Convert Marantz Quad to Surround or buy a Surround reciever

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Johnnieonetime

Hi, am new to the board and come with a whole load of questions.
I have a Marantz 4140 Quad with the SQ1A and the CD-4 Demodulator attachments. You know,
to me , this old rigg sounds better than a lot of new recievers of today- I am probably biased though. I was wondering if there is any processor I can add to my marantz that would let me add the center channel and subwoofer like in todays 5.1 , 6.1 systems or should I buy a seperate reciever? If so, what is
considered good quality comparison to my old Marantz? I play audio recordings, including SQ and CD-4 LPs,
but I would like to use it with digital sources (DVD-Video, DTS CDs, DVD-Audio and SACD).

Now I spoke to Larry Clifton about this and he explained that for DVD-Video and DTS CDs, I'd need an outboard 5.1 or 6.1 decoder (actually a preamp containing a decoder) to convert the digital signals to
analog. Then I could plug the four corner analog signals coming out of the decoder into a four-channel tape in or aux in connection on my Marantz receiver and the center signal into a separate single-channel amp. He believes the low-frequency signal would go directly to an amplified subwoofer. (he explained that he
doesn't speak with complete authority on the subwoofer. He has owned a 5.1 home theater receiver since 1999, but has yet to add a subwoofer to his speaker system.) Larry says that a major caveat here is that I'd probably pay more for a 5.1 or 6.1 preamp/decoder and additional amp than you would for a very good quality 6.1 receiver- which again brings me to the question of what is comparible quality in today's market?
It used to by that Harmon-Kardon, yamaha, Marantz were all great , however, they tell me the bottom
fell out in quality in the 80's- so I am guessing I have to move up to Mcintosh, Carver, Classe, parasound
and the like.
In closing, I am presently running Paradigm speakers with my Marantz, however, I am always on the look for a great pair of Maggies as well- Appreciate any and all input

I can tell you what I did. I have a Technics SA6700X quad amp that I was using for quad lps. I found a Panasonic SA6400X that had the same power output. I picked up a Panasonic DVD-A/DTS player that has the decoders built in. I run the front and rear outputs from the DVD player to the 6700 4 channel discrete inputs, and run the center channel output to the left channel aux input of the 6400, put it into SQ mode, and run two smaller speakers for the center channel. I don't currently run a subwoofer, but I believe that 2 powered subwoofers could be run through the 6400's right input, also utilizing the SQ decoder. I personally think you get better sound from these mid seventies quad amps, unless you are willing to spend over $1,000 for a high end amp. Even then I think they are comparable, especially the Marantz amps.

Wow- what a little ingenuity will do !! Well that certainly is another way of skinning the cat sort of speak.
I like the idea of processor / preamp from Larry as well- Still, it cost lots of money to get these high
quality attachments. On the other end of the coin, I am considering a Harmon Kardon AV 525-
Now I have yet to actually here and compare to my old Marantz- but it does have good reviews for
the most part. There are those that say different. I will definitley let my ears decide in the end-
Thanks for your input- appreciate any and all to help me make up my mind, John

I would suggest that you purchase a vintage Marantz stereo amp and use it for the center and subwoofer channels. A stereo amp of the same time period that would have similar sonic characteristics. You could use one channel for the center feed, and use the other for subwoofer. Be sure to get an amp of the same power per channel as your quad receiver. Add a DTS decoder and you're ready to go. Another way is to use a Pioneer DV45A player which plays pretty much everything on a 5" shiny disc. Happy Listening!

The Quadfather

I thank you all for taking time to respond. I have received a lot of
emails from my various inquirys from a lot of nice people such as yourselves
that share this passionate interest. I have learned that I should definitley
replace my aging filter capacitors with good high quality filters, and I probably
will toy around with the many great ingenuities on decoding the new
with the old, however,.......... I will also grab a hold of the new
technology and spring for a new quality surround receiver, (just because
it's new technology, great movie listening experience, and us old hippies
have to come out of the 70's, (partially) ), and then I gotta gotta gotta
get a pair of Maggies , and then, and - ah, I Lost her there for a minute,
sorry, - but I think you all can understand the passion I have for one of life's
true gifts- Music!!!!!!!!......... I now have been looking at the Marantz
SR6200 as well as the Harmon Kardon 525 and the yamaha 630 series
0r 6 something-75 watts high current?)...........
I believe these are all high current receivers????????? Thanks for your
continued evolving help- I appreciate both your ingenuities, and your
recommendations-
Thanks for your shared enthusiasm , John

FWIW - I also own a Marantz 4140 that I love. On the other hand, master volume, muting and other conveniences can only be had with a modern 5.1 receiver or decoder w/remote.

The Marantz 4140 is my 4.0 system that also handles DTS CDRs and DVD-Audio (in 4.0), the living room is Denon 5.1 and the office/den is Denon 6.1. Each has it's purpose, even the Marantz 1040 2.0 bedroom system. ;)

Back