David Bowie immersive audio experience in NYC and London

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last month I had a fun visit to the NYC store! Tons of very cool stuff to check out. I ended up buying just a few small things but had a blast listening to Heathen in Sony 360 RA.

The guy there said I should first check out the immersive headphone experience before going in to the speaker listening area. So I put on the Sony wireless headphones and was really impressed with the audio quality considering it was a wireless bluetooth connection. But honestly I wasn't hearing much of an 'immersive' mix. It sounded wide but not much front/back/height. (Later I found out that I could have customized the HRTF response to my ears by having a picture of my ears used as a way to generate the response. But the guy there didn't mention anything about this...oh well.)

Then I went into the listening area where they had a 15 speaker Genelec system - see pics below. The Heathen album was playing back on a loop from a laptop. Pro Tools was playing the multitrack audio and it was being sent into a Sony 360 program. This was a really impressive immersive experience! It was a pleasure to be surrounded by Bowie's music on one of his best albums. (y)

It seems Sony's 360 is an Atmos-like system using 'objects' to place things in a 360 audio mix. Not sure if it's being adopted by many artists though. All I hear about in immersive surround is Atmos, so it's a bit odd that Bowie's camp is promoting Sony 360.

speakers fr.jpg

speakers rear.jpg

timeline.jpg

phone booth.jpg

Back