Bill Nelson’s Red Noise: Art/Empire/Industry – The Complete Red Noise Box Set (5.1 surround mix of "Sound on Sound")

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to have one of those noisey discs the disc plays. It's just you hear the 'vibration' during play in the quiet bits
I hope our machines are not being wrecked in some way. Screws vibrating lose, well, not really that, but something... :confused:

I have a Cambridge Audio player. While my DVDs play, the machine vibrates, making a strange buzzing sound, which quietens if I press the sides of the machine, but I can hardly remain there doing that. Is this the problem you're referring to? (I have not sighted your earlier posts.) I had wondered if my machine was seeing the end of its days, until I spotted your post just now, and so have double checked, and yes, other DVDs I play are all buzz-free. So it's these two Red Noise discs only. A rather weird thing.

Would you mind letting me know if you have any updates, such as news of replacement discs? Which I figure will be unlikely. :( Thankfully, this is a noisy album musically. so I don't hear the buzzing while playing the music. One of the other DVDs I tested, for example, was Giancarlo Era's lovely Departure Tapes - if the buzzing had been present with that one, it would have been very annoying indeed.
Yes it was buzzing noise , very loud, and on both DVD's in the set , at this point I have returned the 2 faulty boxes ( I have a Record Shop so had ordered 4 for stock) they will credit me and I will order another and hopefully the next one will be fine!

I have a Cambridge Audio player. While my DVDs play, the machine vibrates, making a strange buzzing sound, which quietens if I press the sides of the machine, but I can hardly remain there doing that. Is this the problem you're referring to? (I have not sighted your earlier posts.) I had wondered if my machine was seeing the end of its days, until I spotted your post just now, and so have double checked, and yes, other DVDs I play are all buzz-free. So it's these two Red Noise discs only. A rather weird thing.

Would you mind letting me know if you have any updates, such as news of replacement discs? Which I figure will be unlikely. :( Thankfully, this is a noisy album musically. so I don't hear the buzzing while playing the music. One of the other DVDs I tested, for example, was Giancarlo Era's lovely Departure Tapes - if the buzzing had been present with that one, it would have been very annoying indeed.
This is the exact problem I am experiencing with my OPPO 105D and these two dvds. I thought my player had packed it in at first with the buzzing rattling sound. Like you I checked other discs and everything else plays fine. I have yet to hear from Cherry Red, but I think I will return this package to Amazon and hope the replacement is OK.

I had ordered from ImportCDs (which shipped late August), but just got around to checking the DVDs, and they have the same problem described here. It's no longer listed on their site, so a replacement is not an option. I'll contact Cherry Red to see if they can help, and will otherwise keep an eye on this thread for any updates on replacement options.

Yes it was buzzing noise , very loud, and on both DVD's in the set , at this point I have returned the 2 faulty boxes ( I have a Record Shop so had ordered 4 for stock) they will credit me and I will order another and hopefully the next one will be fine!
Please keep us posted on your outcome. I wrote to the Cherry Red mail-order email address (the only relevant one I could find on their site), even though I did not purchase through them. (If you have an alternate email address that you can share, that would be appreciated.)

Please keep us posted on your outcome. I wrote to the Cherry Red mail-order email address (the only relevant one I could find on their site), even though I did not purchase through them. (If you have an alternate email address that you can share, that would be appreciated.)
It would be appreciated if you could keep us posted on what Cherry Red has to say. Thanks.

Glad I held off on this. This is a new one; it seems as if the problem is with the physical disc itself, and not with what's on the disc. Anxious to see what the exact problem is.

Quick update: no reply from Cherry Red yet. I just sent the same email to the address I found for Esoteric Recordings ([email protected]); let's see if they get back to me.
Just heard back from Esoteric:
I've contacted cherry reds production manager to ask him - I've not had any other emails about it but will check our copies out- definitely didn't have an issue when it went to production.
Will continue to post updates here...

My discs seemed OK initially but upon further playing, they’re a problem.
On my Denon universal it’s horrifying.
A friend tried two sets, both duds the 2nd one went back for credit, I plan to do the same.
Too bad, it’s a nice package and a good album (I played the CD).
I’d be fine keeping the set if replacement discs were available, but Cherry Red’s silence is worrisome so with a 30 day return window I can’t afford to wait.

Last edited:
This is the response I got from cherry red:

Thank you for your e-mail. Sorry to hear this.

We will order another copy, check and send replacements (along with returns for the faulty ones).

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Cherry Red Records

The e-mail I used was mailorder@cherry red.com as I ordered direct from them.

Finally just played my copy received from Import CD's with no issue on my Sony x800M2. Hopefully will have the same result on my older Oppo 95. Not being an expert on manufacturing, but can't help but wonder if the center whole is slightly off on some copies - or if the edge is simply not perfectly smooth. BTW, this is a fantastic 5.1 mix, and sound quality is top notch. Is there a list on this site for multi-channel mixes by audio engineer? Certainly want to be collecting Tayler's mixes!

Finally just played my copy received from Import CD's with no issue on my Sony x800M2. Hopefully will have the same result on my older Oppo 95. Not being an expert on manufacturing, but can't help but wonder if the center whole is slightly off on some copies - or if the edge is simply not perfectly smooth. BTW, this is a fantastic 5.1 mix, and sound quality is top notch. Is there a list on this site for multi-channel mixes by audio engineer? Certainly want to be collecting Tayler's mixes!
Someone raised the same question (perhaps in this very stream) and was directed to something -- maybe the Sound Engineers list right at the top.

At any rate, make sure you get the VDGG ones, you can even get them separately, not just in the big box set (as mind blowing as that is). And the new Marillion Holidays in Eden is meant to be excellent as well (yet to play mine).

Addl: Oh and, of course there's also SWT's own solo album. A grower that therefore sticks around. :)

[Just noticed this is my 200th comment and I've been promoted to a 'senior member'. :giggle:]

Last edited:
I've just spent part of this morning going over this reported issue.

I have 2 players that can play DVD's:

A Sony X800M2
And a Cambridge Audio Azur 752BD

There is a slight hum when the DVD's are played in either player, with the Marantz AVR on mute.
I tried various other DVD's with no issue in playback.

I would never have known about this, as when the music is played, I cannot hear the hum.

I do not think my problem is anything like what is being reported and as it hasn't affected my enjoyment, I will keep this copy.

I hope everybody else gets their issue sorted promptly.

PS: Once I've ripped the DVD's, the physical discs will join the ever-increasing library!! And gather dust for all eternity. :)

Update: I've just ripped the DVD in my PC's DVD player and what a racket!! I thought it was going to break the PC!!

This copy is going back....grrr

Last edited:
My discs seemed OK initially but upon further playing, they’re a problem.
On my Denon universal it’s horrifying.
A friend tried two sets, both duds the 2nd one went back for credit, I plan to do the same.
Too bad, it’s a nice package and a good album (I played the CD).
I’d be fine keeping the set if replacement discs were available, but Cherry Red’s silence is worrisome so with a 30 day return window I can’t afford to wait.
I should point out that while Cherry Red has been quiet, I eventually contacted Esoteric directly (should have done that in the first place) and they have been very responsive, acknowledging the problem and they seem to be working towards a resolution with the disc manufacturer.

Back