David Crosby dies aged 81

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surround marvel. RIP. X

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230120-005110.png
    Screenshot_20230120-005110.png
    616.7 KB · Views: 0
We're rapidly losing some of the greats & famous in the music-world from the 60's on. I thought last yr had big losses. It's just mid-Jan with Jeff Beck & Marie Pressley last week & David Crosby this week.

From The Byrds & CSN(&Y) to solo work, he left a big mark in music. Including songs like Wooden Ships he co-wrote with members of Jefferson Airplane and performed by them as well as CSN. And Triad, written by him, sung by Grace Slick on the JA album Crown of Creation.

So many have enjoyed all this music over the decades.
Don’t forget Tim Bogert from Vanilla Fudge and BBA. Two thirds of Beck, Bogert and Appice left us within days of each other.

So sad. "If I Could Remember" is one of my all time favourites. Glad to get the DVD-A 2nd hand a few years ago. Listening often to that album since old analog times. Just again. In 5.0.

Capitol Theatre ordered, so I get a chance to see him "live" (on tele). Thanks for the hint.

We have lost another icon. I can’t believe how fast they are passing now.
Love his music.
R.I.P. David Crosby

The rock idols of my generation hopped on the Train of Life just a few stops before many of us got on. Since the ride is finite, many more will be getting off the train very soon as their final stop will soon arrive, as it will for all of us eventually. It's been a fine ride with a few bumps for David, but he really left a great legacy, which is about all you can do while you're all on board the train............

A 2018 LIVE performance with the Lighthouse Band at the historic Capitol Theater in Port Chester, NY

david crosby and the lighthouse band live at the capitol theater info

71tqnuY209L._SL1500_.jpg
I think his collaborations with Michael League (Snarky Puppy) and Becca Stevens began with Snarky Puppy's Family Dinner, Vol. 2 (which has an okay 5.1 mix, even though it's Dolby Digital on DVD-V)? Crosby is a big presence on that disc: even though he's the featured performer on just one track, he contributes much more as a periodic interviewee.
https://store.snarkypuppy.com/products/family-dinner-vol-2-cd-dvd
By the way: here's the Lighthouse Band's "Tiny Desk Concert":

Last edited:
I've already seen a couple of other lists like this (with many of the same tunes), but I prefer Jon Pareles's commentary.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/20/arts/music/david-crosby-songs.html(Here's a "gift" version of the article for non-subscribers who've already exceeded their monthly limit of free articles.)

I don't know that either of the following is "essential," but as a Steely Dan fanatic, I was surprised and pleased to see Croz develop a late-life collaboration with Donald Fagen. So:

1) Here's Crosby performing "Wooden Ships" with the Steely Dan Band at the Beacon in 2019:

2) And here's "Rodriguez for a Night," a song co-written with Fagen for Crosby's final album:

Given their heavy drug use...it's a miracle that some of these artists lived into their 70's and 80's...and I'm not talking about smoking weed...James Taylor(75) had a nasty heroin addiction...I mean when you aren't interested in Carly Simon(in her best years)there is a problem...plenty of others used "hard" drugs and are still alive...

Given their heavy drug use...it's a miracle that some of these artists lived into their 70's and 80's...and I'm not talking about smoking weed...James Taylor(75) had a nasty heroin addiction...I mean when you aren't interested in Carly Simon(in her best years)there is a problem...plenty of others used "hard" drugs and are still alive...
Clapton and Townshend were both fortunate in having Dr. Wu, acupuncturist to the stars, assist them in weaning off of heroin. In large measure, Keith Richards is alive today because one of his main dealers was employed by Merck Pharmaceuticals. You have a better chance of not overdosing when you know that you possess uncut, non-tampered with, pharmaceutical grade drugs.

And then there’s the 27 Club….

Back