Best Version of Steely Dan's Aja

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll copy my post from the SH forum:

I agree with your assessment that the new remaster lacks a bit of midrange. I also find it lacks a bit of bass impact -compared with SH's mastering which remains my top favourite.
However this BG mastering might be my second favourite though. It sounds huuuge, and extremely transparent. The analog transfer and the quality of the tape/ mix are astounding.
The tonality is just a bit bright and sometimes, but rarely, even slightly harsh. I still think it retains the toe-tapping factor the SH CD has.

This hopefully means that the mastering of Pretzel Logic was just a fluke.

My 1st copy of Aja was a MoFi prerecorded cassette (got the CD and MoFi CD also), I don't have a way to A/B them though.

One issue inspired by this thread - I would like a new logo for audio re-releases [physical media, downloads, streaming] (could be applied to music videos and concert videos too):
"Unaltered, Restored Only" meaning only EQ needed to restore analog master tapes (generally a small treble boost on the order of 1 to 2 dB) has been used.

Raising the volume of the bass and/or treble and/or lowering the volume of the upper midrange wouldn't be done, neither would reducing the dynamic range and/or using peak unlimiting or converting the stereo L+R and L-R, boosting the volume of L-R then converting back to stereo (results in a more spacious sound quality).

Kirk Bayne

I purchased the mobile Fidelity gold Ultra disc decades ago that is my favorite. It isn't the best I wish that the entire Steely Dan catalog was mixed in 5.1 like Gaucho was. That DVD audio sounds amazing just like Fagan's nightfly. Of course we are talking about the seventies so why hasn't Rhino jumped on board with a quadraphonic set that is my question.
Instead of a white Christmas I'm dreaming of that quad set from rhino for Steely Dan.

I purchased the mobile Fidelity gold Ultra disc decades ago that is my favorite. It isn't the best I wish that the entire Steely Dan catalog was mixed in 5.1 like Gaucho was. That DVD audio sounds amazing just like Fagan's nightfly. Of course we are talking about the seventies so why hasn't Rhino jumped on board with a quadraphonic set that is my question.
Instead of a white Christmas I'm dreaming of that quad set from rhino for Steely Dan.
I've heard conflicting info about whether the original masters are accessible/exist, needed for discrete surround mixes. If those albums were mixed in quad, then having the masters of those mixes would also be necessary and it's questionable they even exist. My understanding of the lore behind Steely Dan's music is that much of the originals are either gone/missing/stolen or locked away in some legal manner.

I've heard conflicting info about whether the original masters are accessible/exist, needed for discrete surround mixes. If those albums were mixed in quad, then having the masters of those mixes would also be necessary and it's questionable they even exist. My understanding of the lore behind Steely Dan's music is that much of the originals are either gone/missing/stolen or locked away in some legal manner.
We may never know; I think we won't.
I suspect one of the dynamic duo didn't care, and neither did the other one.
A shame.

H
We may never know; I think we won't.
I suspect one of the dynamic duo didn't care, and neither did the other one.
A shame.
Hmm? I’m not quite sure that statement holds true? As they offered a reward, if any information lead to finding out where the missing masters are,as they did want a 5.1 mix of Aja!

H

Hmm? I’m not quite sure that statement holds true? As they offered a reward, if any information lead to finding out where the missing masters are,as they did want a 5.1 mix of Aja!
Well, that is at least encouraging. I never could understand why the whole Steely Dan catalog could not be remixed in surround. All the existing Dan and Fagen 5.1 mixes I have sound incredible.

H

lol. That is what I understand. But with two guys as eccentric as them I wonder. Or maybe an audio engineer ripped them off...would have had to be someone with access obviously. In any event my understanding is the Aja tracks have not surfaced in all these years so probably a moot point.
Is a real shame, that's for sure!

Well, that is at least encouraging. I never could understand why the whole Steely Dan catalog could not be remixed in surround. All the existing Dan and Fagen 5.1 mixes I have sound incredible.
I’ve read that it has lot’s to do with their “parent” company Universal music group? The big question is why!

Back