SPOTLIGHT Apple TV4k TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you clear all cookies related to apple.com to fix it? That worked for me when I changed my password.
Just got it working again yesterday. Don't really know what happened; but I had to go into the Apple TV web site and sign in several times and it eventually came back to accept my Login. I did clear cookies etc. in Chrome, but didn't change my password at any point. So, really wish I could detail a procedure on fixing this, but at this point I have no clue.

Maybe @humprof is brave enough to be the QQ Guinea pig on this (16.3) update 😁
I succumbed! Upgraded the poolside ATV4K 2021 model. Took quite a while to upgrade to the 16.3 beta. It was a risk, as it’s the main use area this time of year. I did have a backup in the bedroom. Only 7.1 down here. Does it sound better? 28C/ 82F here and very sunny. The cicadas are out in force and drowning everything out. They are the heights!!! It does appear to be more detailed but will have to wait for the pestilence to go to bed to be able to tell, if I’m not deaf from background noise. Have only played music so far, so don’t know if there is any other impact. I did notice most other apps updated afterward.

Robert Scoble is stating TVOS 16.3 is a major upgrade for Dolby Atmos. Has anybody tried it. If so what are your experiences with both Atmos and 5.1?

Kind of curious what that means. I mean AppleTV doesn't "render" the Atmos. The Atmos metadata is created by the content creators and passed on to the Atmos receiver/decoder. As I understand it, Apple does decode and reencode the 5.1base (losslessly) to mix in system sounds, but I wouldn't think they do anything with the Atmos data.

With headphones it is a different story as they absolutely are responsible for rendering the spatial audio for 2 channel headphones.

Last edited:
Maybe @humprof is brave enough to be the QQ Guinea pig on this (16.3) update 😁
I finally got tired of the nags and gave in to the update, and I'm not hearing any difference in terms of audio. I don't like what others have already complained about, though, namely: having to navigate and click on "Info" to confirm whether a track is Atmos. I also don't understand why Apple wouldn't want to display that Atmos badge on-screen, given how much hype and money they've sunk into it. Plus, there's so much empty real estate on the Apple TV display screen to begin with; why not fill it with some useful information? (And some bigger artwork!) I don't get it.

I finally got tired of the nags and gave in to the update, and I'm not hearing any difference in terms of audio. I don't like what others have already complained about, though, namely: having to navigate and click on "Info" to confirm whether a track is Atmos. I also don't understand why Apple wouldn't want to display that Atmos badge on-screen, given how much hype and money they've sunk into it. Plus, there's so much empty real estate on the Apple TV display screen to begin with; why not fill it with some useful information? (And some bigger artwork!) I don't get it.
If you have a Atmos compatible AVC it will show DD Atmos in the display when you play an Atmos track. I don't think Apple give much thought to those without proper Atmos playback.

If you have a Atmos compatible AVC it will show DD Atmos in the display when you play an Atmos track. I don't think Apple give much thought to those without proper Atmos playback.
I have an Atmos AVR. But beginning with tvOS 16.2 (I think?), the "Atmos" logo has been removed from the lower righthand corner of the screen when a track is playing. In order to confirm whether the track is Atmos, Lossless, or whatever, you now have to navigate to the lower lefthand corner and press "Info." There was some discussion about this a couple of weeks ago.

I have an Atmos AVR. But beginning with tvOS 16.2 (I think?), the "Atmos" logo has been removed from the lower righthand corner of the screen when a track is playing. In order to confirm whether the track is Atmos, Lossless, or whatever, you now have to navigate to the lower lefthand corner and press "Info." There was some discussion about this a couple of weeks ago.
But your AVR will show Atmos in the display if a Atmos track is played, will it not? If it do I don't see what the problem is. ;)

But your AVR will show Atmos in the display if a Atmos track is played, will it not? If it do I don't see what the problem is. ;)
My Oppo doesn't show that info on the front. I have to push a button for it to show on the screen. Are you saying it was a good idea to remove the tag on the playback screen?

My Oppo doesn't show that info on the front. I have to push a button for it to show on the screen. Are you saying it was a good idea to remove the tag on the playback screen?
Oppo is not an Atmos AVR is it? My answer was to @humprof who has an Atmos AVR. To me the tag had no use so I have no answer to that.

Not without pressing the "Info" button on my AVR's remote, no.

I found it convenient to have the Amos logo display on-screen as a track played, in part because some albums--and many playlists--contain a mix of Atmos and non-Atmos tracks, and I use the DSU for stereo playback. If I happened to be underwhelmed by a given track's mix, then glancing at the screen and looking for the Atmos logo let me quickly verify whether to attribute my lack of enthusiasm to an upmix or to an unimpressive Atmos mix. But it's really just a personal preference, not worth arguing about. It's just that if they were going to go to all the trouble of making changes to the Apple Music for Apple TV display, then there are so many changes they could have made for the better. . . .

I can see how it would be annoying to lose some on screen info, but I've found Apple Music's info is not always reliable. In my setup, it's easy to confirm Atmos by looking at the receiver.

I can see how it would be annoying to lose some on screen info, but I've found Apple Music's info is not always reliable. In my setup, it's easy to confirm Atmos by looking at the receiver.
It would show the wrong info on the song playing? Or do you mean browsing albums?

It would show the wrong info on the song playing? Or do you mean browsing albums?
I almost always play albums rather than individual songs. I remember a handful of albums that either had the Atmos logo on the album page (where the songs are listed) and some or all of the songs were not in Atmos, or the other way around. Honestly, I don't remember ever seeing an Atmos logo on individual songs.

I succumbed! Upgraded the poolside ATV4K 2021 model. Took quite a while to upgrade to the 16.3 beta. It was a risk, as it’s the main use area this time of year. I did have a backup in the bedroom. Only 7.1 down here. Does it sound better? 28C/ 82F here and very sunny. The cicadas are out in force and drowning everything out. They are the heights!!! It does appear to be more detailed but will have to wait for the pestilence to go to bed to be able to tell, if I’m not deaf from background noise. Have only played music so far, so don’t know if there is any other impact. I did notice most other apps updated afterward.
Just wondering whether you have sampled the cicada free experience?

Robert Scoble’s perception of improvement is interesting given @Cheezmo’s insight.

Just wondering whether you have sampled the cicada free experience?

Robert Scoble’s perception of improvement is interesting given @Cheezmo’s insight.
Ha! The cicada’s were even louder today! It’s quietened down a bit now. Initially I thought the non Atmos tracks were suddenly louder than the Atmos, so I tested HR, LL against Dolby Audio and Atmos. In the end I think it’s the same as usual. It sounds good, perhaps there is a bit more separation and the bass is tight but … naw…I think it’s the same. I don’t know what Scoble is going on about. I was hoping the resolution or bitrate might have improved, but I’m dreaming!

On the other side I haven’t found any glitches yet! I’m going to watch Elton’s Farewell Concert from Dodgers Stadium to double check for issues. It’s on Disney+ in 5.1 , crap surround, but a great picture.

Back