ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since Greg Lake supposedly approved the first two Wilson mixes, I can't think of any reason why he wouldn't employ him again to do any subsequent albums, unless Mr. Wilson were simply too busy to do them. Regardless, as time moves on I'm getting a more ominous feeling that two is all we may get. I'd like to hear more 5.1 Crimson, too, and am baffled why some of this takes so long between releases. I hope none of this is due to lack of sales, though I can say that it's a pity that, while I could find all of these at places like Barnes & Noble at some point, only a few turned up at Best Buy and none at Walmart, the latter essential to garnering catalog sales of any significance.

ED :)

Since Greg Lake supposedly approved the first two Wilson mixes, I can't think of any reason why he wouldn't employ him again to do any subsequent albums, unless Mr. Wilson were simply too busy to do them.

Steven has said that he passed on doing any more ELP, so if they're being done it's by someone else.

I wouldn't mind having some Elliot Scheiner ELP in 5.1.... ;) ;)
I'm not sure it'd be his "kind of thing" but if you don't ask, you don't get, do you..!?

hmm.. gets me thinking.. I wonder what Sony's own surround supremo's are upto these days?

I'm thinking of the likes of those great guys that did Sony's single layer SACD multichannel mixes back in the day.. whatever happened to..

.. Thom Cadley?
(created the surround mixes for a lot of Sony's contemporary rock/pop/r&b SACDs, including Beyonce, Destinys Child, Mary Mary, Kelly Rowland.. he used to post here at QQ..!)

.. Frank Filipetti?
(responsible for the AMAZING surround mix on the Five for Fighting "America Town" SACD)

..Jimmy Douglass?
(produced amazing surround mixes of Ginuwine's "The Life" and Marvin Gaye's "Midnight Love")

how about Bob Clearmountain!? his surround mixes are always excellent.

George Massenburg did a great job on the Mary Chapin Carpenter SACD..

or Sony could try and coax John Kellogg into working his magic on more ELP in 5.1..!? ;)

most folks never thought there was much wrong with his surround mix of "Lucky Man", til 10 years + had gone by and we got SW's version!

(of course I'm kind of playing devil's advocate a bit..)

... but it illustrates the point there have been a fair few amazing mixers of surround, some unsung heroes if you like.. so as wonderful as SW is, he isn't alone. it just feels like he is, these days!

maybe if these first two ELP DVD-A's have proven themselves sales wise, Sony could take the initiative and get someone else to have a stab at remixing "Trilogy" etc...!?!?

Haven't been here in ages...
To quote an album I mixed in 5.1 .... "I'm Not Dead Yet"!!! LOL!!!
Spent the last few years mixing for Guitar Hero, Rock Band, a few DVDs, etc...
I'd be happy to mix more 5.1 if I could make a living at it.
What 5.1 needs is a "patron of the art" !!!
Anyone know someone rich who loves 5.1? :)

Im working on it. But havent won the lottery yet. And work isnt giving me that much money. But i will be working for the cause

Umm, guys..............this thread is now up to 48 pages. I think it's time to put it to bed. Keep conversations going on a new thread but give this one a rest. Just a thought...

hey hey HEY..!! :D

Really good to hear from you on here!!

Haha!! Very glad you're not dead yet! I wish your Pink 5.1 mix were on SACD back in the day and not just Dolby Dig.., its a stonker of a surround mix you did for that album, it deserves the best sound!

I read that you were now doing a lot of work remixing the stems for GH, RB, etc.. I found a really cool article online about you discussing your latest projects and linked to it here on QQ a wee while back.

Would you be interested in mixing the rest of the ELP classic back catalogue into surround?

Welcome back, ThomC. Hope all is well and there's more for you to do.

My source, the same as the first two albums.
And you are correct that Steven is not doing the mixes.

Do you know who is doing the rest of the catalog?
If I knew who to call I'd throw my hat into the ring....

Do you know who is doing the rest of the catalog?
If I knew who to call I'd throw my hat into the ring....

I just got the Tarkus 3 cd set in the mail. haven't played it yet, but I have a question. It arrived shrink wrapped , I opened it up and there was no booklet, no liner notes, etc, etc. I have the first ELP deluxe edition-that came with a booklet.
I'd appreciate anyone who has the second ELP Tarkus to let me know. I thought it was strange that there would be no booklet.

Does your copy have "Unknown Ballad"? I don't see that track listed on Amazon.com. Maybe when they removed the track they also removed the booklet which mentions that track. :mad:@:

I just got the Tarkus 3 cd set in the mail. haven't played it yet, but I have a question. It arrived shrink wrapped , I opened it up and there was no booklet, no liner notes, etc, etc. I have the first ELP deluxe edition-that came with a booklet.
I'd appreciate anyone who has the second ELP Tarkus to let me know. I thought it was strange that there would be no booklet.

Could be that to eliminate the offending track the booklets had to be tossed out since they would have listed the track. Most sales occur when an item is first released anyway so they probably figured most sales had already taken place and it wasn't worth printing new booklets.

Exactly...

Could be that to eliminate the offending track the booklets had to be tossed out since they would have listed the track. Most sales occur when an item is first released anyway so they probably figured most sales had already taken place and it wasn't worth printing new booklets.

Back