Bob Marley "Legend" 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sucks, I heard two different manufacturers made this model for Pioneer, perhaps I had one and you had the other. :)

I wanted the Oppo but for $149 I'd have been an idiot to pass this up. Plays everything I throw at it including burned DVDs and Blu-rays, works great with videos and hi-rez music streaming off an external HDD including surround sound flacs, no complaints at all.

Should this one go belly up I'd take it to a recycling centre that handles electronics and pick up an Oppo, but so far there's nothing the Oppo would have done for me that this one doesn't at 1/3rd the price.

Well, I'd like to congratulate the idiot that authored this disc on making a nice useless piece of plastic. Sure would be nice if you could learn how to author a disc that will fucking play. Clearning the persistent storage does nothing. How is it in this day and age people still haven't figured out how to fucking author a disc with basic consistency so it will just fucking play? I'm sick and tired of this bullshit, I don't fucking care about the bells and whistles, the fancy menus....if this disc can't fucking play, what use is it to me? Just make a disc that fucking plays, for crying out loud.

Is over $50 AU at my local store. Not a chance, especially when I'm only interested in the 5.1.
I'll wait, fingers crossed it'll get a separate release eventually.

Your post is a little old now so you might have gotten the disc, but I got mine off Amazon UK (although the seller was from Canada and the disc shipped from somewhere in Europe) for about $33 including shipping to Aus.

Your post is a little old now so you might have gotten the disc, but I got mine off Amazon UK (although the seller was from Canada and the disc shipped from somewhere in Europe) for about $33 including shipping to Aus.

$50 is too expensive but on the other hand this one may well be the Best Surround Release of 2014, if not certainly in the top two or three and 2014 was an outstanding year for QQ'ers!

Z
Well, I'd like to congratulate the idiot that authored this disc on making a nice useless piece of plastic. Sure would be nice if you could learn how to author a disc that will fucking play. Clearning the persistent storage does nothing. How is it in this day and age people still haven't figured out how to fucking author a disc with basic consistency so it will just fucking play? I'm sick and tired of this bullshit, I don't fucking care about the bells and whistles, the fancy menus....if this disc can't fucking play, what use is it to me? Just make a disc that fucking plays, for crying out loud.

Language much?
Also it plays like a breeze for me.
The "Quadrophenia" disc is authored the same way so does that one also give you problems?

Are we still talking about Bob Marley? Plays fine here too with no difficulty whatsoever. Seems like its a pretty simple design Actually; straight up menu.

From QQ HQ

Some players may play it fine, but some don't. And I see on this thread, I'm not the only one that has this problem, it gets stuck loading. I'll have to rip flac files to get anywhere with it. Just really bugs me that we can't get any simple standards in the industry. I would think the primary priority in authoring a disc would be that it play in all players, and I would expect that much should be simple enough. However, time and time again, that seems to not be the case, when it comes to blu ray, it seems like every new purchase is a gamble.

I have an Oppo 103D and I've never had a problem loading a disc...including Legend...my old Panasonic will load Legend with no problem..

Same here, my Oppo handles it fine. I can appreciate some who have troubles with some titles..... (soapbox is coming...) All troubles I ever had with any discs ceased when I got an Oppo. That's a fact. Though, might just be random luck. lol

My player is not currently connected to the internet, and I disabled all network settings, but still this disc will not play on the oppo. The only option I have left is updating the firmware, which I refuse to do, since I do not want to downgrade the player and lose iso playback capabilities.

My Oppo 93 wouldn't play it. Had to rip it and put it on the hard drive to get it to play. I have to agree that the whole blu-ray problem of constantly needing firmware updates to support new discs is a pain in the ass. Seems all in the name of copy protection which never works in the long run. It's why I buy a dvd-a whenever there's a choice and when my wife wanted me to get Xmas Vacation this year, I just bought the dvd. The higher (video) quality of a br is not worth it to me.

But this Bob Marley disc was well worth doing what was needed to hear it. Great disc!

K

The last ISO capable firmware was 3 years ago on 12/19/2011; relatively ancient in Blu-ray years. I was holding onto the ISO version too, but finely gave in about 6 months ago. My oppo plays it fine.

The last ISO capable firmware was 3 years ago on 12/19/2011; relatively ancient in Blu-ray years. I was holding onto the ISO version too, but finely gave in about 6 months ago. My oppo plays it fine.

That's the price you pay..unfortunately...most people I know that have chosen to not update their Oppo have more than 1 player for cases like that...it has been poorly handled from day 1 in the blu ray format...ever since companies realized they could update their products later and rush them to the marketplace without proper beta testing they have become lazy and the customer has become the beta tester...there wasn't enough communication in the beginning of the blu ray format on how these things should have been done...just think "back in the day" if someone would have told you about firmware changes to your tv or other electronic device...you would have thought they were crazy...now it's a way of life..screw the product up and all is not lost...just issue a firmware update later after the consumer buys it...firmware updates can be used for good things..but it is also used to compensate for lazy product development..

My player is not currently connected to the internet, and I disabled all network settings, but still this disc will not play on the oppo. The only option I have left is updating the firmware, which I refuse to do, since I do not want to downgrade the player and lose iso playback capabilities.

Yes, that is the only option. Firmware updates that fix compatibility with certain discs need to be applied to have compatibility with those discs. It is truly unfortunate when those updates also contain compliance with industry desires that require the removal of features.

Back