then i would include a "Menu" button to take you straight to the Settings.

i like your suggestion of an "Info" button Mister Pupster, so i'd bung one of those in too πŸ˜„
you may have overthunk this Freddie, another G&T is now required...
they could sell this new and improved remote as an option/add on (I'd pay maybe an extra $40 IDK)

Then they could call it the MAGA remote- Make Apple Great Again :unsure::whistle:πŸ€ͺ

OK, I fully expect this post to be disavowed by QQ and quickly Nuked ☒

you may have overthunk this Freddie, another G&T is now required...
they could sell this new and improved remote as an option/add on (I'd pay maybe an extra $40 IDK)

Then they could call it the MAGA remote- Make Apple Great Again :unsure::whistle:πŸ€ͺ

OK, I fully expect this post to be disavowed by QQ and quickly Nuked ☒

bah.. always overthunking! you know me, J.Pup! πŸ˜‹

i've got an old Logitech universal learning remote thingy which is mostly screen and no buttons, not used it for years (similar to the ATV remote it had too few buttons to be genuinely useful as i recall and i think relied too heavily on macro's; you press one button and it would do about 18 things at once when 1 or 2 commands would've done!) anyhoo, i'll fish it out and see if i can teach it to do any useful Apple TV commands or even shortcuts, or even get it working its been a while! 🀩🀞

meantime i'll just get back to toggling the audio output (and the handle on the drinks cabinet door) its all on the fritz again! πŸ₯³ 🍸

i've got an old Logitech universal learning remote thingy which is mostly screen and no buttons, not used it for years (similar to the ATV remote it had too few buttons to be genuinely useful as i recall and i think relied too heavily on macro's; you press one button and it would do about 18 things at once when 1 or 2 commands would've done!) anyhoo, i'll fish it out and see if i can teach it to do any useful Apple TV commands or even shortcuts, or even get it working its been a while! 🀩🀞

meantime i'll just get back to toggling the audio output (and the handle on the drinks cabinet door) its all on the fritz again! πŸ₯³ 🍸
I have - and use - a Harmony One. Best universal remote ever made.

I’m using it instead of the Apple TV remote. Works better except for doing searches. I use my ipad or iphone for that.

I have - and use - a Harmony One. Best universal remote ever made.

I’m using it instead of the Apple TV remote. Works better except for doing searches. I use my ipad or iphone for that.
I don't own any Harmony remotes and always heard how great they are; but I believe I saw where Logitech has dropped that remote (they're good at dropping stuff πŸ˜’ .)

Last edited:

https://gizmodo.com/logitech-kills-harmony-universal-remotes-says-it-will-1846660033

I don't own any Harmony remotes and always heard how great they are; but I believe I saw where Logitech has dropped that remote (they're good at dropping stuff πŸ˜’ .)

It’s true- Logitech EOL’d the Harmony remotes. However, they did say they would support the software while people have them in use. What does that mean? Who knows, but I’d assume a few more years of lackluster support and then that’s it (unless someone builds a replacement open-source backend).

seriously off topic, but…

It’s a shame because I have sworn by the Harmony remotes even before Logitech bought Intrigue Tech (the Canadian company that created them). Complicated to setup? A little, but once they are dialed in, they are magic. SW bugs? Logitech, oh Logitech…. All that said, nothing is cooler than having macros to dim all the lights and press play, or being able to bring the lights up when you are done watching something. That level of automation used to take a Crestron or Control4 setup, but Logitech allowed you to pull this off with a $99 remote / hub combo.

The biggest mistake Logitech made was not adapting the Harmony into a system for the future. CEC and voice commands sort of killed the universal remote concept. They could have adapted the idea of the hub/remote system into a whole home automation approach simply by linking the hubs and in the process unfiying home and media systems that don’t talk to each other. Also, it could have allowed for behaviors like starting a streaming movie in your Home theater and having the hubs communicate in a way to β€œtransfer” viewing or listening to another room. Or lights, music, and systems turning on/off as you move through the house.

My favorite Harmony use is waking up every morning to automated lights, and music through an av system (weekends) or tv (weekdays). best alarm clock ever…. LOL

I will seriously miss this when Harmony stops working.

Logitech also killed off my beloved Squeezebox line (will always harbor seething remorse towards them for that one!)

But to pull this thread a little more back in line with Apple & Atmos; the Apple TV 4K I suppose is what, a 2 trick pony? It can do TV apps ( got most of mine loaded up now) and Apple Music with Atmos etc., but what about a web browser? Think that might be added in later additions? I’m doubtful as it veers away from their business, and I’m guessing a Mac Mini can be used as a HTPC type setup? It would just be real handy; QWERTY Apple remote anyone πŸ˜„

Reactions: SMS
Logitech is still doing the Harmony Hubs yes? I find myself using the physical remote less and less. I use the Harmony app on my phone and the Yamaha app for my receiver. And when I am using the Apple TV I mostly use the Apple TV remote, especially now that it can control receiver volume.

Back