David Bowie - The Next Day (new album in March)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I could find somewhere to order this that is not feckin iTunes.........
Hate the new look on the website too - almost unusable for me.

I really thought we had seen the last.......wonder who the band is?

I'm guessing Amazon pre-orders will show up shortly now - I want a proper disc (the extra tracks version of course). I'm not wild about the new site either and hope they can adjust it a little during the reno, but I wasn't crazy about the last version of the site either. Oddly enough, I tried visiting the site earlier in the evening yesterday, just because I hadn't in ages, and it was down - I must have been trying just as they were updating.

Apparently Tony Levin plays on it, I saw somewhere? Not sure about the rest yet.

Oh, and Earl Slick too

Last edited:
I'm guessing Amazon pre-orders will show up shortly now - I want a proper disc (the extra tracks version of course). I'm not wild about the new site either and hope they can adjust it a little during the reno, but I wasn't crazy about the last version of the site either. Oddly enough, I tried visiting the site earlier in the evening yesterday, just because I hadn't in ages, and it was down - I must have been trying just as they were updating.

Apparently Tony Levin plays on it, I saw somewhere? Not sure about the rest yet.

Oh, and Earl Slick too

Tony Levin & DB go back years.....wonder if there is a chance of 5.1 version? Must ask Tony this.
Earl Slick is awesome too - been there on & off since 1974 now, and whilst he is no Ronno, he is the next best option.

Exciting news. I like the new song, but that video is awful! I would have preferred the black and white footage of Berlin without the cut-out heads.

I'll try my best to wait a while for a surround version to avoid buying the mutiple versions like I have for Heathen and Reality. Love the beginning of Heathen in surround!

Bjork or her record company also has the annoying method of releasing the surround or album+live tracks months or sometimes only weeks or days later. I really appreciated the David Gilmour at Gdansk being released in all formats and variations the same day - so one doesn't get hit repeatedly for the same album. (I love that box set with the 5.1 of On An Island.)

I've just heard the track once....and i think it's already a classic ! Beautiful, sad, emotive....i've only got a Bowie Greatest Hits CD, but if this song is anything to go by, i think i'll be adding the new album to my cd collection.

More on who's playing (from Rolling Stone):

Who exactly is the band on the album?
We had two drummers. The main drummer was Zachary Alford, and Sterling Campbell played on several tracks, too. It's unfortunate. Sterling was at the demo sessions in the beginning but then he didn't know when the album was gonna start, and he already committed to a tour with the B-52s. We called Zach in to substitute for him, and Zack played amazing drums on the album. But Sterling is in there as well on songs like "Valentine's Day" and "(You Will) Set the World on Fire," which is another steamer, another big rock song on the album.

Bass was predominantly Gail Ann Dorsey, and she played phenomenally well on the album, and she also did some backup vocals with David. The other bass player who played on about four or five tracks was Tony Levin. The guitars are Gerry Leonard who played on Heathen and Reality, and he's David's music director. David Torn on the other ambient guitar. And then we got Earl Slick to play some fantastic guitar solos and heavy guitar on some tracks. I played bass on the album for two songs, and that's about it. David played his own keyboards; he played also some acoustic guitar, some electric guitar as well.

The second single from the album...good rockin' track, like it a lot!

Bit of an intro in the clip before the tune starts....

David Bowie - The Stars Are Out Tonight

Thanks for the link, just listened once, need to listen again. I thought " Where are we now " is a classic track, not quite sure about this one ?
I've ordered the Blu spec CD2, from cdjapan. Extra track edition.

Man if only there was a definite 5.1 mix of this album I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Listening to the free stream on iTunes, sometimes the best things are worth waiting for! :)

Just giving this a first listen. What's anyone's thought's on DB's new offering ? Impressed or disappointed ? What's your favourite tracks ?

Initial impression, good album, after a few more listens, i think i will regard this as a great album ! :phones

I've been listening to this all day. It really is a great album. Gets better with each listen. :smokin

Last edited:
Back