Atmos Playback In 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still don't have an Atmos amp and only have 5.1 speakers.

Question: if I get an Atmos amp but leave my speakers as 5.1 will it create a better sound mapping? I.e. put middle sounds in the phantom middle rather than out of the rear? (I would assume it would. It would be a relatively easy upgrade compared to paying for and installing all those speakers.)

My DENON 8500 only "recognizes" Atmos if the speaker configuration is 7.1 or above.
With just 5.1 speaker configuration, it does not recognize Atmos and play the TrueHD (7.1) input file to the available 5.1 speakers.

I'm afraid the AVR will just play the 5.1 substream (if existing in the TrueHD Atmos file) or play the 7.1 substream with the just 5.1 available speakers. In the last case (your case) I'm afraid it will just merge the content of each surround and surround back channels to the single 5.1 surround speaker. I cannot assure that but it is what I guess.

These are my captures of the same Atmos input file for different AVR speaker configurations:

1707674847793.png

1707674867014.png

My DENON 8500 only "recognizes" Atmos if the speaker configuration is 7.1 or above.
With just 5.1 speaker configuration, it does not recognize Atmos and play the TrueHD (7.1) input file to the available 5.1 speakers.

I'm afraid the AVR will just play the 5.1 substream (if existing in the TrueHD Atmos file) or play the 7.1 substream with the just 5.1 available speakers. In the last case (your case) I'm afraid it will just merge the content of each surround and surround back channels to the single 5.1 surround speaker. I cannot assure that but it is what I guess.

These are my captures of the same Atmos input file for different AVR speaker configurations:

View attachment 101382

View attachment 101383
But your AVR will adapt to play 5.1.4/5.1.2? Correct?

But your AVR will adapt to play 5.1.4/5.1.2? Correct?
Yes. I usually play at 9.1.4 with Wides.

What I did is just what you were asking for. Use an Atmos capable AVR with just a 5.1 speaker config.

My test sugest to me that with only 5.1 speakers the AVR would just merge the surround channels, the same you are having now. Is just with 7.1 speakers that the AVR recognizes Atmos and can render better the distint surround speakers pairs.

In summary, I don't think your upgrade to an Atmos AVR would render the Atmos mix differently than what you have now with 5.1 speakers. But I could be wrong

I found them rear-heavy.
Simply turn the rears down a db or two. I change my levels from album to album. I can't imagine listening to an entire album when it didn't sound balanced knowing I could make it sound better. Rooms and speakers are different from where the mix was made.

Simply turn the rears down a db or two. I change my levels from album to album. I can't imagine listening to an entire album when it didn't sound balanced knowing I could make it sound better. Rooms and speakers are different from where the mix was made.
Advise to live by. I change the height volume for Atmos regularly based on the material. The surrounds less so. Front stage never.

Thanks. I often adjust my rears, but this would not improve this type of problem. The problem is that the middle and rear sounds are merged together, so reducing rear volume would just put all of the rear sounds in the middle.

Last edited:

Thanks. I often play in 4.1 and my amp is quite happy to create a phantom centre there, so I am surprised that my 7.1 amp does not seem to do it front-back when configured 5.1. (Though maybe it could if I changed the settings or physical connections - it might be that I have my speakers set to the 'wrong' setting. I'm not saying this for you to concern yourself with, just thinking out aloud.)

...and those titles are?

Obviously false, perhaps?
We own almost all Pink Floyd versions ( except 8 track), including the 50th bluray, purchased it as well due to we are avid fans and favorite band. Rush moving Pictures and Signals Box sets. The DTS5.1 on Moving Pictures was very well done . The 'folded' down atmos and the 5.1 True hd a half hearted attempt was made. Compared to the DTS on Moving pictures Dts not even a choice. Yeah.. we are liars dude.. bs . I can take some pics if you want Joe Friday Homicide...

Whatever it does, it sounds like crap compared to any well done DTSMA 5.1 (compared to the 'quality of 'upfolding' 5.1 atmos supposed equivalent.) We will no longer purchase non DTS-5.1 atmos only titles. We hoped that the new Pearl Jam didn't pull this ...but yup. no DTS 5.1 either now. Will not purchase. F KNEW this would happen months ago.Typical 'music' company crap in partnership with streaming. Will never get into this internet music rental streaming either. All as designed. So thankful at how much we own over so many years.

