Carole King 'Music' on QS LP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ress4278

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
This is one wonky recording. It's the QS, (or is it RM) version. I tried reversing F-B, rear L-R , balance , etc, and her voice still sounds off. Is the SQ version any better?

Excuse my silly question, but what does "RM" stand for? (I saw it in many posts)

The US and Japanese versions of MUSIC are QS Encoded. There is also a Q8. However, the Carole King quads have never been known for being surround spectaculars. "Rhymes & Reasons" is an album that I used to play a lot when it came out, and I was thrilled (back in the '70s) to get a Q8 of it. However, listening to that Q8, even today and "seeing" the wav files on my PC, is very depressing. It's just about a stereo echo job. Every time I try to get up for doing a DVD-A of it for the car, I bail because it just does not seem to be worth it. As I recall, only "Fantasy" has a decent surround mix, and that would be my least favorite of her quad titles.

However, the Carole King quads have never been known for being surround spectaculars.

I have to say though, that the multichannel Tapestry SACD is very good. I am not a huge fan, but it is a fun surround mix to listen to ... while I anxiously await my Paranoid SACD to arrive.

I agree with Quadzilla - CBS (excuse me, Sony) did a really nice job on the mixes on all their vintage titles (I thought). Tapestry is a great mix.

But I never knew there was a QS version of Music!? I thought they were all SQ. (Although since Blue Thumb issued its stuff in RM, I guess it makes sense, and it's never explicitly stated on the cover of the first press.)

Bin-diving over the holidays, I picked up a copy of "Carole King - Music" that has a Ode Quadraphonic logo in the lower RH corner of the jacket (hard to see if you're flipping through a bin). The number on the jacket is QU 88013, and the trailout vinyl reads (side one): ODE QU 88025-M2-EX / (delta)16669 (2); (side two): ODE QU 88026-M1 / (delta)16669X (2). The vinyl looks a bit like the A&M matrix quad pressings in that it has a little "depth" to it. No indication as to which matrix system was used.

This still needs cleaned, so I haven't listened to it yet.

I already had a standard stereo pressing of Music in my collection... the number on the jacket is SP 77013 and in the trailout vinyl the numbers are SP 77025 and SP 77026. This is a very normal looking pressing without much "depth" to it. An interesting note is that, inside the gatefold, it says "Also available in quadraphonic SQ 88013"

Both of these are U.S. pressings.

So, I am guessing that not all copies of "Music" are matrix quad encoded, and that the matrix used on the quad pressings may be SQ. Opinions?

Mark Z

Carole King Music and Tommy were the only ODE US released quad LPs, both were QS, and both had stereo counterparts. There was never an ODE SQ LP released in the US (or anywhere else). Remember that their distribution parent A&M started out quad with a QS LP, then went to SQ, then ended with CD-4.

An interesting thing to find is if you read the liner notes of one of the Carpenters quad LPs, I think it's the HITS disc, there is verbiage in there about Karen and Richard listening to the quad LP of MUSIC and getting all fired up about releasing their LPs in quad. I'll have to look for that.....

OK. I was wrong. I dug out my Carole King Japanese LPs and looked at MUSIC. It's clearly marked as QS and not RM. Even on the OBI, there is no RM logo.

For those interested, here is a scan of the Japanese LP label. Note the shared A&M and ODE logos! I also included a scan of the sticker proclaiming it's QS. (NOTE: Both the Japanese "Tapestry" and "Fantasy" LPs are CD-4!!!)

Attachments

• CK Music Japanese LP Side 2 Label.jpg
    CK Music Japanese LP Side 2 Label.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 357
  • CK Music Japanese LP Logo.jpg
    CK Music Japanese LP Logo.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 251
Bin-diving over the holidays, I picked up a copy of "Carole King - Music" that has a Ode Quadraphonic logo in the lower RH corner of the jacket (hard to see if you're flipping through a bin). The number on the jacket is QU 88013, and the trailout vinyl reads (side one): ODE QU 88025-M2-EX / (delta)16669 (2); (side two): ODE QU 88026-M1 / (delta)16669X (2). The vinyl looks a bit like the A&M matrix quad pressings in that it has a little "depth" to it. No indication as to which matrix system was used.

I already had a standard stereo pressing of Music in my collection... the number on the jacket is SP 77013 and in the trailout vinyl the numbers are SP 77025 and SP 77026. This is a very normal looking pressing without much "depth" to it. An interesting note is that, inside the gatefold, it says "Also available in quadraphonic SQ 88013"

So, I am guessing that not all copies of "Music" are matrix quad encoded, and that the matrix used on the quad pressings may be SQ. Opinions?

Mark Z

All of A&M's quad offerings were also available in stereo as well, Mark. Ode's two quad offerings in the US were QS, including "Music". The inner sleeve alludes to that. A&M distributed those two albums (the other being an all-star version of "Tommy") for Ode. A&M released one LP in QS, Joan Baez's "Come From the Shadows", and had announced three others, but shifted gears and went SQ. The announced QS releases were never issued in quad in any format, although the masters did exist.

Mark Z

All of A&M's quad offerings were also available in stereo as well, Mark. Ode's two quad offerings in the US were QS, including "Music". The inner sleeve alludes to that. A&M distributed those two albums (the other being an all-star version of "Tommy") for Ode. A&M released one LP in QS, Joan Baez's "Come From the Shadows", and had announced three others, but shifted gears and went SQ. The announced QS releases were never issued in quad in any format, although the masters did exist.

OK. I was wrong. I dug out my Carole King Japanese LPs and looked at MUSIC. It's clearly marked as QS and not RM. Even on the OBI, there is no RM logo.

For those interested, here is a scan of the Japanese LP label. Note the shared A&M and ODE logos! I also included a scan of the sticker proclaiming it's QS. (NOTE: Both the Japanese "Tapestry" and "Fantasy" LPs are CD-4!!!)

My bad. It's a great quad mix. If you don't have a QS decoder, or the Surround Master, use Pro Logic II. As for the NZ pressing not mentioning QS, check the inner sleeve. The American pressing had a diagram of how the different parts were placed in the mix, and says that the effect will be enhanced through a Sansui decoder. That means QS.

Back