Dutton Vocalion: What's Next?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subaru is bringing back cd players in select models for 2024. There may even be a few 2023 models with them as an option. It's possible these may be dvd players also.

Last edited:
I can put a little bit of meat on this bone...

As I'm sure everyone's noticed, D-V's release frequency has slowed somewhat in the last couple of years - originally this was because labels and vaults were effectively shut for months at a time during COVID lockdowns, but the pandemic also gave Mike some time to think about his live/work balance. I think we can all agree that D-V released SACDs at a remarkable rate and volume for such a small company, and I'm not sure everyone appreciates how much work this is for the man himself, from mastering every album three times (CD stereo, SACD stereo and SACD quad), authoring discs, not to mention all of the classical recording and mixing he does, and running a small business on top of it all.

Having said that, D-V are far from done. There are a number of what I'd consider 'top-tier' titles across a number of genres in various states of gestation (some dating back as far as the start of the pandemic) including a couple of QQ's most-requested rock titles. I'm not sure what the timeline is for any of this stuff yet as there are several factors that can impact a schedule, but in my opinion there's a lot to look forward to from the vaults of Sony and UMG, and maybe even a left-field surprise or two.

When I spoke to Mike recently to talk about plans for the rest of this year he also mentioned that his studio is now equipped for object-based surround mixing, and he's done immersive mixes of some of his recent classical SACD offerings, including the recent Mancini/Galway release. Whether these are available on streaming services or not I'm not sure, but I think it's an exciting development to say the least - I might start a separate thread about this as I'd love to show Mike that there'd be exceptional interest here (and elsewhere) if he got into releasing immersive mixes of Sony or UMG catalog titles, either via the SDE-style all-singing all-dancing multi-mix Blu-Ray, or via some kind of IAA-style download.

Oh and to answer someone else's question earlier on, Mike has seen this thread - I'm not sure who changed the thread title, but when I spoke to him it was called "Michael Dutton why have you forsaken us?" and he said to me "I haven't forsaken QuadraphonicQuad, I've just been busy!"

There are a number of what I'd consider 'top-tier' titles across a number of genres...
Although I'm interested in classical music, I lack the background to know the 'top-tier' titles in the genre. So it would be very helpful if one of the QQ classical music aficionados beams about one of these gems when they are released. You all have been very helpful in the past.

Although I'm interested in classical music, I lack the background to know the 'top-tier' titles in the genre. So it would be very helpful if one of the QQ classical music aficionados beams about one of these gems when they are released. You all have been very helpful in the past.

Sorry, I meant "top-tier" popular music, ie pop, rock, soul/funk, easy listening, jazz, etc.

As I'm sure everyone's noticed, D-V's release frequency has slowed somewhat in the last couple of years - originally this was because labels and vaults were effectively shut for months at a time during COVID lockdowns, but the pandemic also gave Mike some time to think about his live/work balance. I think we can all agree that D-V released SACDs at a remarkable rate and volume for such a small company, and I'm not sure everyone appreciates how much work this is for the man himself, from mastering every album three times (CD stereo, SACD stereo and SACD quad), authoring discs, not to mention all of the classical recording and mixing he does, and running a small business on top of it all.

Having said that, D-V are far from done. There are a number of what I'd consider 'top-tier' titles across a number of genres in various states of gestation (some dating back as far as the start of the pandemic) including a couple of QQ's most-requested rock titles. I'm not sure what the timeline is for any of this stuff yet as there are several factors that can impact a schedule, but in my opinion there's a lot to look forward to from the vaults of Sony and UMG, and maybe even a left-field surprise or two.

When I spoke to Mike recently to talk about plans for the rest of this year he also mentioned that his studio is now equipped for object-based surround mixing, and he's done immersive mixes of some of his recent classical SACD offerings, including the recent Mancini/Galway release. Whether these are available on streaming services or not I'm not sure, but I think it's an exciting development to say the least - I might start a separate thread about this as I'd love to show Mike that there'd be exceptional interest here (and elsewhere) if he got into releasing immersive mixes of Sony or UMG catalog titles, either via the SDE-style all-singing all-dancing multi-mix Blu-Ray, or via some kind of IAA-style download.

Oh and to answer someone else's question earlier on, Mike has seen this thread - I'm not sure who changed the thread title, but when I spoke to him it was called "Michael Dutton why have you forsaken us?" and he said to me "I haven't forsaken QuadraphonicQuad, I've just been busy!"
I admit upfront that I’m clearly not the most disciplined about keeping a thread on topic. I’d, however, be greatly in favor of having this be a stringently policed thread for Mike to be able to refer to now and then, especially without having to sift through OT posts from people like me. I’m betting that @sjcorne and @fredblue would probably agree with me. It’s not about hurting anybody’s feelings and spoiling the fun of posting but, rather, about giving Mike(Dutton, not Vieira, though we do love you @edisonbaggins!) encouragement to prioritize our requested titles whenever he can or otherwise sees fit.