Last edited:
If it's on Blu Ray, the Atmos bed is Dolby True HD which is lossless. It is therefore capable of being bit for bit identical to DTS HD MA. It's not the fact it is Atmos that is the problem, it's what it has been used for. Just like CDs can sound fantastic or can sound crap with a loudness wars mastering.

Streamed Atmos is a different matter since it is lossy encoded, and this is largely hidden from the listener.

A few notes to clarify a little:

The Atmos TrueHD (Blu-ray) played in a non-Atmos system plays the 5.1/7.1 Substream. PLEASE REMEMBER: It is a Substream. NOT A BED

That Substream is lossless TrueHD. OK. But when someone says it sounds like crap, I assume he is referring to the mix quality, not the sound quality compared with DD+ streaming.

The Mix from the TrueHD 5.1/7.1 Substream is not done by the mixing engineer. It is done by the “automatic downmix” from the production tool that generates the TrueHD file from the Master Atmos (for playing retro-compatibilty).

Depending on the Atmos mix, that “automatic downmix” may be good or not. If the Mixing engineer considers it is not good, he will craft another dedicated mix for 5.1, if time/budget allows it. That separate 5.1 mix is usually rendered to DTS-HD MA in a Blu-Ray. Same sound quality as the TrueHD, but different mix. Different Mix --> so subjective comparisons apply.

The Atmos TrueHD (Blu-ray) played in a non-Atmos system plays the 5.1/7.1 Substream. PLEASE REMEMBER: It is a Substream. NOT A BED
That's just a matter of what name you give things. It still contains all the sounds and is still what the Atmos objects are subtracted from for Atmos playback. It is not an entire separate copy of the audio, if you think it is please provide some references (oh I forgot, Dolby don't document Atmos).
That Substream is lossless TrueHD. OK. But when someone says it sounds like crap, I assume he is referring to the mix quality, not the sound quality compared with DD+ streaming.
Actually I think inspclouseau was saying it's inherently a crap codec, at least that's how it read to me.
The Mix from the TrueHD 5.1/7.1 Substream is not done by the mixing engineer. It is done by the “automatic downmix” from the production tool that generates the TrueHD file from the Master Atmos (for playing retro-compatibilty).
My understanding is the downmix can be performed on auto as you describe, but it can also be manually directed by the mixing engineer. And it is possible (and indeed demonstrated with Dark Side of the Moon Atmos test tones) to have sounds come out in different places between the True HD stream and the Atmos render to a 5.0 system like mine.
Depending on the Atmos mix, that “automatic downmix” may be good or not. If the Mixing engineer considers it is not good, he will craft another dedicated mix for 5.1, if time/budget allows it. That separate 5.1 mix is usually rendered to DTS-HD MA in a Blu-Ray. Same sound quality as the TrueHD, but different mix. Different Mix --> so subjective comparisons apply.
The automatic downmix on Dark Side of the Moon is not good, like the Atmos test tones there's a lot of wishy washy "in the middle" going on. The positioning is much more precise on my 5.0 system when I tell it to play the Atmos, so I'm getting a local render to 5.0 rather than the substream/bed whatever it is on the disc.

Last edited:
That's just a matter of what name you give things.
I like to name things by their correct name, especially when describing technical things. This helps to better understand the technology behind our beloved hobby.

Bed Channels
Bed Channels is an Atmos concept that applies only in the mixing process. As a mixing engineer you can use either Bed Channels or Objects… when You are mixing.
https://professionalsupport.dolby.com/s/article/What-is-a-bed?language=en_US#:~:text=A bed is a channel,for stereo or surround panning.
The mixer engineer can use “Beds” up to 7.1.2

TrueHD and Substreams
The final rendered consumer TrueHD file is structured as a series of substreams, and can be seen in the chapter “2.3 External organization” of this document:
https://developer.dolby.com/globala.../dolbytruehdhighlevelbitstreamdescription.pdf

Dolby Atmos in a TrueHD file

The Master Dolby Atmos mix is “exported” to a final consumer file TrueHD, that use 4 substreams:
- Substreams 1,2,3 with pre-rendered 2.0 / 5.1 / 7.1 mch mixes that are “downmixed” from the Atmos Master when producing the TrueHD file at the production studio. This is done by the “export” Tool.
- A Substream 4 that contains Atmos Metadata, for the AVR/processor to “decode” and “render” the Atmos mix to the available speakers.
This is what I’ve found in trusted posts of some forums like AVSFORUM. Still looking for “official” Dolby description of this.

