DVD-A coming to Sony universal player. Yes, DVD-Audio!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not buying another Oppo until it can play cardboard :)

Hahaha.. that reminds me of an Elton concert where he introduced a song one time saying;

"This is a number from the album 'The Fox', which sold so badly it went cardboard.."
(as opposed to his more customary gold sellers, I guess! :eek: )

and a member of the audience piped up: "Oh I've got it!",

to which Elton replied: "I said The Fox, not The Pox.."

:ugham:

I asked at my local HMV shop and they gave me a blank stare. When I explained it to the manager, she told me the "new"" thing was "vinyls" and they weren't gonna waste time on things no one knew about. I left without a purchase. Not to mention they have a Crosley portable record player with an 80's reissue of Rumours that looks like it was used for a Hot Wheels race track, wipe outs included. Even they thought it wasn't worth using for the current stock.

Then they spent some time wondering why people are shopping online instead.

I can remember way back that I always made a beeline for the record stores when visiting Toronto. One trip I asked a staff guy if they had any Pink Floyd Quad. We rechecked the slim quad section and he said he'd check in the basement for me. I said Thanks but he didn't have to go to any big trouble for me. He said if he thought it was too much trouble he'd have just said Sorry, we don't have any. ;) I browsed for a while and he eventually surfaced with Atom Heart Mother and Wish You Were Here in hand. My hero! :sun

I saw that player online about a few seconds ago and checked back with the forum. Glad that there was already a thread about it here! :)

Anyone here found some information regarding the handling of Files via USB (for example)? I almost pulled the trigger on a Sony BDP-S7200 a while back, just after I bought my new Marantz AVR. Dumb me back then thought that it could handle multi channel DSD files over USB, but no, silly me was wrong. It could only do Stereo (not lame, but not that great either) via USB.

Now: if this holds up to be a true SACD AND DVD-Audio Player I'll probably end my plans to just buy a small and silent audio only HTPC for my DVD-Audio Collection (of which I can only access the lossy surround formats as of writing this). If (and that's a big IF) it can play DSD MCH via USB. That would be freakin' fantastic!

From what I have read, UHD players should hit the market in March, so Sony's 1080P player is a day late and a dollar short.

I am a HUGE fan of 4K. Most films are shot in 4K and if you equated traditional film to digital you'd get roughly 4000ish x 2000ish.

So for the first time in human existence we get to purchase home movies that are native resolution. That is pretty incredible to a guy like me who grew up with 230i TV. :rolleyes:

There's a lot more to getting 4k home content than what any given film is "shot" in. Doesn't matter if the film is shot in 16k, if the transfer is 2k, 2k's all you're getting.
Of the announced UHD titles only about 3 are native 4k transfers.
Then there's HDMI. You need HDMI 2.0a gear to pass a 4k signal.
Then you need a display capable of 4k but surprisingly that isn't a deal breaker right now. I saw new gen JVC 1080 projectors vs new gen Sony 4k projector and the JVCs were better.
More importantly you need a display that can process the BT.2020 color space which is wider than the REC.709 color space(HD spec).
Honestly so far, the difference I've seen between 2k and 4k on home systems as far as resolution is not that significant.
With most people already sitting too far from 1080 flat panels to really resolve a 1080 pixel people are going to need to buy larger sets and sit much closer.

The early reviews on the Samsung UHD player stink.
The reviews I saw of The Martian UHD disc reported banding artifacts.
I know this thread has gotten OT, but I for one will not be jumping on the 4k bandwagon at least until a decent player(Oppo) and real content 4k I want is available.
But that's just me. :)

There's a lot more to getting 4k home content than what any given film is "shot" in. Doesn't matter if the film is shot in 16k, if the transfer is 2k, 2k's all you're getting.
Fortunately you could not be more wrong in your assessment of 4K. I have had a 4k tv for almost a year now and I could not be happier. You don't need 4k material to enjoy it. My TV upconverts 1080 automatically (as they all do) and the results are spectacular. It doesn't do so well with really old material, but anything that is new it is hard to tell it from real 4k material.

Also not true. HDMI 1.4 supports 4k at 24, 25 and 30 Hz. You might need HDMI 2.0 for 4k at (up to) 60Hz.
Most releases will be at 24 Hz (like most on 1080p BD are now).

Of the announced UHD titles only about 3 are native 4k transfers.
Then you need a display capable of 4k but surprisingly that isn't a deal breaker right now. I saw new gen JVC 1080 projectors vs new gen Sony 4k projector and the JVCs were better.
More importantly you need a display that can process the BT.2020 color space which is wider than the REC.709 color space(HD spec).
Honestly so far, the difference I've seen between 2k and 4k on home systems as far as resolution is not that significant.
With most people already sitting too far from 1080 flat panels to really resolve a 1080 pixel people are going to need to buy larger sets and sit much closer.

The early reviews on the Samsung UHD player stink.
The reviews I saw of The Martian UHD disc reported banding artifacts.
I know this thread has gotten OT, but I for one will not be jumping on the 4k bandwagon at least until a decent player(Oppo) and real content 4k I want is available.
But that's just me. :)

Hi Milt,

Yes, I agree there will be "growing pains" with some hardware & content. I was speaking in general. I certainly am not running out to buy a 4K screen or 4K BluRay any time soon, but I remain a true believer in resolutions above 1080i for broadcast and 1080p for media.

Most of us here understand that a quality viewing at any resolution depends on the proper size screen/viewing distance. But no doubt we will get a huge bump in quality from 4K. Having said that, I should think 4K mandates a 70" screen or above.

You mention projectors. Yes, that will be an evolutionary issue. Quality 1080 projectors too a long time to show up at affordable prices, same for 4K I suppose.

Like you say a movie is only as good as its transfer resolution. It will take a while. Lord knows the DVD roll out was anything but smooth & quick.

What I am looking for are sports broadcasts in 4K and all my movies mastered in 4K. :smokin

"The Force Awakens" would be a great candidate for a 4K transfer/home video release that could boost 4k player/monitor sales! (It would likely turn me to the darkside...)

(sorry...way off topic:mad:@:)

Some German Retailers already have the UHP-H1 Player ready for pre-order. And the official German Sony Page says it will cost a whopping 399€! :yikes

Not that's not what I would've thought it would cost me. Silent HTPC here I come.

Some German Retailers already have the UHP-H1 Player ready for pre-order. And the official German Sony Page says it will cost a whopping 399€! :yikes

Not that's not what I would've thought it would cost me. Silent HTPC here I come.

400 Euros is stupid money for a plastic disc player and all of its limitations, I agree with you 100%. May I suggest this for a HTPC?

http://fudzilla.com/news/processors/39881-minix-ngc-1-passive-braswell-is-out

free picture upload

Cheers,

DMJ

I'm surprised to see criticism of a €400 player on a site where Oppos are popular.

I'm surprised to see criticism of a €400 player on a site where Oppos are popular.

All plastic, much smaller than your standard gear. Plus the accommodating Marantz / Denon / Yamaha […] are not that much more, but promise far greater looks and build quality. At least to my liking.

Sony has updated the page for the UHP-H1. The format logo collection includes Blu-ray, Super Audio CD, DVD-AUDIO, DVD-VIDEO and COMPACT disc. Whoo hoo!

My Vizio 4k TV upscales everything to 4k and does a knockout job. I don't need some player to upscale.

Back