Bob James - ONE 5.1 SACD [Not Surround]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if I hit the audio track selector button it says not an allowed function, it says stereo on screen, only 2 Vu meters light up, It came from Evo...

I looked for another disc in the case, NO DICE.:(

My amazon delivery is due shortly, so I looked on Discogs and it says Stereo, so its plain old 2 channel then :mad: the ******* evo88 & amazon.co.uk site still both say multi-channel :sick::mad::cry:

Discogs does have 1974 as the correct release date if you look at an LP - so irritatingly it would have been recorded on a multi-track :(

I'll be happy to have this in stereo, as I'm just starting my Bob James collection, but I am feeling let down by the incorrect description—or, perhaps worse, the manufacturing error? 🤔

Maybe we should use a QQ power and demand a birth certificate with every release:

* disc format
* sound codec incl. resolution
* number of channels incl. silent LFE
* sound engineer
* year of completion of the mix

Promotion for the Loreena McKennitt disc is almost a perfect example how to do things right.

Last edited:
My copy just arrived yesterday. It has a silver "Hybrid Stereo" sticker on the front :( I was so looking forward to some Bob James in Surround Sound.

I just eMailed EVO88 about this problem with my order, pointing out their Web Site still specifies:

evosound is remastering the album using hi-resolution digital transfers from the original analogue master tapes and will be manufactured as a hybrid SACD. The hybrid SACD plays on both SACD and regular CD players. The SACD has a multi-track mix in 5.1 sound which provides the ultimate sound quality experience.

Hopefully I will get the Multi-Channel SACD (if it really exists), or my monies back.

Last edited:
Mine has just arrived, I tried scanning the front to show the Hybrid-SACD STEREO label, but it hasn't come out. The back of the disc does state only Stereo :sick:
So do I send it back to amazon and say not as advertised, or as it was 'only' £22.99 do I keep it? I don't know any Bob James stuff, but I like mid-70s jazz-funk.

CCF_000498.jpg

Oof. I ordered this--from ImportCDs, the one retailer who got it right, apparently--only because of the advertised surround mix. (Okay: and because of some of the personnel on the album, and because it's historically important. But I'm not that fond of the music.)

On its way to me now. Unfortunately ImportCDs will not refund shipping costs, or pay for return shipping costs, unless the merchandise is damaged, defective, or "incorrectly shipped."

I would happily forward this, unopened, at cost, to any Bob James fan here...

Last edited:
Thank you all for the heads-up on this being stereo only! I don't need this in stereo as I already own the CD and vinyl.

I was wondering why my order was still not showing as shipped from Amazon yet since I pre-ordered, but now I'm happy I have a chance to cancel it before it ships.

So do I send it back to amazon and say not as advertised, or as it was 'only' £22.99 do I keep it? I don't know any Bob James stuff, but I like mid-70s jazz-funk.

View attachment 69551

This does have some funky grooves on it, though Bob James albums often straddle the line between funk and easy listening, so that's something to consider. If you don't have the album already, you might consider keeping it. I would at least check out the song "Nautilus" online on before returning it, since that is one of the standout tracks. "Valley of Shadows" is also good.

Personally, I cancelled my order, since I already own this album in a couple of formats, but I was debating keeping the order just because the last Bob James album that came out on SACD does go for some decent money on the second hand market: (Bob James – In Hi-Fi (2003, SACD)). In theory, you could probably make your money back eventually by reselling it if you regret keeping it.

So sorry for putting this one on the list!
My guess is they probably cannibalized Mr. Big promo blurb and forgot to erase the 5.1 part.
https://www.discogs.com/Bob-James-One-/release/19515301

you didn't do anything wrong!
it is sloppy on the label's part and the few vendors who regurgitated the labels' balls up 😔 i won't be buying anymore of their SACDs before they're actually released.

edit: Mr. Big & Bob James just turned up from Amazon. Bob James = Stereo only 😭

This does have some funky grooves on it, though Bob James albums often straddle the line between funk and easy listening, so that's something to consider. If you don't have the album already, you might consider keeping it. I would at least check out the song "Nautilus" online on before returning it, since that is one of the standout tracks. "Valley of Shadows" is also good.

Personally, I cancelled my order, since I already own this album in a couple of formats, but I was debating keeping the order just because the last Bob James album that came out on SACD does go for some decent money on the second hand market: (Bob James – In Hi-Fi (2003, SACD)). In theory, you could probably make your money back eventually by reselling it if you regret keeping it.
Thanks for that. I've had a listen to some youtube videos and see what you mean about heading towards 'easy listening'! its very well done, love the Fender Rhodes piano, "Nautilus" is excellent, "Feel Like Making Love" way more MOR/easy listening (dare I say it lift music in spots!), his version of Mussorgsky's "Night On Bare Mountain" is interesting. I actually think from what I've heard it would have made a good Quad/surround album. So :unsure: I think I won't unseal it yet, but find a few more tracks to listen to on line, I suspect I'll keep it, but it is galling when even the Record Company gets it's release info wrong! If I send it back to amazon as 'not as advertised' would that get back to evosound?

EVOSOUND also released Bob James' EXPRESSO and JOINED AT THE HIP featuring Kirk Whalum on Stereo SACD.

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=13543
https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=14065
And Bob James/David Sanborn DOUBLE VISION [24K Gold MQA encoded CD]

BTW, ALL sound superbly AUDIOPHILE!

edit: Sure I'm miffed ONE isn't 5.1, as advertised, but for under $20 nice to have another classic CTI album on hi res Stereo SACD!

Last edited:
Back