David Bowie - The Next Day (new album in March)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you don't get at least the first half of my list above, you are missing out on an embarrassment of riches, imo.

What about the Labyrinth sountrack?

I have it on CD and I have the 12" singles of Magic Dance and Underground but somehow the soundtrack on vinyl still elludes me.

Stewart's "rock" attempts haven't been any better in a while, either. He'd really be a perfect candidate for a Rick Rubin project.

The one thing the "Songbook" series shows is that the voice is still there.

I'm with you DKA, I've struggled with Rod's rockier attempts for so long. It pains me to say it but I've all but written him off in a recorded output context.

I also agree he still has the vocal chops (maybe they're chops? ..or props..? whatever!) but his talents have been criminally underused the last decade-plus on lazy old standards or dull rehashed classic rock stuff. that album with the "Bread" cover on it that he knocked out did next to nothing for me, for instance.

What about the Labyrinth sountrack?

I have it on CD and I have the 12" singles of Magic Dance and Underground but somehow the soundtrack on vinyl still elludes me.

oh yes of course! there's a ton more that's unmissable. I was just suggesting to "Dixie4 Rob" the Bowie albums I cherish and adore above all others that he should buy RIGHT NOW :eek:

wow! really? what kept you!? ;)

David Bowie created what I consider 10 absolutely essential classic albums that I simply cannot live without - and I recommend them to you wholeheartedly. (*)

In no particular order (but roughly "in order"..!) my desert island All-Time Top 10 Bowie albums..

Hunky Dory,
Aladdin Sane,
The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars,
Station To Station,
Diamond Dogs,
Young Americans,
"Heroes",
Lodger,
Low,
Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps).

(*) Maybe start with the more accessible albums.. If you were to get the first half dozen in my list you'd have a stunning set of (mostly) accessible truly masterful works of art.

The hits & singles you'd most likely know and lap up, the majority of the deeper cuts you're bound to enjoy just as much in time.. and then go for The Berlin Trilogy and prepare to be amazed, challenged and enthralled..!!

Interesting list.

I'm not surprised in the least that you left out what I think is his most underrated album in "The Man Who Sold the World," which I just find brilliant. "Width of a Circle" is such a badass opener, and you could really hear his sound evolving.

Even the not-so-great albums have great moments. "Tonight" has "Loving the Alien" and "Blue Jean," one of his best singles. "Never Let Me Down" has "Time Will Crawl."

If I were to start anyone somewhere, I think it'd either be Ziggy or Station to Station. As for my favorite? I go back and forth between S2S and "Low."

wow! really? what kept you!? ;)

David Bowie created what I consider 10 absolutely essential classic albums that I simply cannot live without - and I recommend them to you wholeheartedly. (*)

In no particular order (but roughly "in order"..!) my desert island All-Time Top 10 Bowie albums..

Hunky Dory,
Aladdin Sane,
The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars,
Station To Station,
Diamond Dogs,
Young Americans,
"Heroes",
Lodger,
Low,
Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps).

(*) Maybe start with the more accessible albums.. If you were to get the first half dozen in my list you'd have a stunning set of (mostly) accessible truly masterful works of art.

The hits & singles you'd most likely know and lap up, the majority of the deeper cuts you're bound to enjoy just as much in time.. and then go for The Berlin Trilogy and prepare to be amazed, challenged and enthralled..!!

Thank you for the suggestions, Adam.

Ironically my DB Greatest Hits ( Disc 2 ) is the only faulty disc i own ! ( So i can't listen to all that ! )

I guess age, and timing is why i didn't get into Bowie. I didn't start collecting albums till 1980. ( but collected singles from '73 onwards ) I remember playing my older brothers " Life On Mars " single constantly ! ( An amusing thought, just came to mind....i have the " Laughing Gnome " single. ; I WAS 10 !) I have Ashes To Ashes, too. I really must get round to revisiting my old 45's.
I think if anything, i wasn't put off by his voice, but perhaps found it a little too different ( unique ) to the kind of vocalist that may have appealed to me ? I'm sure i'm bound to like some of the albums you suggest......

....."my desert island all time top 10 " ( by artist(s) )......i feel a new thread coming on !

Oh no !! I can't get the " Laughing Gnome " out of my head now ! ;)

DSCN0016.jpgDSCN0017.jpg
"Laughing Gnome" is available on CD on the Deluxe Edition of his self-titled album.

That's awesome.

I'm pretty sure Bowie once had a fan contest in which he'd play whatever they chose at a concert, and we was forced to perform "The Laughing Gnome."

ha ha ha hee hee hee

That's awesome.

I'm pretty sure Bowie once had a fan contest in which he'd play whatever they chose at a concert, and we was forced to perform "The Laughing Gnome."

ha ha ha hee hee hee

When you're 9 / 10 years of age, you can buy some quite novelty records ! ( I'm pleased my tastes are now a little more mature ! ;) )

Back