SPOTLIGHT Apple TV4k TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its always atmos; no luck
It is the rest of your chain, especially probably anything involving ARC. Hook the AppleTV directly up to an AVR and not through any Sonos stuff or whatever. They probably can't handle 5.1 PCM so it gets mapped down to DD somewhere.

I see that a few here are downloading the mixes. If I may ask, since these are available quite easily for streaming, why download. I realize that some of these may be here today and gone tomorrow, so that is one good reason. Others?
I've tried using the download option on Apple Music and resulted in a .pkg file. 🤷
Is there a method to convert these into FLACs?
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but downloads from Apple Music have DRM protection and I am not aware of a software program or process that bypasses the encryption allowing you to transcode to FLAC or other formats.

Personally, most of the time I have to listen to multichannel audio is in my vehicle so I use a USB audio interface to capture audio streams and convert to FLAC for use in the vehicle. Apple CarPlay doesn’t yet support multichannel playback (at least not in my 2022 Acura MDX).

With Tidal and I think Amazon Music, there is a way to download unprotected .m4a Atmos files. I don’t subscribe to Tidal and don’t know the specifics.

its DD, but 2.0, not 5.1/Apple TV/Sonos Arc/Sony XR-77A80J/EArc
H E L P!
Go to AppleTV Settings -> Video and Audio -> Audio Format. Make sure Change Format is "Off" and "Dolby Atmos" is On.

I have no idea what the Sonos Arc -> Sony -> eArc are going to do, but it doesn't seem like a chain that can pass through 5.1 PCM audio so you may be out of luck, I really don't know those devices.
It is probably down to HDMI and the infernal HDCP, so it will only play the lowest resolution of anything in the chain, and the lastest version scans everything on HDMI, even when switched off (as it can power the HDMI port to read it!).

I had a similar issue with my NUC & Amp, as the Amp was an earlier version of HDCP so the NUC just blocked all output. I connected directly to my TV and made sure the surround audio option was on selected on the TV (Sony OLED) and the NUC was happy saw it as 5.1. I wasn't as the Sony eARC/ARC won't talk to the amp! Also disconnect anything with HDMI wired up which maybe stereo only. I think somebody else on the forum had an issue with a Sonos and surround formats.

Whenever I select a new track, playback always starts a second or so into the song. I always have to scroll back to the top of the screen to the 0:00 indicator and restart the song. Sequential songs in the album start normally. I thought I saw someone else here with a similar issue, but I couldn't find it in a search.

Yep that is a normal occurrence. Pain the the rear.

Coincidently, I had just spent some time researching how to control the Apple 4kTV from my MacBook. Mine is from 2016. Apparently Macbooks from 2018 and later can use the Airplay option. I'll have to try it on an iPad. I'd rather keep the TV off when playing music.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac...Receiver checkbox,stream content to this Mac.
It turns out it was easier than I thought. I clicked on the icon that shows all of the players, and found the Apple 4kTV there on the bottom!

Has anyone found that an ATV4K remote signal/code (not sure which one yet) mucks with other equipment? For me it's a complete PITA cuz it turns on my projector (a UST in the front of the room) which is not only bothersome but also freezes the music streaming through the pre/pro (Lyngdorf MP-40) until the pj is fully on. The pj has a slight fan noise, not bad but I prefer silence, and the 120" picture (now projected against wall art, etc cuz I haven't engaged the electric rolldown screen) is a nuisance. I'd block the IR receiver on the pj but need it at other times, of course. This seems to happen with any remote (ATV4k, ipad, iphone). Argh.

Has anyone found that an ATV4K remote signal/code (not sure which one yet) mucks with other equipment? For me it's a complete PITA cuz it turns on my projector (a UST in the front of the room) which is not only bothersome but also freezes the music streaming through the pre/pro (Lyngdorf MP-40) until the pj is fully on. The pj has a slight fan noise, not bad but I prefer silence, and the 120" picture (now projected against wall art, etc cuz I haven't engaged the electric rolldown screen) is a nuisance. I'd block the IR receiver on the pj but need it at other times, of course. This seems to happen with any remote (ATV4k, ipad, iphone). Argh.
My ATV seems to think it’s a good idea to turn itself on and off, multiple, multiple times ( along with the LG OLED and the Marantz 8012) after I turn it off with the remote. It apparently gets tired of doing this after several hours, and then it stays off. I only put up with this because I LOVE being able to control these three components with just one remote ( the ATV one) for routine listening and viewing.

it seemingly gets “ better” for a while if I disconnect the ATV from power and re connect. It behaves normally for about two days then goes back to its crazy ways. ……

I've just bought an Apple TV 4K, to listen Atmos content with my Marantz 6015.
But to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed regarding the sound quality. When I compare the Atmos mix of Abbey Road with my Blu-ray, it sounds so much more flat - and the LFE is barely audible. It doesn't even power on when I listen with normal volume. It's much lower in volume, too - but I could live with it if I only had to turn up the volume. Am I doing something wrong?
(The Marantz is detecting Atmos from the Apple TV, of course.)

