Changing DVD-A Groups in the Newer Acura ELS Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I was going nuts trying to figure out how to change groups on a DVD-A playback in the ELS system in my 2011 TSX. I tried (what I thought was) every combination that made sense, and nothing.

Well, a TSX forum member over at Acurazine was a bit more tenacious than I was, and he figured it out! Here's the deal:

With the DVD-A in the machine, press Preset '6' for two seconds, and presto! That's it!

Maybe that will work in my 2009 TL...you used to hold two buttons down in my 2004 TL but that didn't work in the 2009.

I'd forgotten there were extra groups! Thanks for the tip!

Holy shit....I was going to ask how do I get to the bonus tracks on Soft Parade....Is this how I do it?

That 6 thing didn't work for me. I sent a email to Panasonic/ELS website, let's see if they answer.

bobou,

Try this.

Put your DVD-A in the player, let it load. Press AUDIO so that the NAVI screen shows the DVD-A info. You should see GROUP 1 at the top of the screen.

While the disc is playing, press and HOLD the [6] button down. The one for the radio presets.

After a few seconds, you should hear a beep and the display should change to GROUP 2 at the top of the screen.

Try a DVD-A that you know for sure has at least 2 groups, like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road or Gaucho.

The key to changing the groups on the 2012 ELS is(drum roll).....holding the Disc button. I tried the 6 again NG...then I tried every button till the disc button beeped. Nice to hear the alt. version of Touch Me. The only place it showed the group # was on the changer screen, nothing on main screen.

Thanks!
BTW-I was wondering, what I'm missing by not have Navagation on my system?

I did not think the TLs without the Tech Package could play DVD-Audios? Do you have an ELS system in the car?

This is great! I've only owned this car since the end of last year and I finally fiqured out another another feature to play with to distract my driving. Now I have to wonder if there's any other hidden tricks about the ELS I don't know about?
BTW the non nav. units do not display any artist/song info. just the format, disc & track # & run time.

Tex,

That is cool. I really thought the only TLs that did DVD-A/ELS were those with the NAVI. Interesting.

If you get into making your own DVD-A's, the group thing is very nice. I made myself a WYWH DVD-A from the Immersion set with the Quad Mix on Group 1 and the Guthrie mix on Group 2. Those are features of DVD-A that rarely get used and really enhance the format.

I haven't tried making one like that but now that I know I can I will.
BTW-what I'm I missing not having Navi when playing DVD-A's?

Nothing!

The Navi screen does not display any of the DVD-A Menus, and it also does not display track title information at all. I've never seen an Acura that did, which is strange. You would think the ELS would at least put up the song titles like a CD or iPod does.

Thanks for that info because I didn't think about Navi when I purchased my TL and later thought it might have been a missed opportunity on the DVD-A side.

Back