SPOTLIGHT Apple TV4k TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're going for the new 2022 Apple TV 4K (available Nov. 4th); you need to be aware that the Apple TV 4K is available in two configurations: Apple TV 4K (Wi-Fi), which offers 64GB of storage; and Apple TV 4K -128 GB (Wi-Fi + Ethernet), which offers support for Gigabit Ethernet for fast networking and streaming.

So take note: no Ethernet on the cheaper model!!!

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/10/apple-introduces-the-powerful-next-generation-apple-tv-4k/

https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-4k/

Am I doing something wrong? I add tracks to a queue and accidentally hit Play instead of Add Next on a selection, the whole queue is destroyed. Is there any way to change that setting?

Thanks

Am I doing something wrong? I add tracks to a queue and accidentally hit Play instead of Add Next on a selection, the whole queue is destroyed. Is there any way to change that setting?

Thanks
I am not aware of a way to change that setting. One suggestion would be to save your queue as a Playlist so that if you lose it you can always retrieve it.

Here's a problem that I thought was universal--until it became apparent to me that no one else was complaining about it!

I have an older ATV4K, with the old remote--which I don't hate, although I concede that the way it operates makes for slow and awkward searches. I typically get around that by doing most of my searches in the Apple Music browser app on Windows.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that many of the albums I was adding to my library were showing up with each track doubled; i.e., the running order would go 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, etc. Extremely annoying either to hear each track twice or else have to skip ahead every other song--so much so that I was finally moved to call Apple Support. After scratching their heads for a while, they finally concluded that this was some strange effect of how the Windows browser app--which they officially regard as "third-party software"--was interacting with the latest beta version of tvOS (I had my ATV registered for the beta software program, with automatic updates turned on).

As it happens, I also recently acquired my first MacBook, so the only solution they could recommend was a) turn off beta and stick with the next full update once it comes out, and b) remove the affected albums from my library and re-add them from Apple Music on either the MacBook or the Apple TV. Giving some attention to improving Apple Music for Windows isn't a priority, I guess. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Here's a problem that I thought was universal--until it became apparent to me that no one else was complaining about it!

I have an older ATV4K, with the old remote--which I don't hate, although I concede that the way it operates makes for slow and awkward searches. I typically get around that by doing most of my searches in the Apple Music browser app on Windows.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that many of the albums I was adding to my library were showing up with each track doubled; i.e., the running order would go 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, etc. Extremely annoying either to hear each track twice or else skip ahead every other song--so much so that I was finally moved to call Apple Support. After scratching their heads for a while, they finally concluded that this was some strange effect of how the Windows browser app--which they officially regard as "third-party software"--was interacting with the latest beta version of tvOS (I had my ATV registered for the beta software program, with automatic updates turned on).

As it happens, I also recently acquired my first MacBook, so the only solution they could recommend was a) turn off beta and stick with the next full update once it comes out, and b) remove the affected albums from my library and re-add them from Apple Music on either the MacBook or the Apple TV. Giving some attention to improving Apple Music for Windows isn't a priority, I guess. :rolleyes:
This happened to me too, but I'm not part of the beta program, but I have a Windows PC with AM installed.

Do any of you ATV4K Atmos listeners get some stuttering or garbling that requires (I don't yet have a solution that is foolproof) either restarting both the pre/pro and the ATV4K box or just walking away from it for awhile? It seems (not sure though) to happen when I browse and sample too quickly. It's happened when I demo for a friend (cuz I'm sampling several titles) and, of course, shuts down the demo. :(

Do any of you ATV4K Atmos listeners get some stuttering or garbling that requires (I don't yet have a solution that is foolproof) either restarting both the pre/pro and the ATV4K box or just walking away from it for awhile? It seems (not sure though) to happen when I browse and sample too quickly. It's happened when I demo for a friend (cuz I'm sampling several titles) and, of course, shuts down the demo. :(
Can't say I've experienced that one...

Check your storage- if it's getting full, I have seen this issue.

Fix?
1. Delete apps, shut down apps in use, and reboot ATV
If that doesn't work...
2. Install the latest beta
If that doesn't work...
3. Reset and set up ATV from scratch

1. fixed it for me.

