SPOTLIGHT Apple TV4k TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bluetooth or IR? IR goes to home screen and I lose some keyboard commands. Bluetooth goes into sleep mode unless I use another remote and quickly push the "down" button. Either way, I have to use two remotes when I select a different Activity, and I still want to stay on the ATV.
I use IR

I made two Activities, one IR and one Bluetooth. Only the ATV Bluetooth Activity will go into sleep if I switch to a different Activity.

Using the ATV IR Activity, when I switch to another Activity, the ATV goes to the home screen, and I have to use a remote to get back to where I was when I changed Activities. As I mentioned, this is the only device that does this. I have every device set to manually power on/off. Not a huge issue but just annoying that I had to setup my backup hub/Companion remote for one purpose, to get around this issue.

Just installed 16.3.2 on the ATV and after gliding through a few songs, the couple of seconds lag at the beginning of Atmos songs seems to be pretty much gone, can anyone else confirm?
Yes!!! Finally! I thought it was just some anomaly with my hardware - it's been driving me crazy as I have an Atmos Demo Tracks playlist I use for demoing Atmos songs at studios and my home, and skip forward often - the lag was annoying.

I'm happy to confirm this update removes it completely.

It seems at some point recently, navigation on the Apple Music TV4K Now Playing screen changed. It used to be that I could scroll across the songs in the now playing list, and there would be three dots where I would get options like remove or play next. Now, scrolling right or left just plays the next or previous track. Is there a way to restore the old functionality? Or at lease how can I scroll through and make changes to the songs in the now playing list?

Thanks!

It seems at some point recently, navigation on the Apple Music TV4K Now Playing screen changed. It used to be that I could scroll across the songs in the now playing list, and there would be three dots where I would get options like remove or play next. Now, scrolling right or left just plays the next or previous track. Is there a way to restore the old functionality? Or at lease how can I scroll through and make changes to the songs in the now playing list?

Thanks!
I thought there was an option for a vertical layout with more options like you mentioned. There certainly should be regardless.

I had an Apple Survey request on Friday related explicitly to Apple TV 4K (3rd Gen). It was very detailed. My response in general was that I had multiple Apple TVs and it was the device of choice for TV watching and Music playback. I made clear that the purchase of the most recent models was primarily, if not solely, for the playback of Dolby Atmos, Spacial Audio and Hi Re/Lossless Apple Music content via an AVR. The penultimate question at the end was 'What one feature would you most like to be added to the Apple TV 4K'. My response was that I would like to be able to play Hi-Res Lossless at the full bit rate and a higher resolution/bitrate Dolby Atmos directly via HDMI to the AVR. (I would also like two HDMI outlets, like the Oppo's where one goes to audio and the other direct to the TV but I didn't think I would push my luck.) Normally I would dismiss this type of survey, but since they asked so specifically, I thought I would take the opportunity to tell them what I think is lacking. I only mention it on the off chance members get a similar survey and pause before putting it in the trash or spam folder.

I had an Apple Survey request on Friday related explicitly to Apple TV 4K (3rd Gen). It was very detailed. My response in general was that I had multiple Apple TVs and it was the device of choice for TV watching and Music playback. I made clear that the purchase of the most recent models was primarily, if not solely, for the playback of Dolby Atmos, Spacial Audio and Hi Re/Lossless Apple Music content via an AVR. The penultimate question at the end was 'What one feature would you most like to be added to the Apple TV 4K'. My response was that I would like to be able to play Hi-Res Lossless at the full bit rate and a higher resolution/bitrate Dolby Atmos directly via HDMI to the AVR. (I would also like two HDMI outlets, like the Oppo's where one goes to audio and the other direct to the TV but I didn't think I would push my luck.) Normally I would dismiss this type of survey, but since they asked so specifically, I thought I would take the opportunity to tell them what I think is lacking. I only mention it on the off chance members get a similar survey and pause before putting it in the trash or spam folder.
Oh how I hope I get a survey like that. Not to rip on them but, like you, simply point out how things could be improved. I’ve got three AppleTVs in the house (on top of all the other Apple products I own) so I would hope they might think, “Maybe this guy has an opinion or two that might be of interest to us.”

When I use the Apple Music app on my Macbook pro to play tunes from my library on the Apple 4KTV by selecting the A4KTV from the player list pulldown on the Macbook Apple Music app, the A4KTV plays the STEREO version instead of the ATMOS. If I select directly from the A4KTV, then it plays the ATMOS, however I am trying to control the A4KTV playback without having to turn on the TV and view the A4KTV display. I checked the preferences on the MACbook and I changed the output to ATMOS (even though my Macbook does not have ATMOS capabilities). Is there any option to do that?

Thanks!
Try clicking and holding on the song. Options come up that way to "play next", "go to album", etc.

Hope that helps.

When I use the Apple Music app on my Macbook pro to play tunes from my library on the Apple 4KTV by selecting the A4KTV from the player list pulldown on the Macbook Apple Music app, the A4KTV plays the STEREO version instead of the ATMOS. If I select directly from the A4KTV, then it plays the ATMOS, however I am trying to control the A4KTV playback without having to turn on the TV and view the A4KTV display. I checked the preferences on the MACbook and I changed the output to ATMOS (even though my Macbook does not have ATMOS capabilities). Is there any option to do that?
It sounds like you’re trying to play the Atmos tracks from your MacBook to your Apple TV via Airplay. If that is the case, then you should know that Airplay does not support Atmos.

If that’s not what you were doing that all I can do is offer my apologies for not having a better answer.

How do I sort a playlist on the AppleTV 4K?

I can easily do it in Apple Music on my MacBook Pro and iPhone, but I cannot find the sort feature on individual playlists on the AppleTV. The sort settings from the MacBook do not sync to the AppleTV.

Try clicking and holding on the song. Options come up that way to "play next", "go to album", etc.

Hope that helps.
I still have two issues with that. First, how do I scroll through the list of songs in the now playing queue? The left and right buttons now play the next or previous track, rather than scroll through the list. Second issue is that I am using a Control4 remote, which does not support push and hold functionality.

I still have two issues with that. First, how do I scroll through the list of songs in the now playing queue? The left and right buttons now play the next or previous track, rather than scroll through the list. Second issue is that I am using a Control4 remote, which does not support push and hold functionality.

Apple strikes again. With the Apple remote, you swipe to navigate the songs in the Now Playing list...indeed, clicking starts the next song. Just tried it out. You may have to use the OE remote. Not very helpful in your case and the Control4.

It sounds like you’re trying to play the Atmos tracks from your MacBook to your Apple TV via Airplay. If that is the case, then you should know that Airplay does not support Atmos.

If that’s not what you were doing that all I can do is offer my apologies for not having a better answer.
Thanks for the reply, yes, I am using the Airplay option but I thought that since I selected the A4KTV , I could use the control on the Macbook to control the Apple Music controls on A4KTV. Wishful thinking, unless there is a setting for that.

Thanks for the reply, yes, I am using the Airplay option but I thought that since I selected the A4KTV , I could use the control on the Macbook to control the Apple Music controls on A4KTV. Wishful thinking, unless there is a setting for that.

On your MacBook, in the Music app, click the Airplay icon and under all the speakers there should be a "switch to" section. If you select your AppleTV there, it will show the content accessible on the AppleTV and what is playing there. Playing Next, etc. will all be the AppleTV. I think that is what you are looking for.

If you don't have those options you may need to update you Mac and/or AppleTV to the latest version.

Back