Wow, Dave, many thanks for 'dissipating' the suspense and reassuring us that Michael J. Dutton has NOT abandoned our Quadraphonic needs ...NO, necessities!

And I've often wondered myself how the Wizard does indeed find the time to remaster all three layers of an SACD and in some instances and IMO, with GREAT success, remix some of those RCA/SONY multitracks which he has been supplied with into stunning discrete QUADRAPHONIC beauties [i.e. the recent Charles Gerhardt Star Wars/Close Encounters disc].

And the VERY fact that he has some upcoming UMG QUAD titles and some 'left of field' surprises forthcoming is wonderful news as with the upcoming Rhino QUADIO titles ..... all the Major labels are effectively covered.

Thanks again, Dave, for chiming in and cannot wait for those TOP TIER QUAD titles you've now dangled in front of our 'salivating' 👂👂👂👂

Last edited:
Trying not to sound negative but "various states of gestation" sounds like nothing is coming soon.
On a personal level I applaud Mike for evaluating his work life balance that is the most important thing for him.
We here at QQ of course will buy whatever quad DV releases. Poop included or not.

If being pessimistic makes coping with the unkonwn easier, I totally get that, but it's just a turn of phrase I chose to use - some are just licensed, some are awaiting tapes, some have the artwork done, and some are already mastered and otherwise complete. That's what I consider "various stages of gestation."

Trying not to sound negative but "various states of gestation" sounds like nothing is coming soon.
On a personal level I applaud Mike for evaluating his work life balance that is the most important thing for him.
We here at QQ of course will buy whatever quad DV releases. Poop included or not.
Jeffie, The Wizard has released literally hundreds of QUALITY SACD QUAD reissues over the years...more than any other reissue company COMBINED ...so what's a few more [agonizing] months?

And as far as D~V releasing :poop:...you can put away the scoop as in Paulie Simon's wise words "One Man's Ceiling Is Another Man's floor ..' that's if you live in a high rise!

Patience, my MAN!

Yes Dave, please start a separate thread for the "object-based surround mixing" stuff from MJD. Hopefully at some point we might get music in (Atmos ?) other than classical from him; just not sure what kind of stuff that would be though. Just getting to know the new gear and how to mix in the software, I'm thinking, would slow him down some from his Quad work (maybe that's what he considers 'live/work balance' :) )

I would vote for him adding Atmos mixes on Blu-ray if he is going to get into that arena! Please don't limit it to classical! I would like some Rock/Pop and Jazz titles as well!!! :)

I would vote for him adding Atmos mixes on Blu-ray if he is going to get into that arena! Please don't limit it to classical! I would like some Rock/Pop and Jazz titles as well!!! :)
Vocalion has put out a spectacular array of quality Quad SACDs and I for one, hope they stick with this format, even if new 5.1 mixes are released.

Vocalion has put out a spectacular array of quality Quad SACDs and I for one, hope they stick with this format, even if new 5.1 mixes are released.
I think the only physical format that currently supports an Atmos release is Blu-ray, but I may be wrong. I hope they stick with releasing Quad on SACD but if they want to get into the immersive audio of Atmos, and want to sell it on disc, they will probably need to put it on Blu-ray disks. The nice thing about the Blu-ray format is they could put both a Quad version and Atmos version on the same disk, and more people have Blu-ray players than SACD players.

A lot of artists are moving to Atmos music so it would be great to see what Mr. Dutton could do with the format.

Well they are a small company and with higher licensing fees for bluray I would be afraid this will derail them from their main business. From a selfish viewpoint I want to see them continue to release old quad mixes not spend money to create new ones that might not be of interest to their customer base.

Well they are a small company and with higher licensing fees for bluray I would be afraid this will derail them from their main business. From a selfish viewpoint I want to see them continue to release old quad mixes not spend money to create new ones that might not be of interest to their customer base.
I agree, Jeffie! And IMO, the reason D~V chose the hybrid SACD is that the included CD layer is more compatible to their original customer base! And to keep prices down [actually on par with their RBCD releases including two~fers] and the proximity of the Austrian SACD pressing plants, Michael has chosen wisely!

And that option to release ATMOS on BD~A might be a future endeavor for the company but as of now ... If It Ain't Broke ... don't fix it!

When I spoke to Mike recently to talk about plans for the rest of this year he also mentioned that his studio is now equipped for object-based surround mixing, and he's done immersive mixes of some of his recent classical SACD offerings, including the recent Mancini/Galway release.
I would gladly buy SACD content and new immersive content on Blu-ray from Dutton. It would be nice if he could make some money back on his investment in the object-based surround mixing equipment/tools he has purchased, plus he is certainly entitled to pursue his passions and interests if he is interested in immersive mixing such as Atmos.

Question for the group. So when DV releases a new SACD with a quad mix, does someone actual remix the album? Or do they just get the mixed down quad master tapes and polish and fix them?

In other words, is there any chance of ever getting something never before released in 4 channel, actually released in 4 channel?

Back