It still contains all the sounds and is still what the Atmos objects are subtracted from for Atmos playback. It is not an entire separate copy of the audio, if you think it is please provide some references (oh I forgot, Dolby don't document Atmos).
Yes, the substreams 5.1/7.1 in the TrueHD file contains all audio, that has been “downmixed” from the Master Atmos mix into 5.1 / 7.1

“it is not an entire separate copy…” What do you mean? If you “decode/extract” only that substream from the TrueHD file you do get an entire separate copy.

Actually I think inspclouseau was saying it's inherently a crap codec, at least that's how it read to me.

I agree that saying only that one thing is a “crap”, without adding any additional information or explanation can be confusing.

My understanding is the downmix can be performed on auto as you describe, but it can also be manually directed by the mixing engineer.
I think the mixing engineer has little to none control of the “exported” 5.1/7.1 substreams from the Master Atmos mix to the TrueHD file. The only control would be to “adapt” the original Atmos mix to find a compromise that could be sound not bad in the 5.1 substream. Something similar they do when they try to export to the “binaural stereo Atmos” for Headphones. Some good things that work OK for Full Atmos Speakers cannot work well in “virtualized binaural stereo”.

And it is possible (and indeed demonstrated with Dark Side of the Moon Atmos test tones) to have sounds come out in different places between the True HD stream and the Atmos render to a 5.0 system like mine.

Can you elaborate that? How do you play and what different places you get?
What your AVR show: AC3 or TrueHD?

I’ve been digging into that BD and found that the Dolby TrueHD Atmos “track” has an additional AC3 5.1 lossy stream (not exactly the TrueHD substream MLP lossless coded), that can be extracted using MKVToolNix.

That 5.1 AC3 file test tones plays like this:

5.1 channels as it should be
Rear Surrounds --> Side Surrounds
Left Top Front --> L, C, SL, SR(low volume)
Right Top Front --> R, C, SL(low volume), SR
Left Top Rear --> SL, SR (low volume)
Right Top Rear --> SL (low volume), SR

The automatic downmix on Dark Side of the Moon is not good, like the Atmos test tones there's a lot of wishy washy "in the middle" going on. The positioning is much more precise on my 5.0 system when I tell it to play the Atmos, so I'm getting a local render to 5.0 rather than the substream/bed whatever it is on the disc.

Can you elaborate that?

How do you play “Atmos” in your 5.0 system differently than when you get the substream? What system? What Options? What Your AVR display as signal?

Last edited:
Can you elaborate that? How do you play and what different places you get?
What your AVR show: AC3 or TrueHD?
My Arcam AVR31 shows "True HD 3/4.1" when playing without Atmos, and "Atmos" when playing that.
I’ve been digging into that BD and found that the Dolby TrueHD Atmos “track” has an additional AC3 5.1 lossless stream (not exactly the TrueHD substream MLP lossless coded), that can be extracted using MKVToolNix.
AC3 is never lossless, it is inherently a lossy codec. I haven't played it so I'm not going to comment on how it sounds.
How do you play “Atmos” in your 5.0 system differently than when you get the substream? What system? What Options? What Your AVR display as signal?
Audio is over HDMI from Oppo 203 to Arcam AVR31. If I select Dolby True HD I get the 7.1 substream, this is normally what you'd do to play Atmos on a system with no height speakers. But if I go round the Mode selection button and ask it to do Dolby Surround, the AVR notices and suddenly displays "Atmos".

If I play the test tones in True HD vs Atmos, which speakers some of them come out of changes substantially. In particular some that should be in the rears come out of the fronts in True HD and many of them come out of three or four speakers. In Atmos they all come out exactly where I would expect on a 5.0 system. I posted in much more detail months ago on one of the discussion threads for DSOTM 50th blu ray, and I can't remember the details now.

If I play the test tones in True HD vs Atmos, which speakers some of them come out of changes substantially.
Is this the tones specifically on the DSOTM disc? I seem to remember seeing posts about different results, depending on different receivers.

The tones on the DSOTM Blu-Ray produce strange results unlike any other Atmos test tones I’ve encountered.
Is the discs the same on the stand-alone as well as the box, do you know?

Is this the tones specifically on the DSOTM disc? I seem to remember seeing posts about different results, depending on different receivers.
Yes this is the Atmos tones on the disc. And when played as True HD the results should never differ on different receivers since it is just channels direct to speakers. I got the feeling during that discussion that people were perceiving what was playing differently, not that it was actually different.

Back