Barclay James Harvest and Other Short Stories (New Reissue with 5.1 surround DVD!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My copy arrived from Bull Moose about 20 minutes ago! Listening now and my immediate reaction, four songs in, is that this may turn out to be the very best of the BJH mixes. Center vocals still sound a tad loud, but it's much more balanced all around. VERY discrete so far - vocals, guitar solos, and orchestration have all popped up in rear speakers at various points!

Just finished the whole thing and this one is a winner, IMHO. For those who are wondering if they have "nailed" a BJH 5.1 mix, I think this is the one where it finally happened. Definitely more adventurous and discrete than the prior mixes, and like I said in my previous post, the center vocals -while still slightly "hot" for my tastes - are way more balanced in terms of contrast with other instrumentation. I particularly like how the strings sound on this one. The transition from "The Poet" to "After the Day" is fantastic.

Anyone else listened yet?

Just finished the whole thing and this one is a winner, IMHO. For those who are wondering if they have "nailed" a BJH 5.1 mix, I think this is the one where it finally happened. Definitely more adventurous and discrete than the prior mixes, and like I said in my previous post, the center vocals -while still slightly "hot" for my tastes - are way more balanced in terms of contrast with other instrumentation. I particularly like how the strings sound on this one. The transition from "The Poet" to "After the Day" is fantastic.

Mine just showed up from DD and will get played tonight!

Did Craig Fletcher (who I think did all the other 5.1s) do the 5.1 mix on this one as well?

(And also did he do the 5.1 mix on the self-titled album? Asking for a friend.)

Yes. I totally agree with you. It’s much more an adventurous mix than the previous ones.

Back