Can one rip Atmos discs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of points, I always like to embed the artwork into each individual file, why not? I don't care about the data duplication. That way when you make a playlist from multiple albums and each track will (should) play with the proper artwork. Most file formats allow the embedding of the artwork.
I must admit, I quite like putting different images within individual .m4a files for playback on my mobile phone.

Streaming doesn't work gaplessly unless the album is done as a single file with cue sheet. As well the BDP-103 worked far better streaming than the older BDP-95 which is fraught with many problems. It is even described as an experimental feature in the BDP-95 manual!
With regard to gapless playback of separate files using an OPPO, I seem to remember having more success with the UDP-203 rather than the BDP-103. All files were accessed via SMB file shares or via an USB connected HDD.

But MKV tags easily too? Do ya mean there's more software support for MP4 tags, @HomerJAU?

I missed this post.

I meant there is less player support for Matroska tags (MKV and mka). MP4 and M4A tagging is well supported and is a simpler system to implement (both reading and writing).

That helps to explain why the displaying of album art is so wonky via the Opps. Ideally the art should be displayed from the tag information of each track!

I prefer to rip everything to individual tracks which cause problems with gapless playback. I see the single file with cue sheet as a work around.

Does anyone else have the problem of the art "folder" file being turned into a hidden file? A work around for that would be to call it something else like "cover" but I don't want no hidden files added anywhere!
I’ve found that every time I use Windows Media Player, I get about five hidden files in every folder containig a music file in my “Music” folders. They aren’t all that difficult to get rid of using the search function, but yeah, it’s a pain.

I haven’t found a setting to make that stop, but if anyone has, I’m interested.

For that reason, I never use WMP any more, and I never listen to music from my PC for entertainment or relaxation. If I want to listen to local files, I either use my Oppo or my Roku playing from my NAS.

@HomerJAU Is there a way to extract audio stream from single mkv into single mka or m4a with MMH? Seems it it will always be split.... I just noticed there's a workaround by selecting multiple mkv files (min 2) to get an extra dialog to select split yes/no but would be more comfortable to have this option also when selecting a single mkv only.

Last edited:
@HomerJAU Is there a way to extract audio stream from single mkv into single mka or m4a with MMH? Seems it it will always be split.... I just noticed there's a workaround by selecting multiple mkv files (min 2) to get an extra dialog to select split yes/no but would be more comfortable to have this option also when selecting a single mkv only.
If the .mkv file does not have any chapters in it, MMH can create a single .m4a file from it. The other mkv tool (not in front of computer right now) mkvtool can be used to remove chapters from an .mkv file.

Back