Are They 4.0 or 5.1 SACD Surround Sound?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every AF and DV SACD that was sourced by a Quadraphonic Master from the '70s has had an empty LFE and C channel when I've ripped them. They are not like the 1990's DTS-CDs that had added faux material in those channels.

Thanks to all my friends here for the kind reply

I just check all my QUAD SACD titles from Audio Fidelity (29) and Dutton-Vocalion (28 so far)

4.0 SACD It's for me on my audio system

Regards,

Last edited:
As Jon wrote above, for compatibility with modern AVRs most digital quad releases have 6 channels (standard 5.1 layout) with silent centre and LFE. So these play as quad. If you look at the channel waveforms in Foobar, for example, you will see 6 channels with only 4 with sound. Some are released with five (5.0) channels with a silent centre too.

Edit:
I’m pretty sure there is no standard for a pure 4.1 channel layout. These would need to be released with 6 channels (5.1 layout) with a silent centre channel for compatibility with most AVRs

One thing I've noticed is that on some of the Sony 5.1 remixes (e.g. Billy Joel's The Stranger and 52nd Street), the LFE channel leaves the instruments intact. On Carole King's Tapestry, the LFE channel is generated. Is there a term for this?

I only noticed because I typically rip discs and listen to each channel in isolation. I'm very happy that Dutton Vocalion doesn't tamper with the quad mixes. An artificially generated center would not be good for Legrand's Songs of the Century or Conniff's TV Themes!

As Jon wrote above, for compatibility with modern AVRs most digital quad releases have 6 channels (standard 5.1 layout) with silent centre and LFE. So these play as quad. If you look at the channel waveforms in Foobar, for example, you will see 6 channels with only 4 with sound. Some are released with five (5.0) channels with a silent centre too.

Edit:
I’m pretty sure there is no standard for a pure 4.1 channel layout. These would need to be released with 6 channels (5.1 layout) with a silent centre channel for compatibility with most AVRs

yes! MultiCh SACD doesn't (and afaik can't) have a 4.0 or 4.1 config, it has to be either 5.0 or 5.1. I will check some 3-channel SACDs and see how they were authored just for fun! :giggle:

For the Vocalion SACD's, Foobar always says 6 channels, but of course shows the physical representation as 4.
My Oppo shows them as 5.1 in the onscreen display also, but here again only sound from the corners (unless I change the Onkyo's settings and derive some bass for the sub).
No wonder people get confused, for the love of Quad!
Same with Audio Fidelitys quad releases, foobar picks up six channels albeit no activity in two of them.

Edit: now I saw HomerJau and fredblues posts!

Back