Converting DSD Files to FLAC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, I see in TOOLS>ADVANCED TOOLS>CONVERT FORMAT.
But if I did that wouldn't I permanently convert them in my NAS?
I don't want to play converted DSF files at home in JRiver, when at home I want to keep them as DSF.

If that's how it works, just make a copy of the DSF and convert that. Ditto if you use Foobar.

Or just use Jriver to convert them..

A couple tips:
* Right click on now playing files and choose "library tools -> convert format"
* Then choose FLAC encoder
* In options (underneath flac encoder window), make sure you check either of the boxes that says "leave original file" (and either save new file to folder or not)
OK Ted, I am getting there, seems so simple.
I want to leave original file, that is easy.
If I do "save new file to folder" I think it will populate on my NAS music folder? So I should have two in the NAS , one DSF and one FLAC? Then I could take the converted new FLAC file and MOVE it over to my Samsung SSD to play in the car.
Am I getting it?

So if your SSD is portable enough you could temporarily attach it to JRiver machine, browse to it and designate that folder for new converted flac files (in options)

Thank you @ted_b that was way too easy.
I converted DSF to FLAC sent the new conversion to my download folder.
Now I can add my little hard drive, move the new FLAC file to it and listen to in car, awesome.
I noticed that the JRiver is reading for playback both the DSF from the NAS and the FLAC from the Download folder.
When I am done adding FLAC file to external car hard drive, I will just delete from download folder and I am right back where I started, awesome, happy.

One little side note, as it is new to me as I never converted DSF to FLAC before.
Listening on the home rig the DSF file does sound a little better.
Another new to me is the conversion rate for the FLAC is 24 bit/352.8Khz. That is what a lot of MQA files come out as.
The whole point for my situation is I now get to listen to my ripped SACD collection in the car, that is a milestone.

Yes, DSF to FLAC is a lossy process, although with the right filters and such (doable on players like HQPlayer) one can get a FLAC file to sound pretty good from a DSF conversion.

Also, if the car DAC has issues with 24/352.8k you could further downsample to something like 24/176 or lower. The car environment noise floor is pretty high. :)

One little side note, as it is new to me as I never converted DSF to FLAC before.
Listening on the home rig the DSF file does sound a little better.

If DSF sounds different than FLAC, that's placebo.

Another new to me is the conversion rate for the FLAC is 24 bit/352.8Khz.

That's a choice, not a requirement.

24/88.2 would be more than sufficient for any set of ears.

That is what a lot of MQA files come out as.

That's should tell you it's audiophool nonsense right there.

The whole point for my situation is I now get to listen to my ripped SACD collection in the car, that is a milestone.

In your car, even 24 bits isn't going to matter.

@ted_b
Thanks for all your help. Took my converted DSF to FLAC 24/352.8Khz USB, plugged in the Challenger and music plays like a champ and sounds great also.
Thanks again.

LOL! DSF to FLAC is lossy; it's science not placebo.
Practically nothing is natively recorded as DSD. It all starts life as PCM. So in the strict definition of the term, the conversion of PCM to DSD is also lossy. It doesn't matter so much if a conversion is lossy. What matters is if its audible. I can hear no difference between DSD and a 24/88.2 conversion of the same file. What is easily audible though is the DSP room correction that can be applied to PCM. And I can most certainly hear that.

@ted_b
Thanks for all your help. Took my converted DSF to FLAC 24/352.8Khz USB, plugged in the Challenger and music plays like a champ and sounds great also.
Thanks again.
Before you go filling that drive quicker than needed with large files, try a 24/88.2 version as well and see if you notice the difference. For all we know, the U connect is down sampling to something even lower. It accepts 24/352.8. That doesn't mean it actually decodes that data stream.

Before you go filling that drive quicker than needed with large files, try a 24/88.2 version as well and see if you notice the difference. For all we know, the U connect is down sampling to something even lower. It accepts 24/352.8. That doesn't mean it actually decodes that data stream.
OK, good idea, 1 will give it a try. I am sure 24/88.2 is still better than 16/44.1.

Yes, especially 5 or 6 channel files. Those are huge (our own NativeDSD sells, for extreme example, DSD256 multichannel files and an album is enormous). A 24/88.2 or even 24/96 (a few digital devices throw up on 24/88.2 for some reason; it's not in their 44.1 clock spec?) will be plenty for car audio.

Latest posts

Back