DVD-A to DTS CD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Quadfather

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I am curious if there is a way to rip the DTS track from a DVD-A to a CD-R so I can listen to my surround DVDs on my Clarion car system. It can decode either DD or DTS, DTS is preferred, but DD is ok for this application. I tried feeding the DTS output from my DVD player into a CD recorder, but the recorder wouldn't roll. I reckon this idea was just too simplistic to work, but I should be able to do it on a computer. If this has already been discussed, just point me to the thread. Thanks,

The Quadfather

The DTS files included in a DVD-A disc, generally in the Video_TS folder, are all at 48KHz.
To take these into DTS-WAV, which is a 44.1KHz file that looks like a stereo WAV file to a writing application, means you need to demux the DTS stream, resample it to 44.1 and then finally re encode back into DTS-WAV.
The quality hit is going to be dreadful.
And worst of all, it cannot be done except with reverse engineered utilities that are unsupported and may not work too well anyway.
There are no official DTS decoders - except a CAD4 or a CAD5 hardware box.
DTS do not approve of this.

There is a utility called Hypercube, but it is also dependant on certain filters being present.

Best of luck - you are going to need it.

The easiest way is to simply record the output from playback.

Hi with DTS surround tools isn't it possible to change the header of the example.dts file to example.wav because i'm sure the stream can stay as original there is no need to re-encode if you are able to retaoin the original stream. but the specific requirements are that DTS stream is contained with in a WAV 16/44.1 header so that the CD application can recognise it once this is outputted to CD. from the CD via digital out the amp should recognise the DTS stream. i've heard of a program called DTSParser v2 which fixes DTS streams. but it doesn't give dts-wav.

Hi with DTS surround tools isn't it possible to change the header of the example.dts file to example.wav because i'm sure the stream can stay as original there is no need to re-encode if you are able to retaoin the original stream. but the specific requirements are that DTS stream is contained with in a WAV 16/44.1 header so that the CD application can recognise it once this is outputted to CD. from the CD via digital out the amp should recognise the DTS stream. i've heard of a program called DTSParser v2 which fixes DTS streams. but it doesn't give dts-wav.

Er, no.
a .dts stream will be at either 48 or 96KHz, and if at 96KHz will be carrying extensions to the core.
You're talking about DTS-CD here, which is a completely different animal.
DTS core uses Motorola settings (Big Endian) where DTS-CD uses Intel (Little Endian) so the LSB is the wrong way around too, meaning that even if you did attempt what you say, you would be guaranteed to end up with not only white noise, and that is if you can get around the problem of the track playing back too fast - DTS uses 48KHz, DTS-CD uses 44.1 and it's not a fudged header either. AFAIK, the header fudge is just a way of telling a CD-Audio creation tool that it is seeing not a DTS multiplex, but a 16/44.1 Stereo interleave instead.

EDIT.
(I forgot this bit - sorry!)
DTS "decoder" tools are all hacks. The best out there is one called "Tranzcode".
DTS do have decoders in hardware, and the new DTS-HD MAS suite also contains a stream player plugin for ProTools or PTLE.
DTS have never officially released any software stream decoders at all.

You use The Creative Labs 610 encoder
6 Channel's out from the DVD/A player into the encoder then DTS stream into a TASCAM CD recoder you can also do SACD also
I have don it and it is easy but it takes real time recording
65 Min takes 65 Min to record
not all CD recoredrs can do it
Ron

The DTS files included in a DVD-A disc, generally in the Video_TS folder, are all at 48KHz.
To take these into DTS-WAV, which is a 44.1KHz file that looks like a stereo WAV file to a writing application, means you need to demux the DTS stream, resample it to 44.1 and then finally re encode back into DTS-WAV.
The quality hit is going to be dreadful.
And worst of all, it cannot be done except with reverse engineered utilities that are unsupported and may not work too well anyway.
There are no official DTS decoders - except a CAD4 or a CAD5 hardware box.
DTS do not approve of this.

There is a utility called Hypercube, but it is also dependant on certain filters being present.

Best of luck - you are going to need it.

The easiest way is to simply record the output from playback.

What if you just recorded the playback in real time on your PC at the standard 16/44.1, then created the DTS CD? Wouldn't that keep the quality hit from being "dreadful"?

I'm going back to the 610 DTS unit to test SACD dubbing to DTS again, now that the audio card issue is solved (M-Audio 410 had a conflict causing stutter).

Rather than sweat the copying the 48K DTS, if the DVD-A output was captured as DTS 44.1K that would seem like better quality anyway.

Duh: How are the track pauses handled? DTS continuous in some kind of mute mode until next?

Back