Thanks,
Martin

But to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed regarding the sound quality. When I compare the Atmos mix of Abbey Road with my Blu-ray, it sounds so much more flat - and the LFE is barely audible. It doesn't even power on when I listen with normal volume. It's much lower in volume, too - but I could live with it if I only had to turn up the volume. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Martin
Just to verify, did you adjust the Audio settings?

I am still trying to determine why my router is sending DHCP data every few minutes to this Apple 4kTV device when it is connected through ethernet. No issues when it is on wi-fi. I've nailed the IP address to the ethernet MAC Adress both on the router and the Apple 4kTV device,
Searching through Apple forums and others, it appears i am not the only one with this issue. There seems to be a difference between using the power button and using the sleep option. Also, I wonder if just having other Apple devices on the network could be a contributing factor if they at one time had connected to the Apple4kTV device through the Apple App.

Thanks,
Martin
This theory may take a sec, and it only applies if you have “Dynamic EQ” enabled. If you don’t use DEQ, then ignore the following. A possible explanation for your observations:

1. Dynamic EQ applies a varying EQ vs. volume control setting.

2. At low volume settings (the AVR dB gain level, not the actual audio output volume) Audyssey applies a boost to treble and bass. As the volume level is set higher, the boost is reduced, to the point where no boost at all is applied at a volume level of 0 dB (the actual cutoff level is user-set).

3. The streaming Atmos content (Abbey Road) is, per your observation, much lower in absolute audio level than the audio from the Blu-ray.

4. To hear the streaming content at the same volume as the Blu-ray, you need to crank the volume knob higher.

5. Cranking the volume up, with DEQ enabled, results in less boost at bass and treble frequencies.

6. Thus the Bluray content gets a big boost, but the streaming content does not and sounds bass-shy.

Q.E.D.

Last edited:
What exactly do you mean? The receiver is calibrated with Audessey... and sounds great with Blu-ray and SACD.
I don't see anything special I could do on the AppleTV box?

If the receiver displays 'Dolby Atmos' then your settings are probably correct. I was just checking as settings issues have popped up here one in a while.
Just in case,
Take a look at post #4 from the first page -
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/apple-tv4k-tips-tricks-and-traps.31518/#post-600172
Audio Settings:

Dolby Atmos Playback

Settings>>Audit Format>>Auto, Atmos Available
Settings>>Apps>>Music>>Dolby Atmos>>Automatic

5.1 Speaker Playback (non Atmos)

Settings>>Audit Format>>Change Format>>On
Settings>>Audit Format>>New Format>>Dolby Digital 5.1
Settings>>Apps>>Music>>Dolby Atmos>>Off

Stereo Only Playback

Settings>>Audit Format>>Change Format>>On
Settings>>Audit Format>>New Format>>Stereo
Settings>>Apps>>Music>>Dolby Atmos>>Off

And don't forget to enable Lossless stereo playback in the Music App
Settings>>Apps>>Music>>Audio Quality>>Lossless Audio

Last edited:
This theory may take a sec, and it only applies if you have “Dynamic EQ” enabled. If you don’t use DEQ, then ignore the following. A possible explanation for your observations:

1. Dynamic EQ applies a varying EQ vs. volume control setting.

2. At low volume settings (the AVR dB gain level, not the actual audio output volume) Audyssey applies a boost to treble and bass. As the volume level is set higher, the boost is reduced, to the point where no boost at all is applied at a volume level of 0 dB (the actual cutoff level is user-set).

3. The streaming Atmos content (Abbey Road) is, per your observation, much lower in absolute audio level than the audio from the Blu-ray.

4. To hear the streaming content at the same volume as the Blu-ray, you need to crank the volume knob higher.

5. Cranking the volume up, with DEQ enabled, results in less boost at bass and treble frequencies.

6. Thus the Bluray content gets a big boost, but the streaming content does not and sounds bass-shy.

Q.E.D.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I don't use Dynamic EQ, but even with cranked up volume, there is much less signal in the subwoofer than from the same content on a Blu-ray. All speakers are of course set to full range - so the subwoofer only plays what is mixed to the LFE channel.
It's not possible to adjust the volume for the Apple TV 4K input - and as the stereo content plays louder, I wouldn't like to do it, if I could.
I think I'll reduce the volume on my sub, und run the Audessey setup again. Then the receiver will increase the volume on this channel, and the auto power-on will hopefully work with the Apple TV Box too.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I don't use Dynamic EQ, but even with cranked up volume, there is much less signal in the subwoofer than from the same content on a Blu-ray. All speakers are of course set to full range - so the subwoofer only plays what is mixed to the LFE channel.
It's not possible to adjust the volume for the Apple TV 4K input - and as the stereo content plays louder, I wouldn't like to do it, if I could.
I think I'll reduce the volume on my sub, und run the Audessey setup again. Then the receiver will increase the volume on this channel, and the auto power-on will hopefully work with the Apple TV Box too.
There is an album on Apple Music called Functional Testing which is useful for checking what's going from Apple TV to your receiver.

Back