Apple seems to be on a quest to make their user interface less informative and more obtuse.

tvOS 16.2 brings us...

When you press menu during song playback, it used to show the format in the lower right corner. Quick way to check if something was in Atmos, Lossless or whatever. No more. Just nothing. There is now an "Info" button in the lower left corner, if you navigate to that and click it a pop up tells you the format. So convenient.

Also, when you press menu, there is new little "checkmark" button on the far right above the bar. Obvious what that means, right? Well if you click it, it removes the song from your library. Who would know what that check mark means and that it would do something destructive without asking for confirmation. How convenient.

Totally boggles my mind what they are thinking sometimes.

Apple seems to be on a quest to make their user interface less informative and more obtuse.

tvOS 16.2 brings us...

When you press menu during song playback, it used to show the format in the lower right corner. Quick way to check if something was in Atmos, Lossless or whatever. No more. Just nothing. There is now an "Info" button in the lower left corner, if you navigate to that and click it a pop up tells you the format. So convenient.

Also, when you press menu, there is new little "checkmark" button on the far right above the bar. Obvious what that means, right? Well if you click it, it removes the song from your library. Who would know what that check mark means and that it would do something destructive without asking for confirmation. How convenient.

Totally boggles my mind what they are thinking sometimes.
so true.. 😫

somewhat reluctantly, as most things were working ok, i updated the TV OS last night in order to try Apple's new "Sing" feature (only to find its incompatible with the 2nd Gen 4K model.. 🤦‍♀️ ) and found all these dreadful interface changes you detail.

incredibly, they took something that was maybe less than ideal but kinda worked and made it even worse! 🤷🏻‍♀️🤯

Huh. Well, I went into my settings to turn off Auto-Update, only to find out that I'm already on tvOS 16.2 (20K5348d). But my display screen looks familiar: on an album page, the Dolby Atmos name & icon are right where they used to be (i.e., right under the artist name & album title), and when an album is playing, the Atmos indicator for a given track displays in the lower right-hand corner when I hit "Menu."

Yes, almost like the entire signal is pumping up and down in volume I typically change to another track and its fine. It never happens when i play an entire album, its only when sampling tracks.

Huh. Well, I went into my settings to turn off Auto-Update, only to find out that I'm already on tvOS 16.2 (20K5348d). But my display screen looks familiar: on an album page, the Dolby Atmos name & icon are right where they used to be (i.e., right under the artist name & album title), and when an album is playing, the Atmos indicator for a given track displays in the lower right-hand corner when I hit "Menu."

I believe that is because you are on a model that doesn't support "Sing". I think the UI changes were to keep the lyrics going after hitting menu (the lyrics would cover the space where the Atmos indicator was). So I guess on the older models, they left things alone.

I believe that is because you are on a model that doesn't support "Sing". I think the UI changes were to keep the lyrics going after hitting menu (the lyrics would cover the space where the Atmos indicator was). So I guess on the older models, they left things alone.
Hope you're right about that (selfishly). On the other hand: the damn thing is already nagging me to greenlight the latest update that's downloaded and ready to install. . . .

Apple is really starting to piss me off now.

I'm signed into iTunes on my Win. 10 machine and my Apple TV 4K, but when I hit a link in my browser "Chrome" for my Apple Music (from our thread "Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple"; it doesn't recognize my Log in 😠

Robert Scoble is stating TVOS 16.3 is a major upgrade for Dolby Atmos. Has anybody tried it. If so what are your experiences with both Atmos and 5.1?

Attachments

• B69B7576-C27C-4A5C-806B-2FD5BA6C2E5E.png
    B69B7576-C27C-4A5C-806B-2FD5BA6C2E5E.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Apple is really starting to piss me off now.

I'm signed into iTunes on my Win. 10 machine and my Apple TV 4K, but when I hit a link in my browser "Chrome" for my Apple Music (from our thread "Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple"; it doesn't recognize my Log in 😠
Did you clear all cookies related to apple.com to fix it? That worked for me when I changed my password.

How do I change the view in now playing from horizontal to vertical or how do I see a vertical list of my queue? I could have sworn I saw this a couple days ago, but I don't see it now in my Apple TV (1st gen).

Back