Coming Soon, Eddie Callahan, "False Ego" 5.1 upmix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J4J

Hello,

I just spent the afternoon going over the final upmix of "False Ego" with Eddie Callahan. He was pleased with what he heard and next we will be putting together a plan to package the work and make it available for all to enjoy. I believe that Eddie will be creating an identity and introducing himself on the quad pages soon. In the meantime if you are interested in finding out more about his music here are a few articles for you to peruse:

http://www.swanfungus.com/2009/08/eddie-callahan-false-ego-ocean-1976.html

http://flashstrap.blogspot.com/2013/01/you-must-eddie-callahan-false-ego-1975.html

http://ravensingstheblues.blogspot.com/2012/06/eddie-callahan-false-ego-last-week-we.html

Here is a scan of an insert that is with the CD release of this title.:

ego false.jpg

It's also worth noting the work of Robert Berry who went on to work with Keith Emerson and Carl Palmer among others. On this album he was responsible for the recording and playing the drums, moog synthesizer and bass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Berry

This album decoded amazingly for the upmix and will be sure to please many of you who enjoy the legacy sound. There are many samples online for you to get a taste of the music in stereo and as per usual, the surround version takes it to another level!!!

Keeping Surround Around,
David J.

Hello,

I just spent the afternoon going over the final upmix of "False Ego" with Eddie Callahan.

Did you really mean to say upmix?

Or do you mean "re-mixed for surround from the muti-track masters"?

Did you really mean to say upmix?

Or do you mean "re-mixed for surround from the muti-track masters"?

Hello,

Yes you read it right, I did say upmix which is not to say that the multi's and other options are not possible. The fact is just that they are not practical at this time. If this project creates any new interest and appreciation for the music in question here then those options will be explored for sure. If not, then we have not put our proverbial cart in front of the horse. I can tell you that the immediate plan is to get this out to interested parties to hear it and comment on it. It may already be perfect to some listeners sensibilities while others may not have a tolerance of it. These are things that would need to be ascertained before any substantial investment of time and money were to be made. If you would like to be a part of this process we welcome you with open ears and arms. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Kind Regards,
David J.

I'm all for people being exposed to new music, but chances are people who paid for an upmix aren't going to feel too good about paying for a 5.1 from the multis in a year or two.

If this is a two-channel recording, let us hear it in stereo as it was recorded, rather than rechanneled in to pseudo-surround. Look at the Better Than Ezra thread, there are several comments from people who looked the album up on YouTube to sample it before buying.

If funds are an issue, consider starting a Kickstarter to fund the remix from the multis; I believe the Stick Men DVD-A was financed like this. On top of this, there are at least a few professional (and lots of skilled amateur) surround mixers on this forum that would work for very reasonable rates just to see another quality surround release come to market.

I'd never heard of Eddie Callahan, but after seeing this post I went online and listened to some of the cuts off this album. Just from haring the music alone, I'd definitely invest in a 5.1 release. I would definitely prefer a "re-mixed from the masters" true surround mix. I agree about the Kickstarter or Indiegogo idea for raising funds for a project of this type. I think it's been shown that here on this forum a lot of the members would support a surround sound release of a classic artist like this.
Since that's not where this project is at this time, I'd be interested in hearing the efforts of what's been put together at this time.

I'm all for people being exposed to new music, but chances are people who paid for an upmix aren't going to feel too good about paying for a 5.1 from the multis in a year or two.

Hi Dave, You make a valid point. The initial distribution of a remix would be a nominal fee to cover shipping and handling and if you are one of those individuals you would be entitled to purchase the remix for a reduced price, if and when that were ever to happen.

If this is a two-channel recording, let us hear it in stereo as it was recorded, rather than rechanneled in to pseudo-surround. Look at the Better Than Ezra thread, there are several comments from people who looked the album up on YouTube to sample it before buying.

You already can find this music on youtube and various other websites some of which are listed above. The upmix is already available. The artist wants to know right now how well received his music would be in the surround arena before moving forward. He as an artist really likes the upmix but this is all new to him and he would like to bounce it off you guys and learn from your expert consumer opinions. Think of this as a litmus test to find out if this is a good, bad or ugly idea. Eddie tells me stories of being a warm up for the likes Janis Joplin and the Doors back in the day in San Francisco and how he was appreciated by fellow artists and fans, but when it came to record company executives they would just look at him and ask "So what are you trying to say?" Thus the indie, psych, loner rocker was born.

If funds are an issue, consider starting a Kickstarter to fund the remix from the multis; I believe the Stick Men DVD-A was financed like this. On top of this, there are at least a few professional (and lots of skilled amateur) surround mixers on this forum that would work for very reasonable rates just to see another quality surround release come to market.

