Beatles "Hard Days Night" on Critierion DVD/BluRay with Giles Martin 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
711_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

IT'S HAPPENING!!!

June 24th!!

3-disc release from Criterion (1 Blu-Ray & 2 DVDs)

Details:
DIRECTOR-APPROVED EDITION:

New 4K digital film restoration, approved by director Richard Lester, with two audio options—a monaural soundtrack and a new 5.1 surround soundtrack made by Apple Records—presented in uncompressed monaural and DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary featuring various members of the film’s cast and crew (dual-format only)
In Their Own Voices, a new piece combining interviews with the Beatles from 1964 with behind-the-scenes footage and photos
You Can’t Do That: The Making of “A Hard Day’s Night,” a 1994 documentary program by producer Walter Shenson
Things They Said Today, a 2002 documentary about the film featuring Lester, music producer George Martin, writer Alun Owen, cinematographer Gilbert Taylor, and others (dual-format only)
New piece about Lester’s early work, featuring a new audio interview with the director (dual-format only)
The Running Jumping and Standing Still Film(1959), Lester’s Oscar-nominated short featuring Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan (dual-format only)
Anatomy of a Style, a new piece on Lester’s approach to editing (dual-format only)
New interview with Mark Lewisohn, author of Tune In: The Beatles: All These Years—Volume One (dual-format only)
Deleted scene (dual-format only)
Trailers
PLUS: An essay by critic Howard Hampton
More!

New cover by Rodrigo Corral

http://www.criterion.com/films/28547-a-hard-day-s-night

Another Criterion rip-off. If you want Blu-ray you have to take a 3 disk set, but if DVD is all you want you can get 1 disk for half the price. Blu-ray not available by itself. I'll pass.

Another Criterion rip-off. If you want Blu-ray you have to take a 3 disk set, but if DVD is all you want you can get 1 disk for half the price. Blu-ray not available by itself. I'll pass.

I don't understand how it's a rip-off…
They use to sell the Blu-Ray only for the same price as they are now selling these Blu-Ray/DVD sets…
Plus if you wait until July, there's a good chance you could buy this title for 50% off as Barnes & Noble usually does a 50% sale on all Criterion titles in-store and online, all month long.

I think this is a great set! Not only do you get a new 5.1-channel Apple-produced soundtrack but also an option to hear the original (restored) mono soundtrack. The 5.1-channel audio track is DTS-MA HD while the original mono audio is LPCM, so both the new 5.1-channel soundtrack and the restored mono soundtrack are lossless.

Let the griping about the aspect ratio begin, but I'm looking forward to this release. It's great that "You Can't Do That: The Making of..." is being included (and hopefully remixed into 5.1-channel audio, as well). Hopefully this is the full original version of YCDT and not the shortened version that appeared later on.

For those who may not want to purchase the Blu-Ray, it is rumored that the restored AHDN will be shown in select movie theaters during a limited run in mid-June (probably a week before the Blu-Ray release). Very similar to the way the MMT Blu-Ray was handled.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I was told by Criterion that the mono is LPCM. The DVD has only Dolby Digital for both.

Interesting. I suppose one channel can be encoded pretty close to the bit rate DTS-HD MA would use. I'll correct my recent append.

Strange that the DVD only has Dolby but that falls within the spec. I guess they traded adding extra video programs versus adding a DTS track.

The sticker on the front cover indicates that it's the "Dual-Format Edition". I wonder if that means there will be a single disc version available without the DVD.:)
No, but strange as it may seem there is a separate DVD version. I would guess this is a worldwide release though, so maybe a single disk Blu-ray will be available from overseas.

I went ahead and pre-ordered a copy off of Amazon. I was afraid they would run out and I wouldn't see any more stock for purchase.:yikes

btw, I own the DVD version. It's still sealed and I never did purchase the last BD version.

Back