Computer driver question....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Hi all.

I just built a new computer.

The parts are:
XFX NeForce 750a SLI motherboard (NVIDIA)
AMD Dual Core Athlon 5400+
4GB Corsair RAM

On the MB there are 6 SATA ports. 4 are black 2 are white.

In the case there are 3 hard drives and 4 DVD burners.

The 3 HD's are SATA drives and 2 of the DVD burners are SATA. The other 2 DVD's are EIDE. All are working well except one DVD Drive.

My problem is that one of the SATA DVD drives is not being seen by the BIOS or any of the programs most likely because it is plugged into SATA 5 port (one of the 2 white ports). I have read that SATA 5 and 6 can be used by installing AHCI drivers and repairing Windows or reinstalling.

I am not really sure of the steps needed to do this and all of the sites I have read on the subject have different steps that are very different from each other.

I have the system set up as a dual boot system for now since I am not really sure about Vista at this point. I'm just checking it out.

Has anyone ever done this? Is anyone familliar with AHCI drivers?

Thanks for any help,
Bob

Try this: Unplug the SATA drive not being seen. ReBoot the machine into XP mode. Plug in the aforementioned SATA drive. See if XP sees the drive and tries to install it. Sometimes XP just gets overwhelmed with a plethora of outboard devices.

MTGC (Michael)

Back