Dolby Atmos for Audio-Only Remixes ??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
The first Dolby Atmos Blu-ray movie comes out on the 30th.

With all of the activity remixing albums into Surround Sound,
it seems like it would be fun/interesting to remix albums with
some sounds directed to the ceiling (speakers).

Back in the mid-1970s, I recall an article about quad where the
article writers placed a speaker in the ceiling and fed the sum
(LF+RF+LB+RB) to it (probably CD-4 or Open Reel as the source),
I don't remember much else about the article although they did
like the resulting effect.

Kirk Bayne

I do not mean to be negative, but have a good point, if most won't bother with 5.1, how in hell will they get this into the mainstream? The average person may even have a 5.1 system, but not have a clue how to use it correctly. I have seen it repeatedly in some of my work, that involves rental property, generally speaking, most just don't know correct set up, or use.
If a failure to read the instruction, that may read to the laymen as a tech sheet, to just piling all the speakers up in the same place. Or, just not having the correct players to decode properly.
I would LOVE to have the set up for music, but again, can't even get half of what I like in 5.1! OK movies-but again-what of the future? Look at what we went through to get here. The last thing I intend on buying is a new AVR -I just can't be pissing away $1000.00 every few years on new equipment. Dulby- Dulby pro-logic Dulby Digital- Dulby lossless- now this.
I have a fine setup- a huge AVR with nice speakers and it's going to remain unless they make a hologram sound format.
I know people who have no clue or desire to go 5.1, (the sound bar is good enough) one even using PC speakers, he views as fantastic. ( mini plug in back of TV used)
And could care less about the whole thing- upon visiting me it's "can you turn it down?" when it's not even close to offensive volume. Just very present.
Or-could it be I just don't see it right?

Not for me, I suspect my ceiling would come down if I nailed a few full range Monitor Audio speakers to it to match the rest of the system :yikes

The cynic in me says that Dolby churn out new stuff to stay visible in the market place, and the marketing guys in the hi-fi companies start playing technical spec games with look what we can do...... that said you could have seem really fun mixes with stuff flying all over the place. The helicopters on Pink Floyd's "The Wall" for one!

Not for me, I suspect my ceiling would come down if I nailed a few full range Monitor Audio speakers to it to match the rest of the system :yikes

The cynic in me says that Dolby churn out new stuff to stay visible in the market place, and the marketing guys in the hi-fi companies start playing technical spec games with look what we can do...... that said you could have seem really fun mixes with stuff flying all over the place. The helicopters on Pink Floyd's "The Wall" for one!

From what I've seen and read, you can aim a set of special speakers at the ceiling for effects. No doubt it will be the tits, but again, I can't get half of what I like in 5.1, what makes anyone think this will be any different?
Years ago, when VHS was the format- we ran out and bought tons of music VHS-look at you with 159 MC sacd 218 dvd audio, I have a ton a dvd audio and now BD. How many avr's did I buy? I forget.

Back