Are "Everest" Quad LP's really Quad??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxforddickie

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I have a question that i'm hoping someone can give an answer to. On mark Anderson's classical list, the Everest label has only one release listed, but it also states : "This has the QS logo on the back, but like other Olympic LPs is probably not quad"

Does anyone know 'for a fact' that this label added the QS logo and bumf stating it is Quad as a marketing stunt, or are they really Quad, and does anyone actually have one?

The reason is there's one on E-Bay that states it's Quad, but i'm not willing to waste the money people have donated on something that's fake

OD

My money is on marketing stunt. I've got some Vox titles that seemed that way, so I shied away from Everest. It looks low budget. The Vox pressings said QS and had surface noise that popped like popcorn. The bain of most US '70's Classical/Opera LP's. The Vox was exceptionally noisy.

Linda
Quasi-QS titles can ruin your stylus, if played backwards

I tried an Everest LP in several modes, nothing seemed quad.

My money is on marketing stunt. I've got some Vox titles that seemed that way, so I shied away from Everest. It looks low budget. The Vox pressings said QS and had surface noise that popped like popcorn. The bain of most US '70's Classical/Opera LP's. The Vox was exceptionally noisy.

Linda

I guess I had better luck. The various Vox Box sets I've bought sound what I think to be unusually good. As far as whether or not they're quad, I think they are. But the microphones used to record the rear channels just don't sound that different from the front channels. I blame bad engineering decisions in the recording process.

Now Angel quad releases - there's some popcorn for ya!

J. D.

The Vox Box of Ravel's complete orchestral works by the Minnesota Orchestra at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis is excellent and sure sounds quad to me. Of course, the recordings are of the ambience type in the back channels.

Doug

US made Angel records were popcorn city even in mono. Their SQ were even worse.

Totally opposite to UK EMI pressings then, who were actually 2nd to Decca, who really knew how to press LP's, even matching up the labels on both sides

OD

Which is why I always sought out UK or West German EMI LP discs when possible. Especially so on classical titles. US Capitol also remastered the Angels and poorly so.

I have one of those Everest LPs that announced them to be "QS Regular Matrix"... and it was... MONO!!!

So don't fall for this.

As I recall, "back in the '70s" we ignored the Everest guads as shams

HI.
I DONT NO IF THIS IS THE RIGHT PLACE TO VIEW THIS .
IF SOME ONE COULD TELL ME WHAT QUAD TYPE THIS LP IS THAT I HAVE. Image1.jpg

I have one Everest record of a recording advertised as quadraphonic, with the Sansui QS logo...

... the recording was ancient, bad sounding, and MONO !!

Actually, I would shy away from any Everest that has QS on it. The original Everest series by Bert Whyte is excellent but the later owners slapped the Everest label on to all sorts of variously-obtained program material and none of it was the quality equal to Whyte's recordings. I have many of the originals but any sort of quad should be a red-flag if its on any Everest.

Quad of the phony variety. I bought that fake. Another Quadrophile sent me a couple of A&M QS discs so I could try my Sansui.

Back