Quantcast

Converting DSD Files to FLAC

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

albertop

QQ Supporter
I would convert to PCM and then normalize to a sensible level on a per-album basis (to preserve inter-track dynamic relationships). I find -1dBFS to be a fairly safe normalization target.
I have converted the DSD files to FLAC. Should I just amplify in 24 bit directly or move to 32 bit float first and render in 24 bit again? Thanks

Eclectic

As always the best way to decide is to compare the various files (WAV and FLAC).
Along with the different software and hardware approaches to converting the files from their original format to FLAC.
And of course your comparisons must be double blind or equivalent (e.g. ABX testing). If you go to the effort, you'll find that you can't tell the difference between the sound of various flac encodings and wav, because they're identical by the time they hit the DAC. So much snake oil.

P.S. flac is flac; I want my baby back.

JediJoker

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I have converted the DSD files to FLAC. Should I just amplify in 24 bit directly or move to 32 bit float first and render in 24 bit again? Thanks
Just leave it in 24-bit. Depending on the software you use, the processing will be done in up to 64-bit floating point. And if not, any difference in result won't be audible, anyway. Save the time, CPU, and drive space.