If and when it becomes clear to move forward the move will be made and all possible avenues will be explored.

I'd never heard of Eddie Callahan, but after seeing this post I went online and listened to some of the cuts off this album. Just from haring the music alone, I'd definitely invest in a 5.1 release. I would definitely prefer a "re-mixed from the masters" true surround mix. I agree about the Kickstarter or Indiegogo idea for raising funds for a project of this type. I think it's been shown that here on this forum a lot of the members would support a surround sound release of a classic artist like this.
Since that's not where this project is at this time, I'd be interested in hearing the efforts of what's been put together at this time.

Hello Dr8,

Thanks for the optimistic enthusiasm, I look forward to working through this process with you and others of like mind. Through all our variables it's our passion for the music that keeps us open to the journey. A week ago this was just an idea that an old DJ ran past an old Rocker. Today Eddie heard his 38 year old work of art in a way that he never knew possible. In the next few days we will be discussing how to get this out to those that are interested and see where it all goes from there. I have a hunch that those with a willing, open mind will be pleasantly surprised!

All The Best,
David J.

hi David.
if you're looking for an opinions in regard of this idea, i could say - forget about commercial print of an upmix.
there were such initiative at the dawn of marketing of surround sound formats at beginning of millenia, that's
went to nowhere.
i wasn't familiar with works of artist but checked few tracks on youtube. definately quite interesting material
which musically still not hopelessly outdated and can gain new life if properly and boldly will be mixed into
surround on condition - original multis were used for mix, particularly when they survived.

hi David.
if you're looking for an opinions in regard of this idea, i could say - forget about commercial print of an upmix.
there were such initiative at the dawn of marketing of surround sound formats at beginning of millenia, that's
went to nowhere.
i wasn't familiar with works of artist but checked few tracks on youtube. definately quite interesting material
which musically still not hopelessly outdated and can gain new life if properly and boldly will be mixed into
surround on condition - original multis were used for mix, particularly when they survived.

Hello Otto,

Gotta love you man. Thanks for your insight. You made me aware that I need to stress the point that this is not intended to be a commercial print at this point. In discussing this with Eddie we would like to see this done in Blu-Ray somewhere down the road. However there are a lot of hurdles between here and there. What we are looking for at this point is whether or not there would be any support for this endeavor up front by the surround community that exists here. The purpose of the upmix is to put the music in your hands to contemplate and savor and imagine how you would like to see this project evolve. We're trying to create a buzz here and in the process polish away all the negativity that haunts surround releases after they have been issued. I told Eddie after finishing the upmix that I thought he had been sitting on a diamond in the ruff all these years. The surround mix of his music gives it new life. Even though he wasn't intentionally trying to make something that would decode as well as it does, he did. The out of the box thinking that went into the stereo mix makes awesome things happen all throughout the album.

The fact that several of you have mentioned that the music sounds like it would stand on it's own even in todays musical environment is exactly the kind of thing that we are looking for. The reason being is that this body of music is virtually unknown and it could possibly chart now. I am reminded of my radio days when I was a music director of a station in Las Vegas. I received a test pressing of Herb Alpert's song "Rise", I liked it a lot and I charted it as an add on our stations playlist. The song came and went with moderate success and it went into a recurrent rotation on our station. Time went by and we kept playing it and it wasn't until a year or so later that other stations across the nation started to chart it. It went on to become a huge hit and our station received a nice framed copy of the "Gold Record" when it went gold, which was customary in the industry at the time, to honor the station that charted a song first. The same thing happened with the song "Pop Muzik" by M. So fast forward 34 years and imagine my surprise when Eddie hands me this album that I had never heard of and tells me to see what I can do with it.

Getting back to the here and now, think of this upmix as a test pressing or demo disc. Get it, listen to it, and report back with your thoughts on where to go with it and how to do it. We don't have the resources to distribute this to the hundreds of you that may be interested and the thought of paying a nominal fee seems to bother some folks, so here's another idea. Since the upmix is on a DTS CD and can easily be ripped and burned, what if I were to forward copies to a handful of individuals who could then forward it to others until everyone that wants to become involved in this process can.

Ultimately what I would like to see happen with this project is that in some small way we can create something that is much bigger than the sum of all it's parts. I would like to see this music enter into the mainstream and the only way to get a copy is to buy it in a package that includes the surround version as well as the stereo mix. And then when the bigs come to us and ask us "So what are you trying to say?", we'll tell them...and they will listen!

Kind Regards,
David J.

Back